5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Best all terrain tire for every day driving.

FishOn

Reaction score
Just got the Nitto Terra Grappler G2s, and they might be the quietest AT I've ever been on. LOTS of rain in the PNW and so far they stick GREAT. We've got the Toyo Open Country II on the wife's Duramax 2500 and they slip a lot more than the Nittos in the rain.

PowerJrod

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Just got the Nitto Terra Grappler G2s, and they might be the quietest AT I've ever been on. LOTS of rain in the PNW and so far they stick GREAT. We've got the Toyo Open Country II on the wife's Duramax 2500 and they slip a lot more than the Nittos in the rain.
I'm to lazy to look this up, but... What's the difference between the Terra Grapplers and the Ridge grapplers..?

REBELmtnbiker

Reaction score
I'm to lazy to look this up, but... What's the difference between the Terra Grapplers and the Ridge grapplers..?
The Ridge have a more aggressive tread design..the Terra have a more street friendly design for more hwy vs off-road

Willwork4truck

Spends too much time on here
Reaction score
Holy crap, when I looked these up...from discount tire

NITTO​

TERRA GRAPPLER G2​

285 /45 R22 114H XL BSW
65,000 mile warranty
Item# 29652

$328.00/ea

Truckguy

Reaction score
Went with the ridge grappler 275/60/20 xl. Already not impressed with wet performance. We shall see how they do in the small amount of snow we get.

NTX_Ian

Reaction score
Went with the ridge grappler 275/60/20 xl. Already not impressed with wet performance. We shall see how they do in the small amount of snow we get.

Big chunky treads with very little siping is a recipe for poor wet and snow performance, unfortunately. Mind posting a pic for sizing reference?

puba08

Reaction score

It’s not an AT tire. It’s an XT/RT.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Chuck19

Reaction score

Big chunky treads with very little siping is a recipe for poor wet and snow performance, unfortunately. Mind posting a pic for sizing reference?
I have heard a couple of other guys say this and I just don’t understand it. I am going on my 5th set of Ridge Grapplers on several different vehicles and have never had any negative experience with them in wet driving conditions. Down here in southwest Florida the summer rains can get pretty intense. I am also in sales so I am on the road a lot always driving in wet conditions and have nothing but positive experiences. Now I drive I would say on the less aggressive side but I don’t soare the gas pedal when needed. Hate that you are having this experience.

Pyleketerson

Reaction score
I’d say most these guys are in the overly aggressive A/T tire camp. Myself included. Cooper makes some really good tires for what you’re looking for. They always put out quality tires that aren’t super aggressive on the A/T front.

Truckguy

Reaction score

You are right they fall into the hybrid territory but I would be willing to bet most people that look at an A/T also look at the ridge grappler. They are rude smooth and are not very loud. Mild hum at low speed but barley noticeable over 30mph.

Truckguy

Reaction score
I have heard a couple of other guys say this and I just don’t understand it. I am going on my 5th set of Ridge Grapplers on several different vehicles and have never had any negative experience with them in wet driving conditions. Down here in southwest Florida the summer rains can get pretty intense. I am also in sales so I am on the road a lot always driving in wet conditions and have nothing but positive experiences. Now I drive I would say on the less aggressive side but I don’t soare the gas pedal when needed. Hate that you are having this experience.
I had someone tell me I need to put a couple hundred miles on before I give them a full review in wet conditions. Something about the mold release still being on the tires could make them slick at first. I don’t drive aggressively so I will see how they do in a week or so

Truckguy

Reaction score
This is with ORP front springs and Bilstein 5100 at setting 5. Icon 1.5 inch lift springs in rear with 5100 rear shocks.

Attachments

• 43DDEA9D-F8B2-40C8-A6BC-20F61631985F.jpeg
    43DDEA9D-F8B2-40C8-A6BC-20F61631985F.jpeg
    146.3 KB · Views: 293
Last edited:

BigHatch72

Reaction score
Continental has an A/T tire for trucks that is geared towards the highway driver that wants a little extra grip when you get off the pavement
Do you have any experience with these? I've been looking at them. How do they look?

deeve

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I've run several different brands on my Jeeps and Ranger (this is my first Ram) but the use between the trucks and Jeep are the same for me. I also live in the PNW so lots of rain. For all around performance in all weather, road or dirt the Wildpeaks I have had outperformed the others. The only drawback and reason why I haven't upgraded to a larger size on the Ram is they are so damn heavy in larger 18" wheel (34"-35") sizes. I wish they made something a bit lighter but larger as I don't plan on towing heavy.

Handycraftman

Reaction score
I'm driving a maxxis razr at lt 285/50/20- an excellent tire. Quiet on the asphalt and productive on the mud.

Attachments

• A8787F6B-D66C-4385-95F4-D90C15011302.jpeg
    A8787F6B-D66C-4385-95F4-D90C15011302.jpeg
    153.6 KB · Views: 146
  • FDAB0CB5-8132-4F4B-A396-DDA6A625F3FF.jpeg
    FDAB0CB5-8132-4F4B-A396-DDA6A625F3FF.jpeg
    184.6 KB · Views: 147

JBV

Reaction score
lots of factors and parameters in tire performance and all of us want AT tires to excel at everything, i sure do. we are spoiled for selection and tire tech is better than ever. seems in the AT category there are tires that tilt towards better off road performance and durability (Toyo Open Country AT3) and ones that tilt towards on road performance, comfort, control, and some in rain, or snow. it's a lot to ask. all are decent, but it's relative to the competition of course. personally, i read these forums, but do a lot of research looking at tire testing sites and retailers like Tire Rack, Kal Tire (Cda), Tyre Reviews (UK) and some Aussie ones. i want to see objective, instrumented testing results, as well as professional drivers on test tracks impressions. then i look at what i want specifically, and what is available locally. i know not everyone agrees with tire test results but hey, we can't all ride back to back models of tires on our trucks, in local conditions, so i see no other way to judge.

anyhow, i landed on a set of Sumitomo Encounter AT's (both by local recommendation, and by test results) and at about 20k miles they have been excellent. they are of the mild AT version, and they tested out being top tier in rain (stopping, lateral grip), decent off road (i'm not mudding or doing anything extreme when i'm off road), good in the snow, quiet and mid pack in on road feel and control (the most subjective category). they are good in snow with the 3PMS and an all around great tire so far. Sumitomo is the parent company of Falken, and i've read similar results to the Wildpeak line, with a slightly more off road tilt with a bit more rumble, but that tire is usually near the top of most tests as well. the closest to the Encounter in both looks and test results is the Goodyear AT Adventure.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread