5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Best removable tonneau option for rambox models?

purz

Reaction score
Was hoping to figure this out through old threads but the information is mixed and no really talks about taking them off. I'm looking at both roll and folding options, hard would be nice but if there are no hards that are pretty quick / easy to remove then soft it is. I think with rollups they should be fine staying on as long as you can drive long distances with the metal ones up (never had one before). Truxedo Sentry seems like spotty reviews on here, not sure what other metal rollups are avail for rambox. I know the mopar tri fold hard is a bakflip x4? I believe. Does that remove easily? Are the extra rails instrusive or do they have sharp edges? Or any other hard tri fold? I was leaning towards the trifecta 2.0 canvas if a hard cover isn't going to work. From old threads in general it seems like there are a lot of tailgate sealing issues for most covers.

Alejandro_Andretti

Reaction score
Was hoping to figure this out through old threads but the information is mixed and no really talks about taking them off. I'm looking at both roll and folding options, hard would be nice but if there are no hards that are pretty quick / easy to remove then soft it is. I think with rollups they should be fine staying on as long as you can drive long distances with the metal ones up (never had one before). Truxedo Sentry seems like spotty reviews on here, not sure what other metal rollups are avail for rambox. I know the mopar tri fold hard is a bakflip x4? I believe. Does that remove easily? Are the extra rails instrusive or do they have sharp edges? Or any other hard tri fold? I was leaning towards the trifecta 2.0 canvas if a hard cover isn't going to work. From old threads in general it seems like there are a lot of tailgate sealing issues for most covers.
Truxedo sentry CT, easily installed easily removed. Looks great and with th aluminum slats it’ll keep your cargo secure

Reyemon

Reaction score
Undercover flex. It says it won't work with a MFT but worked fine on rbox w MFT

TNReb05

Reaction score
I came to post a similar question. I had the BakFlip MX4 on my previous truck and liked it.

Does anyone know if it will work with the 2020 RamBox models that have the rails with sliding tie downs? Or do those rails have to be removed?

Skater

Reaction score
Here's your thread . . .

There is a lot in that thread about Ramboxes and tonneau covers.

dts828

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I have the trifecta 2.0 canvas on my rebel with ram boxes and love it especially for the price I paid for it(Amazon like new return). I was concerned that I wouldn't have access as I would have with bak flip but for can remove the cover in less than 5 minutes. I personally only new full access 1-2 times a year so this lower price option was a place? I also like the canvas option compared to some of the vinyl roll ups or tri-folds that tend to dry out and crack/peel after they have aged. Only negative is with the canvas will sag and collect water when rains. Once you drive the water will fall off and the canvas will return to its normal look. I installed and sealed per directions and don't get any water in the bed.

Sent from my GM1917 using Tapatalk

purz

Reaction score
For anyone that has the SentryCT with rambox, maybe without too, does the rail / bracket stick out further than the factory plastic rail tiedowns? I'm between the SentryCT and the lomax, leaning towards the sentry since I should be able to leave it on with mtb's / dirtbike in but trying to figure out how much more it's going to stick in compared to the lomax.

RamGreg

Reaction score
We (wife and I) have two 2020 RAM 1500s with RamBoxes and MFT each. I just put a BAKFlip on each one; easy installation. They were each ordered thru Amazon - (BAK MX4 Hard Folding Truck Bed Tonneau Cover 448227RB).
The cover rails slide in over the existing factory rails. Following instructions, you can either leave one set of the sliding tie downs forward of the tonneau bracing locks (used when the cover is folded up against the can) or both sets can be toward the rearward part of the bed. Removal of the cover for full bed access is accomplished by two star knobs - one on each side under the front mounts of the tonneau rail

RamGreg

Reaction score
Incidentally, (I forgot to mention) - the BAKFlip rails on each RamBox slid on easily locking on top of the factory rails - I used WD40 on one and Silicone spray on the other - pushed them in by hand - did not have to use the wood block and hammer needed by others I have see on the posts.

Would appreciate any comments on sealing the MFT; I have been experimenting with one of the trucks with pretty good success but not necessarily pretty results. The same half round "bumper" material - three pieces that come with the BAKFlip - used to cushion the folded up cover against the cab....a short piece (5 inches or so) works nicely between the two sides of the MFT where they meet at the top.

Alejandro_Andretti

Reaction score
For anyone that has the SentryCT with rambox, maybe without too, does the rail / bracket stick out further than the factory plastic rail tiedowns? I'm between the SentryCT and the lomax, leaning towards the sentry since I should be able to leave it on with mtb's / dirtbike in but trying to figure out how much more it's going to stick in compared to the lomax.
I have it bro but idk what you’re asking

purz

Reaction score
I have it bro but idk what you’re asking
The factory plastic tiedowns on the utility rail. Do those plastic pieces stick into the box further than the support rails for the SentryCT? Guess it doesn't matter much now cause I ordered it. Just hoping oversized things I load into my bed are more likely to contact the plastic tiedowns before they hit the metal rail. Looks like its rounded though so if it does stick into the box more than the tiedowns it probably won't beat anything up.

Users who are viewing this thread