5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Best all terrain tire for every day driving.

jmrhodes212

Reaction score
The light weight (for an E range tire) is what got me to buy them once.

The performance is what will get me to re-buy them.
What was wet performance like? I haven't had any monsoons yet to test.

Lungs414

Reaction score
What size
Toyo did you get?
I tried those and returned them within the return window. Noticably stiffer and harder ride than stock. went with Nitto Terra grapplers. Better more comfortable ride than Toyo but they absolutely suck when wet.

HTXRam

Reaction score
Loved the Cooper Discoverer AT3 XLT's I had. They were quiet and rode great. (would have purchased again if they made them in 22)

I have Nitto Recon Grapplers now and I would not recommend them due to noise and ride quality.

CalvinC

Ram Guru
Reaction score
What was wet performance like? I haven't had any monsoons yet to test.
I am in Colorado, so never seen a monsoon here!
But even light rain my prior 3pmsf (not Rebel) Duratracs would be super slimey and squirrelly, though they did surprisingly well against hydroplaning.
Geolanders and KO2s were much less squirrely, though the KO2s were scary for hydroplaning.

The closest to Monsoons we get is big snow storms in warm weather, or after a snow storm and things melt. Tons of standing water and slush.

In all wet conditions the Revos just grip like velcro. Much more confident in the non-dry. And the hydroplaning / slush evacuation is phenomenal, which I guess isn't really surprising when you look at the tread pattern.

NCLife

Reaction score
Something I noticed with the ridge grapplers was I had to put about 500 miles or more in them before they didn’t spin in rain. I almost sold them after a week because of a light rain and I was spinning terribly. After a couple weeks they did very well in the next rain. I have about 25k miles on this set and can say rain is their week spot and there is a hum now on the highway. They do excellent in snow in my opinion.
I had Ridge Grapplers on my Jeep and I have them on my Ram. They are a loud tire. KO2's are a polarizing tire for some reason but I've had great luck with them in my Jeeps. When I replace the Nittos I'll likely get the Falken Wildpeak AT3W's.

SalMeatballs

Reaction score
I've been a big fan of BFG All Terrains for years. They aren't perfect, but they do many things pretty well. The wet weather traction has been great for me with the BFG's.

I have Ridge Grapplers on my 1500. The Ridge Grapplers look great in my opinion and ride nicely. The dry weather handling is great, but I haven't driven them in any wet conditions to know how they will do.

I will say that the Ridge Grapplers seem to have a bit of noise at highway speeds for sure. I guess that is to be expected with the more aggressive tread.
It's nothing terrible, but I wish they were just a little quieter.

I've repeatedly used the BFG T/A KO2 on my F250 SD & before that my mild offroad daily driver K5. They are not the best out there but for the price & overall functionality I love them. Being in NJ we rarely get massive amounts of snow (but they did well in the blizzards we did have over the last decade) & my farm is 15 miles from the nearest legit city (and 30 miles from Philly). They perform better in rain than the Pirellis that were OEM on my Lincoln & handle the mud when the horse paddocks are swamped out.

TBH, I wouldn't be surprised if they eventually end up on my 2500

erikbmack

Reaction score
been a nitto guy for a long time. i put toyo at3s on last week. happy with them so far...

View attachment 148969
Beautiful rig! Just bought a BDS 3inch level lift with Fox coilovers... how much rubbing are you getting with your current setup? What's your offset? Trying to decide on tire side and brand. 33x 12.5's with -12 offset is what I'm hearing but I'm not opposed to 35's.

