5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Beginning to HATE my Multi-Function Tailgate - MOPAR Bed Divider DOES NOT WORK!!!

RSConsulting

Reaction score
Would be nice if Mopar would actually put on their accessories site - "WILL NOT WORK WITH MULTI-FUNCTION TAILGATE".

Seems like NOTHING WORKS with the MFT Tailgate. I am beginning to REGRET GETTING IT.

At any rate - frustrating afternoon...

Went to mount the rails for the divider - of course the BRACKETS ARE IN THE WAY.

Okay - fine - screw the warranty. Take the brackets off, mount the rails for the divider, install the divider. COOL.

Go to install the ONLY COVER THAT WILL FIT WITH THE BRACKETS (Gator Hybrid) - and OF COURSE - the RAILS FOR THE DIVIDER ARE IN THE WAY.

Soooo. OUT comes the divider and rails. Brackets go back on - cover goes on, and now I'm stuck trying to sell a Bed Divider (which will go up in the For Sale Section for the $241 I paid for it on Amazon - FREE DELIVERY in the SoFlorida area - I'll even help install it, which I'm quite experience at - SINCE I'VE HAD IT IN AND OUT TWICE IN ONE AFTERNOON.

GRRRRRR - Love my truck, but starting to HATE RAM...

Rick

Willwork4truck

Spends too much time on here
Reaction score
Sorry that its a pain. MOPAR could have done a better job anticipating what buyers might want to do with their beds if they purchased a MFT.
Since it's a new option a lot of aftermarket items haven't been engineered for it yet either. :(

RSConsulting

Reaction score
Can you not return it for a refund?

Sadly - shopped for price (on amazon) and the packaging got kind of mangled. They put all the parts in ziplocks, then SEAL THEM (so they have to be mangled to get the parts out).

I have an IDEA for a modification - that involves CUTTING THE RAILS DOWN, so they miss the brackets (and the mount for the cover). Which will work in the interim, until someone comes out with a cover I REALLY LIKE for the MFT (when the rails will likely get in the way of the cover rails).

I also believe the OEM for these is ROLL-N-LOCK, asn they make THE EXACT SAME BED DIVIDER for their covers. They're LOCAL to me - and the powdercoat shop in the building I live in (mancave in a light industrial complex) does all their powdercoat work. I might make a run by there today to talk to the bossman and see if they DO make the divider, and if he has any ideas on a modification to make it work.

But again - what REALLY CHAFFS MY SACK, is that NOWHERE in the documentation online, on ANY MOPAR SITE - does it say DOESN'T WORK WITH MFT TAILGATE. It DOES SAY "Will not work with RAMBOX". And I researched the hell out of it (I research EVERY MOD to death, I'm just like that).

divider.jpg

So essentially - NOTHING OUT THERE WORKS WITH THE MFT. I only found ONE TONNEAU COVER that works (for now) - the Gator Hybrid.

My issue isn't as much that it DOESN'T FIT - but that NOWHERE IS IT DOCUMENTED that it DOESN'T FIT. It's not even the $240 I spent on it. I have shelves full of aborted mods, or stuff I just ended up not liking - for my Harleys and other toys.

Overall - LOVE MY TRUCK. I drove, configured & priced EVERYTHING OUT THERE (except the Nissan Titan - which sucked just looking at it). I went with RAM for a reason (being a lifelong Chevy guy, except for my Hondas - which are still the best value $$ for $$).

Thanks for allowing me to VENT MY FRUSTRATION.

Rick

RJS

Reaction score
Sadly - shopped for price (on amazon) and the packaging got kind of mangled. They put all the parts in ziplocks, then SEAL THEM (so they have to be mangled to get the parts out).

I have an IDEA for a modification - that involves CUTTING THE RAILS DOWN, so they miss the brackets (and the mount for the cover). Which will work in the interim, until someone comes out with a cover I REALLY LIKE for the MFT (when the rails will likely get in the way of the cover rails).

