5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Best Hard Tonneau Cover for 2019 1500 5'7" bed

DeepH2ODriller

Reaction score
I ordered the Undercover Ultraflex from Peter. It’s been a couple of weeks though and haven’t seen it has even shipped yet. How long did it take yours to arrive?

It took mine a couple weeks to be shipped, but once I got an email saying it shipped, it only took a couple days.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Olive Green 5.7

Reaction score
Break down from my recent purchase from Peter @ TonneauCovered.com

Sent email initially and received email back from Peter almost immediately. Talked about different options and decided on the Bakflip MX4 as well as the Bakbox. It took a couple of weeks and I received an email notification of shipment with tracking number. Received 1 box and confirmed that I only received the Bakbox. I sent Peter an email and he confirmed that things were a little backed up but insisted that I would be receiving an email with tracking info for the tonneau cover itself soon. Sure enough, about a week later I did. This past weekend I installed everything myself and both the cover and the box works as advertised. Could the transaction have happened a little more efficient? Absolutely. That's really the only thing I can knock TonneauCovered.com on. Peter was also quick to respond to questions and inquiries, even over weekends.

Biggest question...would I purchase from TonneauCovered.com again? Yes

DeepH2ODriller

Reaction score
Break down from my recent purchase from Peter @ TonneauCovered.com

Sent email initially and received email back from Peter almost immediately. Talked about different options and decided on the Bakflip MX4 as well as the Bakbox. It took a couple of weeks and I received an email notification of shipment with tracking number. Received 1 box and confirmed that I only received the Bakbox. I sent Peter an email and he confirmed that things were a little backed up but insisted that I would be receiving an email with tracking info for the tonneau cover itself soon. Sure enough, about a week later I did. This past weekend I installed everything myself and both the cover and the box works as advertised. Could the transaction have happened a little more efficient? Absolutely. That's really the only thing I can knock TonneauCovered.com on. Peter was also quick to respond to questions and inquiries, even over weekends.

Biggest question...would I purchase from TonneauCovered.com again? Yes
Yeah, mine was overall a good experience. A little aggravation, but overall good. I work overseas. I contacted Peter and explained this situation. I wanted to pay for the cover on a Thursday, and then wanted the cover to ship on the following Monday. I didn’t want the cover to beat me home and be sitting out in the rain/weather. My understanding, after reading their shipping policies, was that the cover would take a 2-3 days to ship. Peter agreed to wait until the following Monday to ship. Well, he didn’t explain that the order would take 2 weeks to process. I figured order was processed the day I paid, and it was waiting in shipping bay to be shipped. If he would’ve told me that it takes so long to process, he could’ve started the day I ordered. And then, when I sent him an email, several days after I got home asking about when then cover would ship, I feel like he got “smart” with me. This situation took me by surprise due to dealing with so many 3rd party parts companies with good customer service and EXCELLENT order processing/shipping times. And, considering I just spent $800 with a company! But, the cover finally arrived and it arrived in good condition. Most of my disappointment was me wanting to have the cover arrive under MY terms, haha, and wanting to install it as soon as possible. I love the cover and love the deal I got on it.

NoCrow

Reaction score
I ordered the Undercover Ultraflex from Peter. It’s been a couple of weeks though and haven’t seen it has even shipped yet. How long did it take yours to arrive?
I got the ultraflex from them a few months ago. I think they quotes up to 6 weeks it ended up being like about 10 days. But I think they had mine in stock.

Sushiyummy

Reaction score
Hi, I have new BAKFlip MX4 FS on market place, any one interested?

y2karnival

Reaction score
Hello y’all, new to the forum and trucks in general. Was ready to pull the trigger on a cover (once I made a final decision) but glad I came across this thread. Getting my truck on Monday and it has the BUG w/black rails, so who here has installed a cover utilizing the rails. I was looking between MX4, Ultra Flex, and Lomax (though thought I read undercover won’t work). Not looking at buying the silver rails at this time. Thank you for any input and looking forward to modding a truck, used to performance sedans.

broken_vet

Reaction score
Hello y’all, new to the forum and trucks in general. Was ready to pull the trigger on a cover (once I made a final decision) but glad I came across this thread. Getting my truck on Monday and it has the BUG w/black rails, so who here has installed a cover utilizing the rails. I was looking between MX4, Ultra Flex, and Lomax (though thought I read undercover won’t work). Not looking at buying the silver rails at this time. Thank you for any input and looking forward to modding a truck, used to performance sedans.
So the truck had the oem tonneau already on it? If it doesn't, then it should have the silver rails save not the black rails. Having the oem tonneau is pretty much what determines which rails the truck will have. You didn't mention if it will have the Ramboxes. If it doesn't have Ramboxes, then the rails don't come into play when deciding on a tonneau, but I believe that having the MFT on a truck without Ramboxes can limit your tonneau selection because of the corner brackets at the front of the bed.

Someone correct me if any of this is wrong.

y2karnival

Reaction score
So the truck had the oem tonneau already on it? If it doesn't, then it should have the silver rails save not the black rails. Having the oem tonneau is pretty much what determines which rails the truck will have. You didn't mention if it will have the Ramboxes. If it doesn't have Ramboxes, then the rails don't come into play when deciding on a tonneau, but I believe that having the MFT on a truck without Ramboxes can limit your tonneau selection because of the corner brackets at the front of the bed.

Someone correct me if any of this is wrong.
Just checked the video they sent and it definitely has black rails with no tonneau. OEM cover isn’t even on the window sticker. Also, no Ramboxes or multi gate.

