5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Best Hard Tonneau Cover for 2019 1500 5'7" bed

cj7

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Hi cj7,
When you say “not perfect”, do you mind elaborating on what you didn’t/don’t like about it? I just order an SE to be shipped to me in early March.
Thank you,
Matt
The only downsides are:
- it’s a bit cumbersome to remove. Nothing‘s too heavy, just awkward.
- the opening angle is slightly less than I’d like, but still good.
- currently available racks mounted on top of it, have to be removed to open the top covers. I’m working on a rack that mounts in the fixed, middle section and on the cab roof, so the cover can be opened with the kayaks overhead.

That said, as close to perfect as I’ve found for the MFT. No other cover has proven as waterproof, sturdy (I walk on it regularly), and functional.

Jako

Spends too much time on here
Reaction score
Hi cj7,
When you say “not perfect”, do you mind elaborating on what you didn’t/don’t like about it? I just order an SE to be shipped to me in early March.
Thank you,
Matt
I have a HD Diamond Back. The main draw back is if you want full bed access. You will have to remove the 4 bolts holding the center mounting strip. This is not a deal breaker as it is easy to do. But it depends on time and some planning. When moving my snow blower I need to drive with the tailgate down unless I remove the cover.

BUT if I had the correct ramps I could load the snow blower on top of the cover as it is made to hold 1600 lbs.

Last edited:
Reactions: cj7

Moestavern33

Reaction score
Thx Cj7 and Jako. I really excited for this cover to arrive. I think it’s gonna be perfect for me. I don’t need the bed for traditional bed use. More like trunk space for my fishing gear. So I want all my stuff to stay dry and secure. Being able to walk on it was a huge plus for me with my work. A few places I need to reach from the back of the truck cause me to have to put a step ladder in the bed. Stoked I won’t have to do that anymore. 😂
Appreciate the info guys.

Jako

Reaction score
Thx Cj7 and Jako. I really excited for this cover to arrive. I think it’s gonna be perfect for me. I don’t need the bed for traditional bed use. More like trunk space for my fishing gear. So I want all my stuff to stay dry and secure. Being able to walk on it was a huge plus for me with my work. A few places I need to reach from the back of the truck cause me to have to put a step ladder in the bed. Stoked I won’t have to do that anymore. 😂
Appreciate the info guys.
Best of luck, great company to deal with.

Supercraig1

Reaction score
hey all i'm new here. I just picked up a 19 rebel with spray in bed liner. I live in the city and need something that is secure. Also want something that can get out of the way easily for when I throw a track bike or dirt bike in the back (so lighter is better for that purpose). I was eying the lomax as it looks to remove easily. But as I read this thread each cover seems to have it good features. It's hard to tell if the ones like the bakflip that fold up behind the rear window are enough out of the way for motorcycle loading or not (don't want to beat up the folded cover with the front wheels of the bike). Anyone use their covers in this way and can talk me into making a damn decision on which cover is best for this application?

cj7

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I have similar uses: dual sport or track bike, or camp gear when towing an RV, etc. In the past, I had the fold-up type, and some get out of the way enough to put a bike in the back. Last folding one I had was the best (Fold-a-Cover G4 Elite) but these don’t work for RAM 1500s with MFT.

I have a thing against tonneau covers that mount inside the bed. Rails and such that allow the cover to fit flush, fit lower than the bed rails, take up space, can be damaged when the covers not on, leak, etc. So I always stick with covers that fit on top of the bed.

There are covers that completely fold out of the way, but for my current truck, I went Diamondback SE. Two independent folding sections with one small center fixed section. Can walk or load on top of it. Completely removes for hauling bikes - take the two 35# sections off, then four screws, done. Not as easy as folding three or four sections against the rear window, but still less than 20min job.

Mine has not leaked at all, has been on and off many times, looks killer, and is Very sturdy.

Jako

Reaction score
I have similar uses: dual sport or track bike, or camp gear when towing an RV, etc. In the past, I had the fold-up type, and some get out of the way enough to put a bike in the back. Last folding one I had was the best (Fold-a-Cover G4 Elite) but these don’t work for RAM 1500s with MFT.

I have a thing against tonneau covers that mount inside the bed. Rails and such that allow the cover to fit flush, fit lower than the bed rails, take up space, can be damaged when the covers not on, leak, etc. So I always stick with covers that fit on top of the bed.

