5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Beginning to HATE my Multi-Function Tailgate - MOPAR Bed Divider DOES NOT WORK!!!

JWieseckel

Reaction score
With the tail gate down, brackets on/off how is it any different than a Truck without the multi function tail gate? Unless the entire back end of the truck is built differently just because of the MFT. If you bolt brackets on a truck without the MFT I’m sure it will feel more solid. I guess I’ll let you guys know in a few months/years if removing the brackets damaged my tailgate. I’ve had mine off for about a month with absolutely no issues. View attachment 38774
How is this holding up without the brackets?

HaciendaMan

Reaction score
My 2020 1500 Limited has the MFT also, I wanted a cover but quickly learned that the brackets are a problem so I went with this: Problem solved.

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2020-03-08 at 6.46.38 PM.png
    Screen Shot 2020-03-08 at 6.46.38 PM.png
    604.5 KB · Views: 187

rome5982

Reaction score
That being said - can't seem to get a good seal on this Gator Hybrid. Moved it back an inch, to get a little more of the seal over the tailgate - and it leaked from the front driving in the rain last night.

Are you still using the Gator Hybrid? How long is your bed? What did the vendor say about the leak/shortness of the cover? Thanks.

RSConsulting

Reaction score
Are you still using the Gator Hybrid? How long is your bed? What did the vendor say about the leak/shortness of the cover? Thanks.

5'7" - still using. No cover is perfect - I mainly see it going through the car wash (where you'd really expect to see it). I moved it forward about 1/2" and it got a little better. Never contacted the vendor.

Rick

Boston

Reaction score
I’ve already decided that the split tailgate isn’t for me. Those braces are there to try and cover up for the loss of strength and rigidity caused by the two piece tailgate.
Definitely should NOT put a bed cap on if you have the split.

Pino F

Reaction score
I think you guys are way overthinking this.
66458145e8cf35f7a7f5f5800c4d8c53.jpg

I replaced the brackets with the 3/8 ones and installed the retrax cover and it all fit and functioned with no issues.
I just have to see why I have two small drips between the slots of the cover otherwise I’m extremely happy with it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

ATXProgress

Reaction score
Recently purchased and installed Rough Country Tri-fold for my 2020 Ram 1500 with MFT, with bed rails. Cover fits great....had to find the right angles as bed rails are in line with where the handles for clamps go, but it worked great. Clamps in front are far enough back that they don’t interfere with the support braces near cab. Tailgate opens and closes and swings open great. Only thing that is restricted is remote opening, as the tonneau ‘catches’ tailgate before it can open on its own (gentle pull opens it). 1596374176113.jpeg

Rsorrell2

Reaction score
I bought the cargo manager and took it off and doubt I will ever use it.

I have found that using straps is easier and quicker than the divider. Seems I was always removing the divider to put something in the bed anyway.

I did get a set ofBullring tie downs that I also use.

it would seem to me that they could have designed the divider to work with the cargo rails which are adjustable as well.

Pino F

Reaction score
What does the cargo manager look like?

Thx

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

RSConsulting

Reaction score
As a "postscript" (since this thread got resurrected).

I did end up cutting the rails for the bed divider down (about 16"). I really only needed it to be mobile for the rear 2/3's of the bed - and it does what I need it to do. Because the original design was meant to run the entire length of the bed, the rails for the divider to "slide around" on the bed rails a bit. I supposed I could throw some washers on the bolts to lock it down a little tighter - but - as I mentioned - it does what I need it to do.

Rick

Users who are viewing this thread