5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Bedliner over old Undercoating

JCR1500

Reaction score
Hi Everyone. Need your opinion. My truck did not come bedlined. I had recently repainted the brackets for my running boards with Rustoleum Undercoating and they look great. I had a new can and applied it to my tailgate last weekend and it looks great and all but I think I used the wrong product. It has a rubbery feel to it and I don't think it was the right choice. My question is does anyone know if I can go right over that undercoating with bedliner like Herculiner? I'm doing this myself and leaning towards Herculiner because its roll on and not much mess and prep time besides the sanding. I don't do a lot of hard hauling like concrete blocks or stuff but want to protect my bed and this is alot cheaper then Line-X.

Thanks guys.

bigdodge

Happy Ram Owner
Reaction score
Hi Everyone. Need your opinion. My truck did not come bedlined. I had recently repainted the brackets for my running boards with Rustoleum Undercoating and they look great. I had a new can and applied it to my tailgate last weekend and it looks great and all but I think I used the wrong product. It has a rubbery feel to it and I don't think it was the right choice. My question is does anyone know if I can go right over that undercoating with bedliner like Herculiner? I'm doing this myself and leaning towards Herculiner because its roll on and not much mess and prep time besides the sanding. I don't do a lot of hard hauling like concrete blocks or stuff but want to protect my bed and this is alot cheaper then Line-X.

Thanks guys.
pictures please

23RAM

Reaction score
Did you prep the tailgate before applying the undercoat material? If so, you can probably get away with it.
If not, I expect the undercoat will start to lift or peel with use so the liner would also peel.

JCR1500

Reaction score
Did you prep the tailgate before applying the undercoat material? If so, you can probably get away with it.
If not, I expect the undercoat will start to lift or peel with use so the liner would also peel.
Yeah I scuffed up the clearcoat then cleaned with acetone before painting

1BADRAMLIMITED

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I think with light hauling you are fine. Maybe use an adhesion promoter and scuff up the undercoating a bit.

Users who are viewing this thread