5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Best accessories and mods under $100

bigoldthor

Reaction score
I've seen this on other message boards but didn't see one here. (Sorry if I missed it but didn't come up in the search.)

So, for those looking to do some cheap modifications and/or accessorizing, what are the best ones that you've done or heard of for less than $100? As for me, I'm not really much into modifying my vehicle, but I'm always open to good ideas if they're relatively inexpensive and fairly easy to do/use. (I'm not a "young" man anymore, and I'm not interested in crawling around under and all over my truck doing stuff like I used to. For those of you who do, God bless you and carry on.)

Things I've done on past vehicles (some are obvious):
  • Cell phone mounts (various styles). This is kind of a moot point if you have the center console with the integrated cell phone holders
  • Hitch covers
  • Antennae (though not necessary here with the shark fin style we have)
  • Mud flaps
  • Floor mats (although good ones will push that $100 limit quickly, especially if you get a rear mat too)
  • Bed mat (if no spray in liner)
  • Tailgate liner (if no spray in liner)
  • Magnetic bed/cargo lamp (if one isn't build in)
  • Cargo/tool bag for my truck "stuff" - three compartments, non skit or with straps you can use to latch it)
  • A bed cargo grab bar for reaching stuff way up in the front of the bed
  • Long-handled windshield cleaning tool (those ones with the pivoting heads)

mikeru82

Legendary member
Reaction score

bigoldthor

Reaction score
Mud flaps from Amazon. Knock-off brand but they fit well and were easy to install. Sorry, no pics at this time with them installed.
That's a really good buy if someone isn't looking for OEM or name-brand.

One thing I've noticed on Amazon is that my "garage" shows the 2020 Ram, and things that I KNOW will fit often show as "will not fit your 2020 Ram", at least according to Amazon. I know that it's just their computer basing it on descriptions or lord knows what. But still...it's annoying and makes me second guess myself.

brian42

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I'm not sure if this breaks the rules but, in the interest of time and not copying everything over, here's a list from another forum that's been going for well over a year and has a lot of good stuff:

bigoldthor

Reaction score
I'm not sure if this breaks the rules but, in the interest of time and not copying everything over, here's a list from another forum that's been going for well over a year and has a lot of good stuff:

Haha, I saw that over on the other forum, which is what prompted me to post it here. No harm, no foul I say. :)

derp

Reaction score
I've seen this on other message boards but didn't see one here. (Sorry if I missed it but didn't come up in the search.)

So, for those looking to do some cheap modifications and/or accessorizing, what are the best ones that you've done or heard of for less than $100? As for me, I'm not really much into modifying my vehicle, but I'm always open to good ideas if they're relatively inexpensive and fairly easy to do/use. (I'm not a "young" man anymore, and I'm not interested in crawling around under and all over my truck doing stuff like I used to. For those of you who do, God bless you and carry on.)

Things I've done on past vehicles (some are obvious):
  • Cell phone mounts (various styles). This is kind of a moot point if you have the center console with the integrated cell phone holders
  • Hitch covers
  • Mud flaps
  • Floor mats (although good ones will push that $100 limit quickly, especially if you get a rear mat too)
  • Tailgate liner (if no spray in liner)
  • Cargo/tool bag for my truck "stuff" - three compartments, non skit or with straps you can use to latch it)

this is the best looking and secured one I have seen yet. I am done with the idea of cell phone mounts on vents.

• Hitch covers
  • The Topper King franchise in my town has a nice nerfy bed step up trailer hitch mount. good for entusiastically ensuring you are backed up as far as you can withouth damage, and a leg up on climbing into the bed.
    the coolest sharkfin thing I have seen recently was a demo on a sharkfin that hears for sirens/emergency vehicles and warns in the passenger cabin. useful for those with great sound dampening.
    I have the weathertechs. got them for a christmas present, don't know how much they cost.
    I did a professionally installed spray in, but my friend who is much more patient than I did his own roll in liner for his f150 that holds up just as good as mine is and his truck is 6 years older. he got it at autozone for about a hundred bucks.
    on top of the spray in I use a carpet scrap cut to size from my house. it keeps things from rolling about loudly in the back.
    I am in process of installing waterproofed LED RGB strip lighting . amazon, 20 bucks.