Lrpilot

Reaction score
Just checked the video they sent and it definitely has black rails with no tonneau. OEM cover isn’t even on the window sticker. Also, no Ramboxes or multi gate.
Does your truck have the Ramboxes? There is a lot of confusion about the rail colors. I was completely confused about the rail colors too until I got my truck a few weeks ago. So here goes...

The rail colors only matter if you got Ramboxes. If you have Ramboxes AND a factory tonneau cover, you get black rails. If you have Ramboxes and no factory tonneau cover, you get silver rails. The Ramboxes with silver rails are no issue for covers like the Bakflip MX4.

If you don’t have a Ramboxes, then no issue at all. BUG rails are ALWAYS black but they’re mounted lower than the rails everyone talks about who has Ramboxes. The BUG rails are 4-6” below the rails that sit flush with the top of the truck bed. My truck has no Ramboxes but does have the BUG rails. The aftermarket covers like the MX4 I got don’t mount to the BUG rails. They mount to the rails that run along the top of the bed. And yes, my BUG rails were black. So again, if you don’t have Ramboxes, it’s all good. If you do have Ramboxes, you need silver rails which should be there assuming it didn’t come with the factory tonneau.

I can send pics of mine if you need me to. Let me know. Hope this clears the confusion for everyone on BUG rails vs Rambox rails and covers.

B33k

Reaction score
Before I purchased my Ram I was confused on the rails and bed utility group. The rails in the bed utility group are only for movable tie downs and not the tonneau cover. The tonneaus mount up high under the top lip. So if your have the tonneau from ram or other after market you get the rails likely needed. Mine did not have a Ram tonneau but the tonneau I’m waiting for has the rails. Here are some pics of my bed. To me it sounds like what you saw with the BUG.

Attachments

• 8FA0EE62-B20B-4500-96F3-F29C7B6A8DFE.jpeg
    8FA0EE62-B20B-4500-96F3-F29C7B6A8DFE.jpeg
    198.5 KB · Views: 68
  • AA1A2D0E-1BD4-4B0E-8766-5E77E8069274.jpeg
    AA1A2D0E-1BD4-4B0E-8766-5E77E8069274.jpeg
    211.1 KB · Views: 68

Lrpilot

Reaction score
You’ll be fine with a Bakflip MX4 if you want it. I have the same setup as you...no Ramboxes and the Bed Utility Group rails which are black. You can see my BakFlip in the pics, plus the BUG rails I have, and where the Bakflip mounts. The Bakflip mounts to the rail that is flush with the top of the bed and not the BUG rails. There is plenty of clearance between the BUG rails and where the Bakflip mounts.

Attachments

• BBA15861-6B46-4C5F-873A-C2C6CEE13E86.jpeg
    BBA15861-6B46-4C5F-873A-C2C6CEE13E86.jpeg
    112.2 KB · Views: 79
  • 54AA79C6-7580-4844-AE86-C706EF66C36A.jpeg
    54AA79C6-7580-4844-AE86-C706EF66C36A.jpeg
    170.8 KB · Views: 79
  • 429FF121-A1E6-4636-BB70-CD067C990422.jpeg
    429FF121-A1E6-4636-BB70-CD067C990422.jpeg
    221.5 KB · Views: 79

y2karnival

Reaction score
Before I purchased my Ram I was confused on the rails and bed utility group. The rails in the bed utility group are only for movable tie downs and not the tonneau cover. The tonneaus mount up high under the top lip. So if your have the tonneau from ram or other after market you get the rails likely needed. Mine did not have a Ram tonneau but the tonneau I’m waiting for has the rails. Here are some pics of my bed. To me it sounds like what you saw with the BUG.
Thank you for the pictures. I’m like 99.9% sure that is what my bed looks like. So I should be good to go with the MX4? Or do I still need to get silver rails?

Moestavern33

Reaction score
Diamondback SE - really like mine. Not perfect, but ticks off all my requirements.
Hi cj7,
When you say “not perfect”, do you mind elaborating on what you didn’t/don’t like about it? I just order an SE to be shipped to me in early March.
Thank you,
Matt

Lrpilot

Reaction score
No, you don’t need silver rails. That would be the case only if you had Ramboxes.

Lrpilot

Reaction score
No, you don’t need silver rails. That would be the case only if you had Ramboxes.

broken_vet

Reaction score
Thank you for the pictures. I’m like 99.9% sure that is what my bed looks like. So I should be good to go with the MX4? Or do I still need to get silver rails?
No. If you don't have the Ramboxes, then the black rails are fine. I'm not even sure that non-rambox trucks have anything other than black rails. You shouldn't have any issues if you get the MX4, or pretty much any other tonneau.

y2karnival

Reaction score
Thanks, I appreciate the helpful information. Now just need to decide on one.

Lrpilot

Reaction score
Thanks, I appreciate the helpful information. Now just need to decide on one.
For what it is worth, I have the MX4, and I ran it through a touchless high powered car wash a few days ago and only had a small amount of water come in at the tailgate. I have also had it through a couple of torrential downpours in Florida recently and very little water got in.

y2karnival

Reaction score
For what it is worth, I have the MX4, and I ran it through a touchless high powered car wash a few days ago and only had a small amount of water come in at the tailgate. I have also had it through a couple of torrential downpours in Florida recently and very little water got in.
How has the exterior held up? Been reading it scratches easy. Have been leaning towards the MX4 for a while now. Looks nice and sleek.

Lrpilot

Reaction score
How has the exterior held up? Been reading it scratches easy. Have been leaning towards the MX4 for a while now. Looks nice and sleek.
I’ve only had my cover for 3 weeks so I’m probably not the best person to attest to its durability. But so far, no scratches! 🤣

Users who are viewing this thread

Site Vendors

https://www.jasonlewisautomotive.com/