5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

best all terrain tires for stock 2020 ram?

country4life

Reaction score
currently have 275/55/20 and looking to put on some all terrains for the winter
is it worth going to a 275/60/20

XmikeX

Reaction score
I wanted to fill the gap a little bit more and give a little extra height so I went with 275/60/20 and they are pretty comparable in price to the 275/55. It depends on what you want to get out of going with the slightly bigger tire.

Sugar

Reaction score
I ran 275/60r20 on my ram before adding my 3.5 lift and 35s. The 35s I got are Toyo OC AT3 and so far am loving them. I don’t even use 4wd auto in the rain now! Less noise and bump feel from switch to LT than I expected also.

Choate

Reaction score
My pick was falken wildpeaks AT3w. Haven’t driven in rain yet but they’re supposed to be great. Feels great on the highway too. I went with just a standard load tire. They look good too

country4life

Reaction score
what tires are smooth and quiet I’ve had duratracs on my last truck and they’re noisy

Andymax

5thGenRams Supporter
Site Supporter
Reaction score
I've been researching this subject too. My primary concerns are road noise, tire weight (mpg) and treadwear because I drive mostly highway miles. I've boiled it down to the following, mostly based on higher-mileage user reviews and stated warranty:
- Firestone Destination A/T2
- Continental TerrainContact AT

Cooper, Toyo, General and others have tempting choices, but are either a bit pricier or heavier, or noisier.

Truth is I'll still be tempted by the Michelin Defender LTX....I had very good luck with that tire and it did surprisingly well off-road too. There are others in this same class that I'd consider, like the Continental TerrainContact HT.

I'm the type that has to research the hell outta this because, at over a thousand bucks, and the fact that the tires will last just over a year for me...this is a significant decision.

GAscooter

Reaction score
I have the Continentals, and they are great. They are quiet, ride smooth, and are outstanding in the rain. I have 15k miles on them now, and they still look new. I’ve had BFG’s, Cooper’s, and Wild Country AT’s in the past and would not go back to them if I were looking for mileage, smooth, quiet, and good in rain. I’m in Georgia, so we almost never see snow, but if I lived in a different part of the country, I might have to invest in a second set of snow tires.

Andymax

5thGenRams Supporter
Site Supporter
Reaction score
I have the Continentals, and they are great. They are quiet, ride smooth, and are outstanding in the rain. I have 15k miles on them now, and they still look new. I’ve had BFG’s, Cooper’s, and Wild Country AT’s in the past and would not go back to them if I were looking for mileage, smooth, quiet, and good in rain. I’m in Georgia, so we almost never see snow, but if I lived in a different part of the country, I might have to invest in a second set of snow tires.
This is good to hear. And just to be clear you are talking about the Continental All-Terrains, not the HT's, correct?

Iluvbitsie

Reaction score
I ran 275/60r20 on my ram before adding my 3.5 lift and 35s. The 35s I got are Toyo OC AT3 and so far am loving them. I don’t even use 4wd auto in the rain now! Less noise and bump feel from switch to LT than I expected also.
Hi! with the lift and 35s did u loose mpg horribly? i tow...

Hydroblueguy

Ram Guru
Reaction score
My pick was falken wildpeaks AT3w. Haven’t driven in rain yet but they’re supposed to be great. Feels great on the highway too. I went with just a standard load tire. They look good too
If I was to put a more off road tires on , this was my pick!

Sugar

Reaction score
Hi! with the lift and 35s did u loose mpg horribly? i tow...
I’m probably not a good reference as my avg mpg is only around 13 already. It seems to have stayed relatively the same, maybe a 1 mpg drop.

Johnny_H

Reaction score
This is good to hear. And just to be clear you are talking about the Continental All-Terrains, not the HT's, correct?

Check out this post. OP originally got the HTs by mistake and then switched to the Conti ATs. He helped me go with the Continentals as well given his experience, and basically said in dry/wet/snow the ATs had similar comfort and performance. I have the HTs and am super happy - they are a great highway tire both around town and towing my 5000lb boat, and I’ve spent a lot of time on gravel, snow and some mild off roading and have been super happy with them. The tire rack reviews are what swayed me to go with the HTs as they seem to be a bit better in the snow than the ATs - and then I got a $500 discount versus the ATs which sealed the deal. Both seem like great tires for you to consider.

285/45/R22 Continental Terrain Contact AT - Stock 22'' Replacement

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Andymax

5thGenRams Supporter
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Check out this post. OP originally got the HTs by mistake and then switched to the Conti ATs. He helped me go with the Continentals as well given his experience, and basically said in dry/wet/snow the ATs had similar comfort and performance. I have the HTs and am super happy - they are a great highway tire both around town and towing my 5000lb boat, and I’ve spent a lot of time on gravel, snow and some mild off roading and have been super happy with them. The tire rack reviews are what swayed me to go with the HTs as they seem to be a bit better in the snow than the ATs - and then I got a $500 discount versus the ATs which sealed the deal. Both seem like great tires for you to consider.

285/45/R22 Continental Terrain Contact AT - Stock 22'' Replacement

This is exactly why the HT's are still very high on my list. Not sure which way I'll go yet.

Johnny_H

Reaction score
This is exactly why the HT's are still very high on my list. Not sure which way I'll go yet.

I’d say lots of mud/rock/gravel get the AT. Lots of highway/snow get the HT. Prob be happy either way!

ktl5005

Reaction score
Cooper AT3 4S. XL load rating. Severe weather 3 peak rated. 65,000 treadwear warranty and currently have a rebate. Mine are getting put on tomorrow

Already run them on the wife's 2018 Durango RT and last winter in NEPA with the storms (we got A LOT of snow) they were solid. Also quiet on the highway, solid in the rain and puddles

LouNY

Reaction score
Why all the fanfare for these overly wide tires for highway travel,
especially in the winter with snow or even worse slush to contend with.
I've always gone with the narrower taller tire choice for every thing except sand driving.
The OP has 275/55R20's that is about 31.9 inches tall,
the same width in 60 series is about 33 inches tall.
A narrower tire such as the 245/60R20 is still around 31.6 inches tall and will be less effected by pulling from slush piles
and standing water on the road when comparing to the same tread patterns.

Reactions: JBV

Sugar

Reaction score
I’d say lots of mud/rock/gravel get the AT. Lots of highway/snow get the HT. Prob be happy either way!

Why would you choose HT over AT for snow? Just curious as maybe I’m unaware of some things about HTs

Johnny_H

Reaction score
Why would you choose HT over AT for snow? Just curious as maybe I’m unaware of some things about HTs

AT tires are often worse on ice and snow for a few reasons. Harder rubber to begin with but also the tread pattern, poor water and snow kick-off properties. The tread pattern on the Conti HT very closely mimics several snow tires with a lot of extra smaller grooves to increase surface area and better snow grip. ATs have bigger knobby patterns that slide over snow and ice (and more prone to hydroplaning in water). The only time I’ve found ATs have an advantage in winter is slow crawling over big ice mounds driving on frozen lakes and off-road on frozen fields when hunting….off road scenarios I guess. My HTs are 95% as good and I spend 1% of my time off road.

Users who are viewing this thread