There are covers that completely fold out of the way, but for my current truck, I went Diamondback SE. Two independent folding sections with one small center fixed section. Can walk or load on top of it. Completely removes for hauling bikes - take the two 35# sections off, then four screws, done. Not as easy as folding three or four sections against the rear window, but still less than 20min job.

Mine has not leaked at all, has been on and off many times, looks killer, and is Very sturdy.
Great company and great product, I also have the DiamondBack. The downside is it takes a little pre planning for removal and the cost. But you do get what you pay for - a great product. It is probably the best security, accessibility and removal/reinstall available.

jmcdtucson

Reaction score
Maybe this is a stupid question, but can you add a rack system with any of these covers? Or do you have to get a specific cover that supports adding racks like Yakima, etc.

Jako

Reaction score
Maybe this is a stupid question, but can you add a rack system with any of these covers? Or do you have to get a specific cover that supports adding racks like Yakima, etc.
FYI, DiamondBack accessories

UNL67Volvo

Reaction score
I was told today by Undercover Truck Bed Covers that it WILL NOT fit since I have the factory BUG bed utility group with the BLACK cargo management rails. So I guess I wont be purchasing that cover. Funny that no site even mentions that the cover wont work with the black color factory cargo rails.
I ordered a '21 Limited with BUG (bed utility group). No MFT or Ram boxes. Is it true that I can't install an Undercover tonneau now due to the BUG?!

Jako

Reaction score
I ordered a '21 Limited with BUG (bed utility group). No MFT or Ram boxes. Is it true that I can't install an Undercover tonneau now due to the BUG?!
I believe that issue is with the Ram boxes. I have the rails in my regular 5' 7" bed and don't believe it creates any issues with tonneau covers.

UNL67Volvo

Reaction score
Is there a camera or sensor in the 3rd brake light on the cab for a limited with Level 1? Would I be blocking anything if I had an Undercover Armorflex folded up and blocking that brake light? I don't want to compromise the 360 reverse braking or something else.

Sent from my ONEPLUS A6013 using Tapatalk

Gitter

Reaction score
Is there a camera or sensor in the 3rd brake light on the cab for a limited with Level 1? Would I be blocking anything if I had an Undercover Armorflex folded up and blocking that brake light? I don't want to compromise the 360 reverse braking or something else.

Sent from my ONEPLUS A6013 using Tapatalk

That rear camera in the 3rd brake light is only part of the Tech Package. It's not in the limited level 1 package or any other packages/groups.

Gertrude

Reaction score
Looking for suggestions on a bed cover. We have the standard bed with ramboxes with the BUG (bed utility group) with silver rails as well as the MFT (multi-function tailgate). We are looking for a durable bed cover that is pretty secure but also fairly easy to remove if we need access to the full bed. Open to retractable vs. folding, we just want one with good water protection. I just know our options are restricted a bit because we have ramboxes and the MFT.

(I have searched on here, but it's hard to find the posts from people who have the ramboxes and the BUG and the MFT so I thought asking again would be a good idea - sorry if I missed them)

Last edited:

MK19Laramie

Reaction score
This is a great thread as I am in the market for a low profile, hard tri-fold tonneau cover. After spending a good part of my morning reading through here, the BAKFlip MX4 seems like the most popular option.

I was wondering if there was anyone on here that has had any experiences with the Gator EFX or the Rough Country Low Profile?

The primary questions I have are:
How watertight is your cover? (I will be using my bed more as a trunk for longer road trips)
Can you open and close the tailgate without having to open the tonneau cover?

shalakozuni

Reaction score
The install was very easy for my Armorflex. I don't see anything a local installer would do different than what I would do. The warranty on the cover is the same whether you install it yourself or have it professionally installed.
Im having issues with my install. Rails seem to sag down and in to center of the truck qhich keeps it from latching. Also wont close over the tailgate. Need some ibsight if you have it.

Morenar

Reaction score
Im having issues with my install. Rails seem to sag down and in to center of the truck qhich keeps it from latching. Also wont close over the tailgate. Need some ibsight if you have it.
What I noticed is the instructions state where you place the seal on the bulkhead. It should be almost on the edge of it. Then when you install your rails make sure they flush and pushed forward toward the cab where it should touching your bed. I had to also push down to make sure the rails were flushed to the sides of the bed. Once all that was set, I made sure the cover itself sat on that bulkseal but did not overlap it. If It overlapped, it did not create the right seal nor close near the tailgate.

Users who are viewing this thread