5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Bedrug and cold bed

ekaz

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I wanted to install the bedrug and instructions say for the bed to be at least 68 degrees for max adhesion. It hasn't been and won't be that warm until next year around here. Any suggestions? My thought it to use a heat gun where the velcro needs to stick but not sure if anyone has any other tricks to get it to stick.

ricktara

Reaction score
I wanted to install the bedrug and instructions say for the bed to be at least 68 degrees for max adhesion. It hasn't been and won't be that warm until next year around here. Any suggestions? My thought it to use a heat gun where the velcro needs to stick but not sure if anyone has any other tricks to get it to stick.
I think it’s more about moisture. I would park truck in the sun and make sure it’s good and dry. I have one in my 2019 and it’s awesome

c3k

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Park it such that the bed is aligned with, and fully exposed to, the sun.

Worst case, use a heat gun on the particular part of the bed you're about to lay down the velcro. (My Bed Rug, which I -love-, only has two velcro strips, about 2' long, holding it down. Works great.)

After warming it up, use the cleaner/adhesive promoter, lay down the velcro, then apply a little more heat. Then move on to the next one...

Last edited:

Shots

Ram Guru
Reaction score
c3k has a pretty good plan for heat there. That should work.

And like the others, I absolutely love my BedRug. Ever since my first one 2-3 trucks ago I haven't had anything different.

ekaz

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Thanks guys, I think the heat gun route might be my only option. Chicago is on the cold side of the sun for the next 6,000 months LOL and I'm not waiting to install the bed rug or the retrax cover.

Reactions: c3k

Shots

Ram Guru
Reaction score
LOL I'm right there with you. Maybe we'll see temps at 68° and above around April. I wouldn't wait till then to install them either.

You should be fine with the heat gun. Don't go crazy, the surface doesn't need to be hot. Realistically, I don't think the velcro has too much work to do. They fit really well so I don't think air can get under it to well to lift it out. I think the velcro is more of a way to keep them flat to the floor, and tight to the side rather than from it lifting out. If you have cargo rails you could probably skip it all together except the tailgate. That probably needs it to stay in place since it's just a flat panel.

ekaz

Ram Guru
Reaction score
LOL I'm right there with you. Maybe we'll see temps at 68° and above around April. I wouldn't wait till then to install them either.

You should be fine with the heat gun. Don't go crazy, the surface doesn't need to be hot. Realistically, I don't think the velcro has too much work to do. They fit really well so I don't think air can get under it to well to lift it out. I think the velcro is more of a way to keep them flat to the floor, and tight to the side rather than from it lifting out. If you have cargo rails you could probably skip it all together except the tailgate. That probably needs it to stay in place since it's just a flat panel.
I would agree from the videos I've seen as well. Between the cargo rails and bed cover I don't see how it could fly out. As for the tailgate, I have the MFT, so had to cut that into pieces and those will be mounted separately

ferraiolo1

Spends too much time on here
Reaction score
You can buy 3m adhesion promoter wipes. That along with using a heat gun in the sections where the Velcro goes should help.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Andymax

5thGenRams Supporter
Site Supporter
Reaction score
I was in a similar spot back in March. Used the heat gun as I went...worked perfectly, no issues. Just follow the instructions otherwise. I did have adhesion issue with the tailgate portion where the rug attaches to the plastic channel near the top of the tailgate. Called BedRug and they immediately shipped replacement velcro, but with much better adhesive...no issues since. As the others do...I love my BedRug.

NorthStar

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Heat gun…not your wife or girlfriend or blow dryers from both as they don’t generate enough heat. You will need a heat gun…find any serious hockey player (they used them on their hockey sticks) and borrow one if you need to do so as you’ll be much happier with the adhesion.

ekaz

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Heat gun…not your wife or girlfriend or blow dryers from both as they don’t generate enough heat. You will need a heat gun…find any serious hockey player (they used them on their hockey sticks) and borrow one if you need to do so as you’ll be much happier with the adhesion.
I have a heat gun, learned that lesson long ago. If that doesn't work, I was thinking of just building a small fire. LOL

NorthStar

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I have a heat gun, learned that lesson long ago. If that doesn't work, I was thinking of just building a small fire. LOL
I actually saw that once growing up in Alaska. One of the military guys stationed up there was our neighbor, took his wife's baking sheet, piled charcoal on it, lit it and slid it under the engine to warm it up as it did not have a block heater. About fifteen minutes later that 318 was a glowing fire under the hood as it had melted every rubber hose on the engine and proceeded to burn it to the ground. Careful now...if I gave you any ideas! ;)

ekaz

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I actually saw that once growing up in Alaska. One of the military guys stationed up there was our neighbor, took his wife's baking sheet, piled charcoal on it, lit it and slid it under the engine to warm it up as it did not have a block heater. About fifteen minutes later that 318 was a glowing fire under the hood as it had melted every rubber hose on the engine and proceeded to burn it to the ground. Careful now...if I gave you any ideas! ;)
"Honey...where do you keep the baking sheets?" I have an idea!

NorthStar

Ram Guru
Reaction score
"Honey...where do you keep the baking sheets?" I have an idea!
Well, clearly that fella moved to Wisconsin once his tour of duty was up in Alaska:

And Outdoor Life actually had to publish it to remind hunters not to try the stunt:

Users who are viewing this thread