5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Best Battery Money Can Buy

boogielander

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I've had good experience with LiFePO4 from MegaLife on my previous rig. Comes with a built in battery management system and a self-jump function.
Paired with a 100w solar panel I can run the 12v fridge 24/7 without evening draining on sunny days. When it's overcast or raining the battery will run the fridge for 2 more days before going dead.

hogger

Reaction score
What do you think is the best battery money can buy for our 5th gens and why?

I have heard great things about these Full throttle Batteries: FT850-94R Battery from Fullriver Battery
I'm not impressed with the FT I put in my car a few years back. Never seemed to really have that zip on start up, and it did not hold up well to any cycling. If you're really curious, tag me and I'll look at the exact version I put in. I think there's some other battery threads around here somewhere, but I don't remember seeing satisfactory answers in those either.

hogger

Reaction score
I've had good experience with LiFePO4 from MegaLife on my previous rig. Comes with a built in battery management system and a self-jump function.
Paired with a 100w solar panel I can run the 12v fridge 24/7 without evening draining on sunny days. When it's overcast or raining the battery will run the fridge for 2 more days before going dead.
I've been tinkering around with various LiFePO4's, but not as a primary vehicle battery. Gets wayy to hot for them under the hood. And in the passenger compartment where all the hybrids seem to like to put their Li batteries.

HSKR R/T

locally hated
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Everyone is going to have an opinion. Depending on how you use the truck, the answer can/will be different as well.

John Galt

Reaction score
….for those with more money than brains, yeah.

BTB123

Reaction score
I played the battery game in my Tundra. Last was a Northstar AGM. Good battery.
When it’s time, I’ll probably drop an Interstate sealed lead acid in the Ram and change it every few years.

John Galt

Reaction score
I played the battery game in my Tundra. Last was a Northstar AGM. Good battery.
When it’s time, I’ll probably drop an Interstate sealed lead acid in the Ram and change it every few years.
For the price of one of those high tech batteries you can get a fresh battery with more CCA and better charge/discharge rate for service in a vehicle every other year for 6 years.

Will that super expensive battery last 6 years and be just as good in years 5-6 as a brand new lead acid battery?

BTB123

Reaction score
For the price of one of those high tech batteries you can get a fresh battery with more CCA and better charge/discharge rate for service in a vehicle every other year for 6 years.

Will that super expensive battery last 6 years and be just as good in years 5-6 as a brand new lead acid battery?
I agree and that’s the direction I plan on going. I’ll probably just pop them out every three years and stay on top of it.

river rat

Reaction score
First, realize there are only a few companies that make all the batteries. Second, go with one that includes a good warranty, something like a 3yr replacement.

HSKR R/T

locally hated
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Best battery IMO is optima.
Optima used to be good 30+ years ago. Current day Optimas are no better than any other AGM battery you can buy. I have two dead ones sitting in my garage that didn't even last three years, and wasn't worth the effort trying to get warranty replacement for them. Have a regular deep cycle starting battery that has been in use for about 8 years with no issues, that replaced the last blue top that died in me

Av1

Reaction score
There are several high-quality batteries you can buy. You'll get a ton of opinions on it, both informed and uninformed alike. It may take some research on your part.

One thing I would recommend, no matter which battery you use, is to get a quality battery maintainer.
If you drive often, it may not be necessary. But they are fantastic for vehicles that aren't daily drivers.

I use maintainers on my vehicles that sit for days on end (or longer). It only takes a moment to plug in.

I don't have battery issues.

UnloosedChewtoy

5thGenRams Supporter
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Duracell H8 AGM Battery, 2 years so far so good, never drop below 12.7V
Duracells are made by Deka, AKA East Penn. The smallest of the big three battery makers, if memory serves me, and they make most (if not all) of their batteries in the USA. Good choice. One of the longest warranties typically. I've heard rumblings of poor quality control this past year or so, but since yours predates that, you're in the clear.

Many of O'Reilly's AGM batteries are also made by Deka/East Penn, if anyone cares. Just shorter 3 year warranty vs the Duracell's 4 year. Same battery, different labels/warranties.

I also use a good quality maintainer on our Challenger Scat Pack in the winter (when we don't drive it). Kept the factory battery very strong, no issues, 4 years old this year.

Jako

Spends too much time on here
Reaction score
Duracells are made by Deka, AKA East Penn. The smallest of the big three battery makers, if memory serves me, and they make most (if not all) of their batteries in the USA. Good choice. One of the longest warranties typically. I've heard rumblings of poor quality control this past year or so, but since yours predates that, you're in the clear.

Many of O'Reilly's AGM batteries are also made by Deka/East Penn, if anyone cares. Just shorter 3 year warranty vs the Duracell's 4 year. Same battery, different labels/warranties.

I also use a good quality maintainer on our Challenger Scat Pack in the winter (when we don't drive it). Kept the factory battery very strong, no issues, 4 years old this year.
"Good afternoon, We continue to make most of their batteries in the US which includes here in Pennsylvania and our 2 new facilities in Oelwein IA and Temple TX. However, given the supply chain issues and labor shortages over the last 2 years, a couple of the part numbers were being product by other partnering companies outside the US to help meet the forecasted demand from some of our retailers. This is only designed to be temporary, however we do not know how long the material and labor shortages will continue before returning to normal levels. We are starting to see levels returning to a more normal state recently and have already made changes in production in the US. The batteries that are being produced outside the US were being made to our standards and still carry our warranty."

Response from Deka after buying a H7 battery for my 2019 Ram and finding "Made in Turkey", 2 yr full replacement lead acid and 30 months for AGM. My local mechanic carries Deka and said the warranty is no problem he had issues with AC Delco batteries.

Brutal_HO

The Mad Irishman
Staff member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Last set of Deka batteries I had in my 04 Cummins were crap. Supposed to be a better model I got form a supplier through an ambulance mechanic friend.

The OE batteries lasted 13 years. They sure don't make em like they used to.

Jako

Reaction score
Last set of Deka batteries I had in my 04 Cummins were crap. Supposed to be a better model I got form a supplier through an ambulance mechanic friend.

The OE batteries lasted 13 years. They sure don't make em like they used to.
Were they made in Turkey! LOL
I was probably equally disappointed and pi$$ed off. I could have purchased an AGM in Walmart for less. Trying to do the "Buy Made in America" and "local small business".

Jako

Reaction score

According to link dated April 2023 manufactured by Johnson Controls.

"Although Duracell is owned by Procter & Gamble, the batteries themselves are actually produced by Johnson Controls, a large multinational corporation based in Milwaukee, Wisconsin."

Users who are viewing this thread