5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Best Hard Tonneau Cover for 2019 1500 5'7" bed

Toolbox

Reaction score
It was really easy. The MX4 rails slide over the stock cargo rails. I had an issue on one side, driver or passenger I can't quite remember not that it matters. One rail slid on without issue just a few little pushes. The other rail was tighter, I wasn't able to budge it with pushing it on so I just grabbed a small rubber mallet and a few taps later it was on. I did use some WD40 on the stock rails prior to installation. After the rails are on it's just a matter of lining up the cover. The total install time for me was around 20 minutes.

I actually like how the rails mount on this cover compared to my last one. No clamps to come loose over time and I pity the person who tries to remove those rails!
Just installed my mx4 yesterday with the ram boxes As stated it’s real easy. Only issue I had was I didn’t see the supplemental instructions in the box. So I spent a few Head scratching minutes wondering what the rail clamps were fire before realizing they weren’t needed. Also agreed the rail mounts are much better.

Attachments

• D8D704BA-7388-4249-9BE9-34B218691D6D.jpeg
    D8D704BA-7388-4249-9BE9-34B218691D6D.jpeg
    236.4 KB · Views: 103

HydroRebel

Reaction score
Just installed my mx4 yesterday with the ram boxes As stated it’s real easy. Only issue I had was I didn’t see the supplemental instructions in the box. So I spent a few Head scratching minutes wondering what the rail clamps were fire before realizing they weren’t needed. Also agreed the rail mounts are much better.
Interesting, I don't recall now if I had any rail clamps come with mine. I don't think I did but I'm not 100% sure.

jastevenson

Reaction score
Does the MX4 work with the rails that come on Rams equipped with the Bed Utility Group? Is there any special modification required?

Thanks!

Toolbox

Reaction score
Interesting, I don't recall now if I had any rail clamps come with mine. I don't think I did but I'm not 100% sure.
Ya. I have the ram boxes? Not sure if it’s different but I had black clamps but looks like maybe that was for a different year or install. Threw me for a minute but figured out they weren’t needed.

Toolbox

Reaction score
Does the MX4 work with the rails that come on Rams equipped with the Bed Utility Group? Is there any special modification required?

Thanks!
If you have the black rails which came with the Mopar cover you will need to order the silver rails. I had the same issue. Not sure which rails come with the BUG.

Attachments

• 66FFE686-A47A-4113-9087-1E5AEAB62303.png
    66FFE686-A47A-4113-9087-1E5AEAB62303.png
    241 KB · Views: 44

BP24

Reaction score
For you guys that have the Lomax, where are you finding the best prices? Also did you get the Matt Black or the Black Urethane?
Matte black for me, purchased from Nick @ gotexhaust.com

Attachments

• 01B6259C-C920-4B05-91B7-7F05E8680DA8.jpeg
    01B6259C-C920-4B05-91B7-7F05E8680DA8.jpeg
    188.6 KB · Views: 124
  • 27C75882-6060-40C2-A696-E6FF2F59B2E4.jpeg
    27C75882-6060-40C2-A696-E6FF2F59B2E4.jpeg
    200.1 KB · Views: 123

HydroRebel

Reaction score

Thanks!
The way I understand this is you will only get the black cargo rails if your truck came with the factory Tonneau cover and those aren't compatible with Bak Tonneau covers (and probably more). If you have the bed utility group without the stock Tonneau cover you should have silver rails which is what you need for the MX4.

Anchor Down

Reaction score
MX4 hands down. You will need a rubber hammer if doing yourself. It's a tight fit but man it's awesome.

TheGoogleNinja

Reaction score
Another happy Lomax owner here. Looks good, works good. Comes off easy (a little heavier than I thought it would be) and keeps the bed mostly dry and free from dust. The bakflip does fold up and out of the way but for my typical use it hasn't been a problem. Yet.

Maxx

Reaction score
Here’s my Retrax MX Pro for the Short bed Rambox.
1ca0660d35af8771e8f5dfa8cb91eb8a.jpg

6bb0b894c399302f1854116487173720.jpg
I see you put foam in tailgate ends, do u have any leaks & what you did do to fix them.
Thx.

LMT5G

Reaction score
I see you put foam in tailgate ends, do u have any leaks & what you did do to fix them.
Thx.