Redz72

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I just recently put Yokohama Geolander G015’s on my truck. 285/65r20. Love them. They are quiet and very responsive with the hemi and 3.92’s. They are awesome in the rain as well, which a concern of mine with AT’s. Haven’t had them in the snow yet, but I anticipate them being good as well considering they are 3peak rated. 50k warranty and got them installed and aligned for $1400. I would highly recommend them for daily driving with occasional off road use. IMG_9540.jpeg IMG_9539.jpeg IMG_9655.jpeg

themust

Reaction score
Having just gone through exploring every possible nuance of every possible tire/wheel scenario, the trade offs for me (cuz that’s all they are) led to the new cooper road and trails. Replaced yokahama 12.5x35 with 285/45/22s. The ride, grip, quiet, supple ride is a huge game changer from the firmer, heavier bigger tires that had me feeling like I was always driving with mud caked all over. And the mileage sucked worse than usual. But they are smaller so with the level they don’t look as aggressive but are darn close. Only geeks like us would notice. Oh, and much cheaper. These are the tires that replaced the AT3s. IMG_7129.jpeg

Idahoktm

Spends too much time on here
Reaction score
Having just gone through exploring every possible nuance of every possible tire/wheel scenario, the trade offs for me (cuz that’s all they are) led to the new cooper road and trails. Replaced yokahama 12.5x35 with 285/45/22s. The ride, grip, quiet, supple ride is a huge game changer from the firmer, heavier bigger tires that had me feeling like I was always driving with mud caked all over. And the mileage sucked worse than usual. But they are smaller so with the level they don’t look as aggressive but are darn close. Only geeks like us would notice. Oh, and much cheaper. These are the tires that replaced the AT3s. View attachment 172266
No, any knucklehead can tell the difference in a second between a 32" tire and a 35". 🙄

themust

Reaction score
No, any knucklehead can tell the difference in a second between a 32" tire and a 35". 🙄
I would agree that it is far more likely up where you are in North Idaho (which is an awesome part of the country) that the average knucklehead would see the difference. However, here in Northern California they can't distinguish a Prius from a Tesla, so your average California knucklehead wouldn't be able to tell. I can for sure and, frankly, I don't like it. But that was the tradeoff that I finally accepted for the factors that far outweighed that one, for me.

Ronnie7901

Reaction score
Having just gone through exploring every possible nuance of every possible tire/wheel scenario, the trade offs for me (cuz that’s all they are) led to the new cooper road and trails. Replaced yokahama 12.5x35 with 285/45/22s. The ride, grip, quiet, supple ride is a huge game changer from the firmer, heavier bigger tires that had me feeling like I was always driving with mud caked all over. And the mileage sucked worse than usual. But they are smaller so with the level they don’t look as aggressive but are darn close. Only geeks like us would notice. Oh, and much cheaper. These are the tires that replaced the AT3s. View attachment 172266
I was debating between the new road/trail and the AT3 4s - - tirerack has the AT3 4s on final clearance so went with those - great tire so far (2 weeks on, 1 snowstorm - upstate NY)

H2OMAN

Ram Guru
Reaction score
A quick word about the Ridge Grapplers. They are not AT's. They are very close to MT's. While some guys do pretty good in the snow they are notorious for being slick in the rain. Adding 400 hp to them isn't great in the rain. They are however, one of the best off road tires there is and they are one of the majority tires for off roaders here in the southwest. But don't compare them to AT's. You'll most likely be disappointed.

themust

Reaction score
I was debating between the new road/trail and the AT3 4s - - tirerack has the AT3 4s on final clearance so went with those - great tire so far (2 weeks on, 1 snowstorm - upstate NY)
Yeah. I think I almost bought that set on TireRack..... I was going to get those but my tire guy couldn't get 'em since they were on closeout everywhere, so I went with the newer version which are the Road and Trails. No regrets, other than they just don't look as good for the Zombie Apocolypse

Rightside

Reaction score
I just recently put Yokohama Geolander G015’s on my truck. 285/65r20. Love them. They are quiet and very responsive with the hemi and 3.92’s. They are awesome in the rain as well, which a concern of mine with AT’s. Haven’t had them in the snow yet, but I anticipate them being good as well considering they are 3peak rated. 50k warranty and got them installed and aligned for $1400. I would highly recommend them for daily driving with occasional off road use. View attachment 172261 View attachment 172262 View attachment 172263
Did these hurt mileage much? LT tire?

Users who are viewing this thread