I also believe the OEM for these is ROLL-N-LOCK, asn they make THE EXACT SAME BED DIVIDER for their covers. They're LOCAL to me - and the powdercoat shop in the building I live in (mancave in a light industrial complex) does all their powdercoat work. I might make a run by there today to talk to the bossman and see if they DO make the divider, and if he has any ideas on a modification to make it work.

But again - what REALLY CHAFFS MY SACK, is that NOWHERE in the documentation online, on ANY MOPAR SITE - does it say DOESN'T WORK WITH MFT TAILGATE. It DOES SAY "Will not work with RAMBOX". And I researched the hell out of it (I research EVERY MOD to death, I'm just like that).

View attachment 38631

So essentially - NOTHING OUT THERE WORKS WITH THE MFT. I only found ONE TONNEAU COVER that works (for now) - the Gator Hybrid.

My issue isn't as much that it DOESN'T FIT - but that NOWHERE IS IT DOCUMENTED that it DOESN'T FIT. It's not even the $240 I spent on it. I have shelves full of aborted mods, or stuff I just ended up not liking - for my Harleys and other toys.

Overall - LOVE MY TRUCK. I drove, configured & priced EVERYTHING OUT THERE (except the Nissan Titan - which sucked just looking at it). I went with RAM for a reason (being a lifelong Chevy guy, except for my Hondas - which are still the best value $$ for $$).

Rick

Personally, I'd contact Amazon and tell them it doesn't fit the model as described and you want to return it. They'll just issue a return and pay shipping for that reason. Someone will get a good deal on it from Amazon Warehouse. You only pay to ship it back if you miss ordered.

Beatle9999

Reaction score
I have the MFT and was gonna install the bed divider. So what exactly doesn’t work with the cover? I removed my brackets and went with a backflip. But I’m not sure what you say will get in the way. My side rails have small clips that attach at the sides. I’m wondering if they will block it.

Attachments

• 13FDF802-55F4-4B02-887E-CE2D20A6F0FF.jpeg
    13FDF802-55F4-4B02-887E-CE2D20A6F0FF.jpeg
    303.9 KB · Views: 401

RSConsulting

Reaction score
I have the MFT and was gonna install the bed divider. So what exactly doesn’t work with the cover? I removed my brackets and went with a backflip. But I’m not sure what you say will get in the way. My side rails have small clips that attach at the sides. I’m wondering if they will block it.

You have REMOVED THE SUPPORT BRACKETS from the front of the bed. Not sure if you installed the bakflip and removed the brackets - or you installer did it for you. From other threads on covers and the MFT - a member here posted a note from FCA that removing the brackets VOIDS THE WARRANTY ON THE BED. So if you have any issues down the road with the bed cracking, or panels distorting down the road - NO WARRANTY.

The bakflip guys I spoke to, when I wanted that cover - told me; "it WILL NOT WORK with the brackets, but we CAN'T TELL ME TO TAKE THEM OFF" - theus relieving themselves of any potential liability down the road if owners decided to. It's not like they have "REMOVE BRACKETS ON MFT BEDS" in their installation instructions. At least THEIR WEBSITE says "Will Not Work with MFT Tailgates" - unlike MOPARS, which says NOTHING about the Bed Divider NOT WORKING because of the brackets.

RAM Gator Underside (1).jpg

Another member here was kind enough to message me about the Gator Hybrid cover I ended up with, with this photo to verify fitment- That ugly bracket on top of the picture - is the one YOU ARE NOT SUPPOSED TO REMOVE - and the one that prevents pretty much EVERYTHING from fitting the MFT beds. The bolt for the clamp in this photo, hit the rail for the bed divider. Yeah - I could have cut the screw down. But I was frustrated enough by having to take the brackets off (and void the warranty), that I just said SCREW IT - put the brackets back on and ditched the divider install.

The rails for the Bed Divider, attach to the factory bed rails - but are ABOVE THEM. So I can't say for sure - if the rails for the divider will EVEN CLEAR the rails for the cover. Don't have a picture, because I didn't leave them on long enough. But if you have a 5'7" bed - the rails for the divider go FLUSH UP TO THE BULKHEAD - and may hit the side clamp for your cover. When installed against the bulkhead, there's about an inch of "free space" on the tailgate side. So it may not clear the clamp at the front of the bed. Now - you can cut a couple of inches off the front of the rail - and it WILL CLEAR the clamp on cover rail and the "thumbwheel" that holds the cover onto the rails - if you're into "modding the mods".

Personally - I want the divider bad enough - I'm thinking of cutting 16" off it, to clear the the brackets. I really only need to for the rear 2/3's of the bed anyways. I have a master fabricator here in my complex (builds all the props for the Flex-Seal commercials), that could do it quite easily.

But if you're looking for something that's just going to "bolt right in" (as we expect accessories to do), then I can't say for certain that this is going to work - nor can I say for certain, that it will clear the rails for the cover - but it looks like it probably will. But if you have to take the cover off for any reason - you will have to take the rails for the divider off first.

I personally, am leery about taking the factory brackets off. While I don't think they "tested to failure" the bed, to determine the brackets are NECESSARY - the engineers put them there for a reason. And you can be sure if you have ANY ISSUES WITH THE BED in the future, FCA will DENY WARRANTY because you opted to do so. I may just say "screw it" down the road, and take the brackets off too. I got the Gator Hybrid, not as a FIRST CHOICE - but because I really want/need a cover on my bed.

Anyways - pay the extra $$ and get it from a local dealer. That way - if it doesn't work, you have easier recourse for a return. BUT DON'T LET THEM SEE THE BRACKETS REMOVED (LOL).

Regards,

Rick

grifodan67

Reaction score

View attachment 38631

Rick

Only cover I found that seems to work with the Cargo Bed Divider seems to be the Roll-N-Lock M Series:

g3sys

Reaction score
I wanted to put an extang flush cover on mine and asked the dealer if those corner brackets were structural and they said they were not so i removed them. Are you sure they are??

RSConsulting

Reaction score
Personally, I'd contact Amazon and tell them it doesn't fit the model as described and you want to return it. They'll just issue a return and pay shipping for that reason. Someone will get a good deal on it from Amazon Warehouse. You only pay to ship it back if you miss ordered.

That is an option.

Strangely enough - because I'm a "mod-aholic", and there's a lot of stuff that I've designed and made (or had made) "one-off" for my harleys and cars. I'm actually going to cut like 16 inches of the rails and install them so they don't interfere with the cover. It looks like there's a lot of stuff that just doesn't work "off the shelf" - so I guess I'm just gonna have to hook up with my fabricator buddies and MAKE STUFF FIT.

Rick

Adrianp89

Reaction score
I am in Tampa, could meet you half way if price is right on the divider.

RSConsulting

Reaction score
I am in Tampa, could meet you half way if price is right on the divider.

I'm actually going to PUNT and CUT THE RAILS. This is an accessory I (think) I really need - how much I'll actually use it remains to be seen. I'm coming out of an SUV - so there's a lot of "stuff" I carried in the previous truck (if you can call it that), that will need to go in the bed of this one. Grocery and crap carrying aside (which can realistically go in the back seat).

I'm going to chop the rail down from 57.5" to 38" (band chopsaw at a friends shop). The rails "should be" short enough to clear the clamps fore and aft for the cover, yet give me enough movement to cover 2/3's of the bed - which is what I realistically would want to have for "range of motion" for this setup. Put all my other "stuff" in a covered plastic bin bungee'd to the forward side of the divider and I should be rocking & rolling.

Rick

Adrianp89

Reaction score
Why not just get rid of the brackets? A topper and the bed divider will provide square structure support.

RSConsulting

Reaction score
I wanted to put an extang flush cover on mine and asked the dealer if those corner brackets were structural and they said they were not so i removed them. Are you sure they are??
Screenshot_20190718-124500.jpg

As posted on another thread - reply from RamCare.

Now - the cover manufacturers I contacted, told me "we can't tell you to take the brackets off" - which lets them off the hook, liability-wise. I noticed the bed "appeared to be more rigid", when I put the brackets back on.

So this is an "at your own risk" kind of deal. I'm not really digging the Gator Hybrid all that much - still juggling around the position to prevent leaks. It seems when I move it BACK to get a better seal on the tailgate - the front leaks (and vice versa). There isn't a whole lot of "play" in the overhang, and the seals aren't all that great.

Some of the "cover major heavy" companies are saying Q-1/Q2-2020 for a revision - but it would require a major re-design of their mounting methodology, so I'm not holding my breath.

Rick

RSConsulting

Reaction score
Why not just get rid of the brackets? A topper and the bed divider will provide square structure support.

Ah - not really. These brackets are pretty large (all things considered) and having taken them off/putting them back on - they do seem to lock the front of the bed in pretty solid.

For the time being, I'm going to leave them in - but I will grow impatient by spring if I can't get the cover I really want, in a verion that's designed for the Multi (Extang Encore or Bakflip Fibermax).

Rick

Beatle9999

Reaction score
With the tail gate down, brackets on/off how is it any different than a Truck without the multi function tail gate? Unless the entire back end of the truck is built differently just because of the MFT. If you bolt brackets on a truck without the MFT I’m sure it will feel more solid. I guess I’ll let you guys know in a few months/years if removing the brackets damaged my tailgate. I’ve had mine off for about a month with absolutely no issues. B4F7A1A6-029C-4BC4-A9A4-4693185766E0.jpeg

RSConsulting

Reaction score
With the tail gate down, brackets on/off how is it any different than a Truck without the multi function tail gate? Unless the entire back end of the truck is built differently just because of the MFT. If you bolt brackets on a truck without the MFT I’m sure it will feel more solid. I guess I’ll let you guys know in a few months/years if removing the brackets damaged my tailgate. I’ve had mine off for about a month with absolutely no issues. View attachment 38774

From my understanding - the issue isn't the tailgate - but the structural stress it (could) put on the bed. Not that I'm advocating either way - but the engineers didn't just add them for NO REASON. I did notice when I took mine off, then put them back on - that the front bulkhead and wall did seem to pull together as I tightened them down. While they may not actually be a structural necessity, they DO actually serve to strengthen the structure.

It would likely take more than a month, too see "issues" develop anyways. And if they did, you could pop the cover off, put the brackets back on - head to the dealer and "play dumb". "Brackets - what brackets?".

That being said - can't seem to get a good seal on this Gator Hybrid. Moved it back an inch, to get a little more of the seal over the tailgate - and it leaked from the front driving in the rain last night.

I might take a ride over to "Roll-N-Lock" on Monday (since I have a connection over there), and see what their offerings are (without brackets). I was thinking about a lid - and as nice as some of them are - I think the tri-folds are better looking and obviously more versatile.

Regards,

Rick

scope1

Reaction score
Wow what an ordeal you went through. I recently put a Retrax Pro XR on my 2020 Ram 1500 without rambox and with MFT. I used brackets from Peter at rightonbracket.com and swapped out the stock brackets with these 3/8 inch steel brackets which appears to offer the same stability as the original brackets. I figure that if the bed "falls apart" I can always take off the roll top switch out the brackets to the originals and take it in for service. I wonder if these brackets would work for you?

HeliPilot

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I would think that if the MFT barn doors were open, you've just added a 2ft lever to one side of the bed, and a 1ft or more to the opposite side. Take a 200 lbs dude/dudette leaning on the open door or pulling on it from the outside for leverage, you are now capable of introducing much greater stress to the bed sides. I can see these situations pulling the bed sides out of square, hence the brackets at the front of the bed (which would never be an issue with standard tailgates, and I'm sure it's not an issue if the MFT is used as a standard tailgate). Makes sense to me, but I'm no engineer

Kob0583

Reaction score
Where are you in FL?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Users who are viewing this thread