5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Bedrug Mat - Attach to tailgate how?

Zinger

Reaction score
I bought a universal (5x8?) Bedrug mat that I'm going to cut down to size for my Rambox bed. I'll have enough left over for the tailgate as well. Since this is just the universal mat, there are no sticky portions on it.

What would you guys recommend using to adhere it to the tailgate? Double sided tape? I have the spray-in liner.

moosem

Ram Guru
Reaction score
That's what I did on mine. I found that the BedRug didn't have enough attachment points for the velcro strips on the tailgate, so I added some double sided tape and it worked well. However, the first tape I tried came from Home Depot and it did not adhere to the carpet material of the BedRug very well, so I got some from work that worked great. Probably came from McMaster Carr.

Goatmann

Ram Guru
Reaction score
You may need to get a couple of these so the adhesive will stick onto the liner...
3M 4298 Adhesion Promoter

Not only does the 3M product work on the bed liner, but it is very good for adhering to plastics.

For the tailgate I ran velcro around the sides and top after applying the promoter. Not a fan of double sided tape on the tailgate as you may need to at some point in the future remove the mat for whatever reason. Also the tape will get dirt and debri in it and you’ll need to replace it sooner than later.

You are going to have to fasten the hook or loop part of the velcro to the back of the mat, if it does not have anything attached.

Are you going to add a tonneau cover? If so, You will need to take into consideration the thickness added to the inside of the tailgate when mounting the rails. Just an FYI.

classicn

Reaction score
I bought a universal (5x8?) Bedrug mat that I'm going to cut down to size for my Rambox bed. I'll have enough left over for the tailgate as well. Since this is just the universal mat, there are no sticky portions on it.

What would you guys recommend using to adhere it to the tailgate? Double sided tape? I have the spray-in liner.
Hi

Hi Zinger,
I just had a custom made bed rug made for my ivory Limited w/ Ramboxes.
The Custom upholstery shop velcroed the rug in on bed, sides, & tailgate. Here are a couple pics

Attachments

• C903AA3C-3E21-432A-8AD6-29E19EE491E2.jpeg
    C903AA3C-3E21-432A-8AD6-29E19EE491E2.jpeg
    2 MB · Views: 66
  • 07FF74C7-C142-4E54-B00A-B93402F9ED92.jpeg
    07FF74C7-C142-4E54-B00A-B93402F9ED92.jpeg
    2.9 MB · Views: 64

crazygreek89

Reaction score
I would use this video as a guide for your universal BedRug:

Because I also installed a tonneau cover, I didn’t use a strip across the bulkhead and instead used it on the sides near the tailgate and I have a much better looking finish when you drop the gate.

Users who are viewing this thread