5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Bent front bumper bad

Kevo

Reaction score
Hello,

I was camping this weekend and I ended up bending my front bumper bad from a 1.5 ft metal pipe in the ground that I couldn't see at night (nor the sensors). Anyway wondering what I should do. Insurance claim? Not sure where to find a bumper to replace it. Or what else I could do. Open to any suggestions.

Attachments

• 20220301_092242.jpg
    20220301_092242.jpg
    181 KB · Views: 137
  • 20220301_092249.jpg
    20220301_092249.jpg
    150.4 KB · Views: 135
  • 20220301_092252.jpg
    20220301_092252.jpg
    155.9 KB · Views: 134

UnloosedChewtoy

5thGenRams Supporter
Site Supporter
Reaction score
That stinks, sorry to see this. Depending on your deductible, insurance claim may be the cheapest route.

You could take it to a body shop or two that you trust and get some estimates. Those are usually free.

You don’t have a signature with your truck’s info, so I cannot tell what model year you have there exactly. If you are lucky, there may be some salvage yard trucks you can source some parts from in your area, if you are handy with a wrench, don’t mind doing some searching, and want to save some bucks.

DSTJ99

Reaction score
I’ve been pricing swapping a chrome bumper out for painted and the cheapest new one I’ve found was $700 ish range on eBay pre painted but you’ll need to place the middle and lower plastic pieces too. Doubt you’ll be able to do it yourself for less than $1k unless you found a used one and there is a bunch of stuff on the backside of the bumper that needs to be transferred over making it a tedious process.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

OldMarine

Ram Guru
Reaction score
ok, look....I am a MA state licensed ins appraiser. I can tell by your photos that you are looking at $3000 at LEAST to fix that. Go through ins, that's what it's for. Face bar, lower grill, undershield, at least one sensor,(plus dealer reset), brackets, labor....etc and you might have damage to the lower crossmember, and shutter system if equipped.

ShortStack

Reaction score
Carful with the insurance claim. Insurance companies have a "blame" entry when they submit for payment to you. This sticks with you for 3 years which in turn means higher payments each month for 3 years.
How do I know ? I filed a claim on my other car that I could have paid out of pocket and my rate went up 8% - and this is with USAA. I live in a "no accident forgiveness" state. But if you have accident forgiveness you might be able to get it done for the cost of your deductible.
If you can find the bumper and the sensor tray that looks to be cracked and do it yourself you would be save a lot of time and money.

Kevo

Reaction score
Carful with the insurance claim. Insurance companies have a "blame" entry when they submit for payment to you. This sticks with you for 3 years which in turn means higher payments each month for 3 years.
How do I know ? I filed a claim on my other car that I could have paid out of pocket and my rate went up 8% - and this is with USAA. I live in a "no accident forgiveness" state. But if you have accident forgiveness you might be able to get it done for the cost of your deductible.
If you can find the bumper and the sensor tray that looks to be cracked and do it yourself you would be save a lot of time and money.
That's what I'm worried about. I can add accident forgiveness to my plan but I'm not sure if that would protect me from having my rates go up. I believe my deductible is $1000. I found one front bumper assembly in my color, but that sold already. I would like to save some money and do it myself, but some of the responses state that might be a huge undertaking.

GoMango16

Reaction score
Looks like it could be fixed by the owner. Parts was within his deductible.

Jeffjad

Ram Guru
Reaction score
That's what I'm worried about. I can add accident forgiveness to my plan but I'm not sure if that would protect me from having my rates go up. I believe my deductible is $1000. I found one front bumper assembly in my color, but that sold already. I would like to save some money and do it myself, but some of the responses state that might be a huge undertaking.
Listen to @OldMarine....at the end of the day you will spend way more than your 1k deductable to find a new bumper plus parts and labor or your personal time to replace.

I am a military guy myself and if USAA is going to raise your rate that much for a claim then I promise you that you can find a better rate somewhere else. USAA had been very good to me in many ways but could never give me a better rate for auto insurance than the company I am with.

Last edited:

d19r93

Reaction score
I have USAA as well. They have replaced numerous windshields and fixed hail damage on a truck, and they have not raised the rates on me. I bet you'll be at $1000 or close to it when you find a bumper and have it sprayed with your color on it, plus the plastic grill. I don't see any damage to the sensor itself - you probably will be able to reuse that. It boils down to if you want to have that claim on your insurance. Me? I'd either leave it as-is or try to fix it myself to avoid a claim. But that's just me.

UnloosedChewtoy

5thGenRams Supporter
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Of all the auto insurance companies, if any are less likely to goof around with your rates, its USAA. My father is a veteran, and I only wish they could come close to my current insurance; they want just shy of double what I'm currently paying, and for less coverage.

There didn't use to be that big of a difference, and I thought about switching a couple times, but it seems its gotten crazier in the past couple of years.

Users who are viewing this thread