5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Best Battery Money Can Buy

Mitchrob85

Reaction score
Optima used to be good 30+ years ago. Current day Optimas are no better than any other AGM battery you can buy. I have two dead ones sitting in my garage that didn't even last three years, and wasn't worth the effort trying to get warranty replacement for them. Have a regular deep cycle starting battery that has been in use for about 8 years with no issues, that replaced the last blue top that died in me
You're probably right and I'm sure there are some other high quality, lower prices AGM batteries out there compared to optima. Stick with an AGM and you more than likely can't go wrong.

Jako

Spends too much time on here
Reaction score
You're probably right and I'm sure there are some other high quality, lower prices AGM batteries out there compared to optima. Stick with an AGM and you more than likely can't go wrong.
AGM - One reason to purchase:

Internal discharge​

Batteries are subject to an internal discharge, also called self-discharge. This rate is determined by the battery type, and the metallurgy of the lead used in its construction. Wet cells, with the cavities inside for electrolyte, use a lead-antimony alloy to increase mechanical strength. The antimony also increases the internal discharge rate to between 8% and 40% per month. For this reason, wet cells should not be left unmaintained or uncharged for long periods. The lead used in Gel and AGM battery construction does not require high mechanical strength since it is stabilized by the gel or mat material. Usually calcium is alloyed with the lead to reduce gassing and the internal discharge rate, which is only 2% to 10% per month for the AGM and Gel batteries.

Any battery discharge, including internal discharge, produces sulphation on the battery plates as part of the chemical cycle, and given enough time, this sulphation hardens, causing diminished battery capacity at best, or total loss of function. Routine charging after use, or use of a "floating" charger for long periods of storage (boat batteries, ATVs, etc.) reduces this diminished capacity and maximizes battery life. A large portion (approaching 50%) of lead acid batteries have diminished capacity or become unusable due to sulphation, and never reach their rated lifespan.

gHiDoRa

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Duracells are made by Deka, AKA East Penn. The smallest of the big three battery makers, if memory serves me, and they make most (if not all) of their batteries in the USA. Good choice. One of the longest warranties typically. I've heard rumblings of poor quality control this past year or so, but since yours predates that, you're in the clear.

Many of O'Reilly's AGM batteries are also made by Deka/East Penn, if anyone cares. Just shorter 3 year warranty vs the Duracell's 4 year. Same battery, different labels/warranties.

I also use a good quality maintainer on our Challenger Scat Pack in the winter (when we don't drive it). Kept the factory battery very strong, no issues, 4 years old this year.

Good to know, I got it because a friend of mine worked at Battery Plus so I got it for a discount price, I think around $180, and also because it comes with a 4-year free replacement.

Jako

Spends too much time on here
Reaction score
Good to know, I got it because a friend of mine worked at Battery Plus so I got it for a discount price, I think around $180, and also because it comes with a 4-year free replacement.
4 year free replacement sounds like the best warranty. Deka AGM is 30 months.

UnloosedChewtoy

5thGenRams Supporter
Site Supporter
Reaction score
According to link dated April 2023 manufactured by Johnson Controls.

"Although Duracell is owned by Procter & Gamble, the batteries themselves are actually produced by Johnson Controls, a large multinational corporation based in Milwaukee, Wisconsin."

I know I'm dragging this thread back from the dead a little, but just saw this response.

Besides reading from multiple sources a while back about where Duracell units were made, the CCA numbers lined up more with Deka batteries than Johnson Controls (now called Clarios after they sold off their battery division to an investment group) or Exide.

Generally, all you have to do in a single battery size (e.g. H7) is identify where one battery is made. Every one of the big three manufacturer's batteries usually have slightly different amps/CCA in any single size. While Deka may have 800 CCA in a particular size AGM battery, Johnson Controls may be 850, and Exide may be 900. (Random numbers I came up with just for sake of argument.)

Once you identify one, you can immediately tell across the board (for that size) who makes the battery. So using the example above, if O'Reilly's AGM battery in that same size is 800 CCA, its probably made by Deka. If Autozone's battery in that same size is 850 CCA, its probably made by Johnson Controls. So on and so forth.

Obviously thats not a guaranteed thing, but a "general rule of thumb" so to speak. However, even when you have IDed the maker, with today's prevalent outsourcing and everything else, its a little like oil filters. Sure, the 2022 batches of brand XYZ were great, but then they switched factories or sources, and the 2023 batches of that same XYZ brand may be mediocre or worse. This is evident by a few members posting earlier in this thread about supposed Deka batteries from Turkey.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread