5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Beef up or sell? 1500 Towing Capabilities

1500Pulls

Reaction score
Hey Guys,

I have a small topsoil business here in the midwest (owner/operator) where we load out trucks for delivery. This year I'm thinking about doing residential deliveries as we've mostly been focused on construction needs offering triaxle deliveries with trucking partners. I have had a Ram 2500 6.7L Cummins, a Chevy 2500 6.7L gasser and more recently downsized into a Ram 1500 5.7L with 3.92 gearing. According to the Ram towing chart, I can tow up to 11.4k lbs.

I've been looking at picking up a 7x12 12k sure-trac dump trailer which has a weight of 3400 lbs and a payload capacity of 8500. Topsoil weighs roughly 2100 lbs dry so if I load out around 3.5-4 yards, I should be within my towing capacity.

Now I've tried this with the stock setup, and while I can pull, the sag is horrific. I've been looking into airride bags paired with some falcon tow/level shocks and swapping out the stock tires for some load range e Nitto Ridge Grappler 285/60/20 for strength.

I'm wondering if anyone has beefed up their 1500 with a 3.92 gearing and 5.7L engine to tow at capacity ?

I'd like to avoid having to sell the truck to go up to a 2500, the extra coin of $10k to go to a 6.4L or $20k to go to the 6.7L would only provide me the ability to tow an extra yard or two respectively. I do miss pulling a gooseneck vs a bumper pull, but I'm not sure what the residential demand is going to be yet so I was hoping to spend the $4-5k on upgrades and pickup a dump at $9k vs the alternative of $20-30k.

Curious if anyone pulls 11k with their 1500 and how well it performs. I dont need to be haulin @ss up mountains (which we dont have lol) I just need to get it there safely.

Thanks!

RAM Patriot

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I had the same issue hauling a Travel Trailer with my truck.

I switched to an E rated tire as you have already suggested that makes a big difference, the next step that I took was to install a set of Timbren Suspension Enhancement System (DR1500DQ) which fixed the sagging issues. The final step was to install a Hellweg sway bar to replace the hollow factory bar. This planted the rear end of the truck and gave more stability to the ride.

If you implement these three changes I believe it will meet your needs. (y)

1500Pulls

Reaction score
I had the same issue hauling a Travel Trailer with my truck.

I switched to an E rated tire as you have already suggested that makes a big difference, the next step that I took was to install a set of Timbren Suspension Enhancement System (DR1500DQ) which fixed the sagging issues. The final step was to install a Hellweg sway bar to replace the hollow factory bar. This planted the rear end of the truck and gave more stability to the ride.

If you implement these three changes I believe it will meet your needs. (y)
Thanks, I appreciate that!

Reaction score
I just did a swap from stock, but i added a leveling kit first (bilstein 5100).

The rear I added dobinsons 330-500 lbs coil springs. I have not hooked to my trailer yet, but I should have a 10000 lbs load to tow next week, possibly tomorrow. I take it slow and use the backroads to keep away from other traffic.

Ramroo

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Hey Guys,

I have a small topsoil business here in the midwest (owner/operator) where we load out trucks for delivery. This year I'm thinking about doing residential deliveries as we've mostly been focused on construction needs offering triaxle deliveries with trucking partners. I have had a Ram 2500 6.7L Cummins, a Chevy 2500 6.7L gasser and more recently downsized into a Ram 1500 5.7L with 3.92 gearing. According to the Ram towing chart, I can tow up to 11.4k lbs.

I've been looking at picking up a 7x12 12k sure-trac dump trailer which has a weight of 3400 lbs and a payload capacity of 8500. Topsoil weighs roughly 2100 lbs dry so if I load out around 3.5-4 yards, I should be within my towing capacity.

Now I've tried this with the stock setup, and while I can pull, the sag is horrific. I've been looking into airride bags paired with some falcon tow/level shocks and swapping out the stock tires for some load range e Nitto Ridge Grappler 285/60/20 for strength.

I'm wondering if anyone has beefed up their 1500 with a 3.92 gearing and 5.7L engine to tow at capacity ?

I'd like to avoid having to sell the truck to go up to a 2500, the extra coin of $10k to go to a 6.4L or $20k to go to the 6.7L would only provide me the ability to tow an extra yard or two respectively. I do miss pulling a gooseneck vs a bumper pull, but I'm not sure what the residential demand is going to be yet so I was hoping to spend the $4-5k on upgrades and pickup a dump at $9k vs the alternative of $20-30k.

Curious if anyone pulls 11k with their 1500 and how well it performs. I dont need to be haulin @ss up mountains (which we dont have lol) I just need to get it there safely.

Thanks!
Sell it and get a 3500.

Eighty

Moderator / Dream Killer
Staff member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Hey Guys,

Thanks!
If you're loading up a trailer to a total of 11,400 lbs, then what's the tongue weight? My guess is somewhere around 1400-1500 lbs. And how much weight is in the truck (driver, passengers, cargo)? I suspect you're upwards of 1800 lbs when you add everything together.
Now, what does the sticker on your door jamb say? It will list your actual payload capacity. I suspect you're exceeding the truck's payload capacity. AND, unless you're using a WDH, you have terrible weight distribution.

kzielu

Reaction score
You almost certainly are significantly exceeding payload on your truck - towing capacity on 1500 is basically irrelevant, they're always payload limited and no amount of beefing it up is going to help with it (in fact you're risking damaging frame/axle/whatever).

Users who are viewing this thread