5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Best oil for eco diesel

J-Cooz

Ram Guru
Reaction score
That may be what I end up running if I can find it around. I'm an amsoil preffered sucker for my hemi, so I'm debating on using their euro oil even though it doesn't say ms 1299 or whatever that code is. If your running a good 5w40 synthetic, you wouldn't think they would fight you too bad if she blows up
That's not a gamble I'd be willing to take on a $20k engine. Run the manufacturer recommended oil.

Sent from my SM-G781W using Tapatalk

NorthStar

Ram Guru
Reaction score
That's not a gamble I'd be willing to take on a $20k engine. Run the manufacturer recommended oil.

I recommend you both get better informed on that oil as it meets the spec! I’ve utilized it for previous changes and it meets spec MS-12991.

There is no gamble - a uninformed ridiculous statement to make!

Reactions: Ike

J-Cooz

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I recommend you both get better informed on that oil as it meets the spec! I’ve utilized it for previous changes and it meets spec MS-12991.

If it meets the spec then there's no issues. I was simply referring to my original quote to the poster who said that he was going to run an oil that didn't meet MS12991 spec.

Last edited:

djevox

VP of Creative Thinking
Staff member
Site Supporter
Reaction score

I think we both know you’re in the right here. I even posted the same thing about meeting spec right after that guy responded to me to let him know it’s a good option.

NorthStar

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I think we both know you’re in the right here. I even posted the same thing about meeting spec right after that guy responded to me to let him know it’s a good option.
Thanks.

I just want to be certain the average reader who reads substandard grammar understands the oil you and I have both purchased - as well as others- is complaint with the spec. And most of us including J-Cooz comprehends a “good 5w40 synthetic oil” is subjective and the only thing that counts is compliance with the spec.

J-Cooz

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I think the bottom line is, use any oil that meets MS12991 spec. Whatever brand you choose is up to you.

Running an oil that doesn't meet these specs probably won't hurt the engine, but god forbid if something happens the dealer will surely be looking at what oil you ran. If they were to find out it's not the proper spec they could cancel the warranty and it could be extremely costly (I've heard this ecodiesel to replace is 20k plus).

I run a rebranded Shell Penzoil called Motomaster that meets MS12991 and it frequently goes on sale for $22 for 5l (Canada). I change my oil around 10-12k kms (usually around 20-30% OLM remaining).

J-Cooz

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Thanks.

I just want to be certain the average reader who reads substandard grammar understands the oil you and I have both purchased - as well as others- is complaint with the spec. And most of us including J-Cooz comprehends a “good 5w40 synthetic oil” is subjective and the only thing that counts is compliance with the spec.
Apologize for being grumpy. I'm stuck at home with covid. Reading too much into things.

djevox

VP of Creative Thinking
Staff member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Thanks.

Since we’re all talking about it, I’ll post a pic of the back of the jug. This is for anyone who can’t find a picture of the back of the jug online.
95F9F179-F5D0-482F-BBB4-8013711AF9FE.jpeg

NorthStar

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Apologize for being grumpy. I'm stuck at home with covid. Reading too much into things.

You too? Me and my wife as well. This crap has become as common as the common cold. Hope you start feeling better soon.

J-Cooz

Ram Guru
Reaction score
You too? Me and my wife as well. This crap has become as common as the common cold. Hope you start feeling better soon.
Same..girlfiend and I. No sypmtoms for her, mild for me.

Hope you feel better too! I just took my Ram for a drive because it hasn't moved in 5 days and it's cold as hell. I didn't want the battery to die.

djevox

VP of Creative Thinking
Staff member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Same..girlfiend and I. No sypmtoms for her, mild for me.

Hope you feel better too! I just took my Ram for a drive because it hasn't moved in 5 days and it's cold as hell. I didn't want the battery to die.

We had family coming in for Christmas from Vegas, North Carolina, Rhode Island, and my parents were driving in from another part of Md. Four days before Christmas, my son got an intense fever out of nowhere and it was COVID. Everyone cancelled, and I had to cancel one doctors appointment that I waited 6 months for. I now have to wait until the beginning of March for that appointment. It sucked big time.

saulster

Reaction score
slight change of topic...

How much is an Oil Change running for an ecodiesel? I have never owned a diesel and don't plan to go back to the dealer very often but I want the first appointment to be there and I see that Ram is running a couple of oil change specials but none are for the Ecodiesel but they do have ones for the Cummins.

I am going to go full synthetic so I am expecting about $150 plus fees but was hoping I could find a discount coupon
My selling dealer wants $500+ for the 10K oil change service!! Hummm, seems a wee bit high to me! Another RAM dealer close by apologized for quoting me $175, says that's high due to larger oil capacity and full synthetic requirement.

Both dealers recommend the Shell Rotella T6. Cheapest price on that by far has been at of all placed Home Depot! Paid $23 for a one gallon jug.........

NorthStar

Ram Guru
Reaction score
My selling dealer wants $500+ for the 10K oil change service!! Hummm, seems a wee bit high to me! Another RAM dealer close by apologized for quoting me $175, says that's high due to larger oil capacity and full synthetic requirement.

Both dealers recommend the Shell Rotella T6. Cheapest price on that by far has been at of all placed Home Depot! Paid $23 for a one gallon jug.........
Yes, $500 is ridiculous.

Ask the dealers if Shell Rotella T6 meets the spec indicated in the owner's manual - which it does not - and if they say it does, then ask them if they're going to honor the warranty if the non-spec oil causes an issue...and ensure to get that in writing. T6 is a very good oil but I wouldn't trust any dealer putting it into a Gen 3 engine as it would give the next dealer the opportunity to deny an engine claim under warranty.

J-Cooz

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Insane that after this long dealers are still trying to use the wrong oil in the 3rd gen.

raj

Reaction score
Agree. I’ve used it as well for my first two oil changes but now can no longer get it at any of the Walmart's within 100 miles of me...or online. So, I resorted to ordering Pennzoil from Amazon at a higher price and hope Walmart stocks it again.
I ordered 4 jugs of the Quaker State from Walmart online for $17.99 each. Free shipping. showed up in 4 days

Users who are viewing this thread