I've just been using a craftsman red 3 drawer, open top locking toolbox that I have had for years. between the weight, the carpeting, and the corner of the truck I leave it in, I haven't had a problem yet. I keep sockets, multi-meter, drivers, wire scrap, Teflon tape, electrical tape, etc in it.
    I use a push-broom. it also works great for sweeping out dust and Christmas tree needles after loading the bed with junk.
    I got one @ target with a few microfiber cloths. don't recall the price but it was super cheap.

• not listed above:
  • Alfaobd for phone and Bluetooth dongle - enable features and diagnose issues, data-logging.
  • z auto Secure Gateway module bypass for being able to push commands to the truck for feature unlocks and diagnostics without taking it to the dealership and paying them.
  • Z auto composite video cable for attaching a 3rd party video source to the in dash display like a DVD player or cargo bed cam/front cam.
  • Lithium rechargeable dust buster for cleaning up after the kids almost every day.
  • pumice stones for getting dog-hair out of the carpets.

bigoldthor

Reaction score
    this is the best looking and secured one I have seen yet. I am done with the idea of cell phone mounts on vents.

• Hitch covers
  • The Topper King franchise in my town has a nice nerfy bed step up trailer hitch mount. good for entusiastically ensuring you are backed up as far as you can withouth damage, and a leg up on climbing into the bed.
    the coolest sharkfin thing I have seen recently was a demo on a sharkfin that hears for sirens/emergency vehicles and warns in the passenger cabin. useful for those with great sound dampening.
    I have the weathertechs. got them for a christmas present, don't know how much they cost.
    I did a professionally installed spray in, but my friend who is much more patient than I did his own roll in liner for his f150 that holds up just as good as mine is and his truck is 6 years older. he got it at autozone for about a hundred bucks.
    on top of the spray in I use a carpet scrap cut to size from my house. it keeps things from rolling about loudly in the back.
    I am in process of installing waterproofed LED RGB strip lighting . amazon, 20 bucks.

I've just been using a craftsman red 3 drawer, open top locking toolbox that I have had for years. between the weight, the carpeting, and the corner of the truck I leave it in, I haven't had a problem yet. I keep sockets, multi-meter, drivers, wire scrap, Teflon tape, electrical tape, etc in it.
    I use a push-broom. it also works great for sweeping out dust and Christmas tree needles after loading the bed with junk.
    I got one @ target with a few microfiber cloths. don't recall the price but it was super cheap.

• not listed above:
  • Alfaobd for phone and Bluetooth dongle - enable features and diagnose issues, data-logging.
  • z auto Secure Gateway module bypass for being able to push commands to the truck for feature unlocks and diagnostics without taking it to the dealership and paying them.
  • Z auto composite video cable for attaching a 3rd party video source to the in dash display like a DVD player or cargo bed cam/front cam.
  • Lithium rechargeable dust buster for cleaning up after the kids almost every day.
  • pumice stones for getting dog-hair out of the carpets.
Excellent list...thanks for sharing. Gave me a couple of ideas. (y)

derp

Reaction score
how does this work? You just scrub a pumice stone into your carpet?
pretty much. drag it across the carpet and the stone snags the doghair. pumice, being very brittle ends up breaking down into dust as it goes, but you pull off the hair from the carpets, and the dust vacuums out easily.

brian42

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Replacing the dash speakers in my base (6 speaker) audio system.

Speakers: Faital Pro 3FE22 (8 ohm) - $66 from Amazon

Connectors: Metra 72-7902 - $10 from Crutchfield

Bass blockers: Crutchfield 007BB600 (300 Hz @ 8 ohm) - $10 from Crutchfield

With shipping and tax it put me right around $100.

Users who are viewing this thread