The foam tailgate ends help but do not get rid of water ingress. Under heavy rain I still have water coming in from the tailgate itself. I’ve yet to find anyone with a Retrax that has completely sealed the tailgate. I think the general consensus with most of these covers from Retrax, Lomax, Bakflip etc. is that they all leak to a certain extent. Additionally, one of my drain tubes seems to be letting some water through the gasket which of course adds to water in the bed.

be4e17fe9a565c1e56e0f3c5b3c4b2f1.jpg

Gitter

Reaction score
I just got the Backflip Revolver X4. I like that's it's a hard cover, but it's a roll-up style so I get basically full access to the bed. I also like that it doesn't have a lock. I don't want an extra key to deal with (which my wife would forget use anyways).

I had the Revolver X2 on a previous truck and I loved it, so I got the X4 this time around and am very satisfied after installing it. Took me about 40 minutes to install.

LMT5G

Reaction score
I just got the Backflip Revolver X4. I like that's it's a hard cover, but it's a roll-up style so I get basically full access to the bed. I also like that it doesn't have a lock. I don't want an extra key to deal with (which my wife would forget use anyways).

I had the Revolver X2 on a previous truck and I loved it, so I got the X4 this time around and am very satisfied after installing it. Took me about 40 minutes to install.

Sweet, how’s the water retention? Do you have a lot of ingress of water inside the bed?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Francisco69

Reaction score
So I highly recommend the MX4. I had one on my 2017 RAM and it did very well. I just ordered another one for my new 2020 RAM. I got what seems to be a great deal. $799 including shipping. TonneauCovered.com. So here is what I did, went to several sites and put a few different options into the cart. Went through the process of adding shipping and billing address, and email information and right before paying and adding credit card information, I left the site.
This company reached out and reminded me of the cart and offered a discount. I ignored that and a few days later,
to my surprise was sent an email to “Make an Offer”. So I requested $799 including shipping. Done.
I just hope that it’s not a scam....

98442bd37ef8dd14b3eca5f9aec0b0fa.jpg

Last edited:

RangerZ

Reaction score
Backflip mx4 here also. Ram boxes also limited me. I like the cover a lot and it stays dry. No significant water intrusion

Gitter

Reaction score
Sweet, how’s the water retention? Do you have a lot of ingress of water inside the bed?

Overalls, I barely have any now (just a tiny trickle down the edge of the tailgate). Its far less than on my old Tacoma even after using silicone! Lol

It leaks a lot less than a Retrax I helped install on a 4th gen last year. It may have helped that I've installed a few tonneaus and knew where to expect leaks and to put the foam while installing it..but that Retrax seemed to leak way too much.

LMT5G

Reaction score
Overalls, I barely have any now (just a tiny trickle down the edge of the tailgate). Its far less than on my old Tacoma even after using silicone! Lol

It leaks a lot less than a Retrax I helped install on a 4th gen last year. It may have helped that I've installed a few tonneaus and knew where to expect leaks and to put the foam while installing it..but that Retrax seemed to leak way too much.

Good to know. Oddly enough I locked myself inside the tailgate and can’t see any light coming in from the outside yet I’m still getting water coming in. I suspect it’s coming in from the tailgate and from the drain tubes. I confirmed at least one drain tube doesn’t have a good seal. I’m going to let it dry up and try applying some silicone around the drain tube gasket to see if that helps in mitigating some of the water coming in, at least from the canister side.

Kroger

Reaction score
Good to know. Oddly enough I locked myself inside the tailgate and can’t see any light coming in from the outside yet I’m still getting water coming in. I suspect it’s coming in from the tailgate and from the drain tubes. I confirmed at least one drain tube doesn’t have a good seal. I’m going to let it dry up and try applying some silicone around the drain tube gasket to see if that helps in mitigating some of the water coming in, at least from the canister side.
Did you also have a Revolver x4? I just ordered this one as have had friends with good luck with the cover on other trucks with minimal water intrusion. It Should be in this week and i'll be putting it on next week. Any areas as well to look out for after diagnosing your above issue?

Thanks!

Wedgeajt

Reaction score
I have the Revolver X4. I like it pretty well, but have trouble opening the tailgate. I think the fit is pretty snug so I have to push in on the tailgate to so it will release and open. Anyone else have this issue with any of the other tops?

Users who are viewing this thread