5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Best all terrain tire for every day driving.

Wilrob

Reaction score
I have a 19 ram 1500 4x4 and it came with touring tires but I want to switch to AT tires. I dont do any off roading but I live in the country and I may be in a situation to need a little extra grip. My question is does anyone have experience with a quiet comfortable not overly aggressive AT tire that I should look into? Any advice would be appreciated.

Chopperbobby

Reaction score
Duratrac had them on a Jeep loved them. Don’t know about on a truck.

coolhandluchs

Reaction score
All-terrain covers a lot of ground. If you're mostly on-highway, why not a lighter duty AT tire like the General Grabber APT or Michelin AT, or the various Goodyear Wranglers? Those will still give you good grip in most conditions and be quieter and last longer than any of the more "offroad" offerings.

NTX_Ian

Reaction score
Continental has an A/T tire for trucks that is geared towards the highway driver that wants a little extra grip when you get off the pavement

PowerJrod

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Continental.
Ridge grapplers.
Falken Wildpeaks....though they might be more aggressive than what you want even though they ride very smoothly.
Nexen.
Cooper.
I wouldn't bother with the KO2's.

19ORG

Reaction score
I had Continental TerrainContact A/Ts on my ‘04 Ram that I really liked for everyday driving. As some others had said, they aren’t a overly aggressive tire but really good in city, highway and wet driving in my opinion.

realralfy

Reaction score
Bridgestone Dueler Revo 3....especially in LT sizes. Lighter and ride better than anything else I’ve had...

PowerJrod

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I have a 19 ram 1500 4x4 and it came with touring tires but I want to switch to AT tires. I dont do any off roading but I live in the country and I may be in a situation to need a little extra grip. My question is does anyone have experience with a quiet comfortable not overly aggressive AT tire that I should look into? Any advice would be appreciated.
Have you looked into any of the Nexen Roadian tires? Had those on my 2wd F-150. Very smooth and quiet with a little extra grip. Last I checked...they were slightly cheaper than Continental ones...

doolin64

Reaction score
I've run:

Falken Wildpeak At3's
BFG KO's and KO2's
Nitto Terra Grappler
Continental Terrain Contact A/T's
Toyo R/T's (not an A/T but close)

My overall pick is BFG's. They perform well in most conditions. I even plowed a winter in them. They are not the quietest, but they are not loud and in my opinion are the "standard bearer" of good looking semi aggressive tire. The Toyo R/T's made a weird resonance on the highway. Looked great, but it ended there for me. Duratrac's were ok a little on the loud side. It's been over 10 years since I ran those. The Nittos and more so the Continental's were barely an A/T. They were good quiet tires and road very smooth, but not aggressive looking enough for my liking. The Falken's were a very good tire. Looked good and price was right, but I found them to get louder over time. Certainly not mud tire loud, just louder than they were when new.

I'm hoping to try Kenda Klever's on my stock 22's in the spring. Big 22" tires are just so darn expensive. If I decide to pay up, I'm going to try to the new Toyo Open Country AT3's.

PowerJrod

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I've run:

Falken Wildpeak At3's
BFG KO's and KO2's
Nitto Terra Grappler
Continental Terrain Contact A/T's
Toyo R/T's (not an A/T but close)

My overall pick is BFG's. They perform well in most conditions. I even plowed a winter in them. They are not the quietest, but they are not loud and in my opinion are the "standard bearer" of good looking semi aggressive tire. The Toyo R/T's made a weird resonance on the highway. Looked great, but it ended there for me. Duratrac's were ok a little on the loud side. It's been over 10 years since I ran those. The Nittos and more so the Continental's were barely an A/T. They were good quiet tires and road very smooth, but not aggressive looking enough for my liking. The Falken's were a very good tire. Looked good and price was right, but I found them to get louder over time. Certainly not mud tire loud, just louder than they were when new.

I'm hoping to try Kenda Klever's on my stock 22's in the spring. Big 22" tires are just so darn expensive. If I decide to pay up, I'm going to try to the new Toyo Open Country AT3's.
KO2's are definitely decent...but no way I'd recommend them if OP isn't going off road at all.

neeginan

Reaction score
Not sure what size you are looking for, but Goodyear Wrangler Trailrunner AT tires are a good AT tire at a great price in the 275/65 R20 size. For whatever reason, in other sizes the price difference may not be as big. With a smaller difference in price, there are better tires for the money out there like some listed here like Duratracs, BFG K02s or Falken Wildpeaks.

Trailrunner AT is not as aggressive as the Duratracs. Duratracs are a better tire, if you don't mind some road noise once some miles are on them. There are a lot of other better tires listed here as well. But for the money, and for occasional offroad use, don't sell the Trailrunner AT short. And for whatever reason, they are a bargain in the 275/65 R20 size from what I saw.

My RAM spends 95%+ of it's miles on pavement and I don't haul real heavy, or tow really big stuff. Trailrunners are way underrated for occasional dirt road / back road / snow use. In this size they are Load Range E / 3750 lbs and they are 3pmsf severe snow rated. If you look at the AT Tire comparison ratings, they are not the best in any one category, but they are rated pretty highly in all categories, and are very quiet for an AT tire.

SpeedyV

Ram Connoisseur
Staff member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
I've run E-rated KO2s for years, but I like these OEM Falken AT3WAs enough that I might buy the "even better" AT3Ws when it's time to replace them.

Users who are viewing this thread