5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Bed Winch

myfast3rdgen

Reaction score
Looking to have a bed winch for loading & unloading toys or equipment from the bed. I don't always have access to an extra hand and trailer stickers here in IL are mind-blowing.

I have rambox with the cargo management system so I'm thinking I could get a rail (load bar?) that I could make some modification and add a winch too but I can not find any sort of load bard that mounts to the cargo management bars.

In short:
1) Is there a drop in purchase that's not permeant (drilling holes)
2) If not, is there a load bar that works with the cargo management bars?

Any insight or suggestions would be much appreciated.

LaxDfns15

Ram Guru
Reaction score
As far as trying to mount something to the cargo bars on the side of the truck. I'm pretty sure the max load on those is 100 pounds 90 degrees from the bar. Shear load might be a little higher, but I'd be really hesitant to try to winch something like an ATV into the bed using those as mounting points.

PurpleRT

Ram Guru
Reaction score
As far as trying to mount something to the cargo bars on the side of the truck. I'm pretty sure the max load on those is 100 pounds 90 degrees from the bar. Shear load might be a little higher, but I'd be really hesitant to try to winch something like an ATV into the bed using those as mounting points.

This.

Better mount to the bed.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

myfast3rdgen

Reaction score
Probably nothing that heavy. I'm talking about lawn mower or a snow blower.

In the extreme case the rail that would extend to both sides of the rail management system would have forces that would cancel each other out, till the center rail bent or snapped. No way it'd pull 1,000s of pounds but it'd be able to handle <500 which would be enough for your typically lawn or rental equipment.

At this point i'm just looking for a channel that I could cut to length if I needed too.

Eighty

Moderator / Dream Killer
Staff member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Why not use a winch (or come-along) with a pulley in the middle? Basically making it a 2-part line running from your forward tie-down cleats?

This is a crude sketch, from a picture I pulled from the internet.

1664551384062.png

myfast3rdgen

Reaction score
Why not use a winch (or come-along) with a pulley in the middle? Basically making it a 2-part line running from your forward tie-down cleats?

This is a crude sketch, from a picture I pulled from the internet.

View attachment 140142
hmmm.... that's not a bad idea at all. Pretty easy to setup and take down too.
You could actually add an extra pulley at the top left and add a winch to the button right and have it pull that way too.

Thank you for the idea 🙏

Eighty

Moderator / Dream Killer
Staff member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
hmmm.... that's not a bad idea at all. Pretty easy to setup and take down too.
You could actually add an extra pulley at the top left and add a winch to the button right and have it pull that way too.

Thank you for the idea 🙏
If I was doing this in my truck, I'd take an extra precaution. I'd add a rigid strut between the tiedown eyes, that fits tightly between the bedsides. The strut would be on the forward side, and would clamp/bolt onto the tiedowns. The attachment to the winch would be from eyebolts attached to the strut - as close as possible to the ends. This would serve a couple of purposes:
  • Eliminate any inward-pull on the bedsides (due to the tension on the 2-part line)
  • Prevent the tiedown loops from bending (by putting them in shear)

Threesuns1

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I picked up something like this at a flea market a couple years ago cheap. My thought is to make an offset bracket from 2" square tubing that mounts in the trailer hitch and a foot that rests on ground below where I would mount the hoist.

1664561697844.png

Jbenevides89

Reaction score
I actually want to do something similar with a bar across the back of the bed and an eye bolt in the center to pull my ATV up with its own winch. my ramps are high and in the woods it is sketchy loading. I have thought about making something that slips in the forward bed stake pockets but I don't think they will be sturdy enough to support any real pressure.

kapinallinen2

5thGenRams Supporter
Site Supporter
Reaction score
I cooked up this for putting my RTT rack and the tent up on the bed, no offset needed for my application.
Only lifting 200 lbs or so, the leverages get nasty real quick...

Attachments

• IMGP9002 1600.jpg
    IMGP9002 1600.jpg
    144.7 KB · Views: 40

ratchet74

Reaction score
Bought a Harbor freight winch - mounted to a couple 2x6's (through bolted with counter sunk nuts into bottom board) - Then I put supports up to the rails to stop this from torqueing up. Was solid as a rock. With the keychain remote, I have put a couple ramps up on the gate, and loaded all kinds of stuff, including an oder snowmobile and pulled on trees to controll the fall when cutting them......... Worked like a charm in my 19 north edition. When I got my 21, there were no trucks available when I leased with a spray in liner, so I went with a bedrug - fully covering the floor & the sides.

When I transferred it to the 21, I had to slightly shorten it a few blade widths on the saw because of the bedrug going up the sides.. Also, with no cargo rails, if I am concerned about movement, I just push a screwdriver / socket through the cardo tie downs on the floor so it cannot lift. I have this in there reallt snug to the bedliner, & have to tap it down with a mallet to fully seat it. Onlce again, solid as can be. Here were some pics in my 19, 21 is similar. This is through bolted to the wood with countesunk heads. I was going to paint the wood black, and wire it in directly, but I simply toss a battery in the back when I need to use it.

Total cost ~ $100

Here were some in process pics I had on my phone.

Had a short vide of it working but can't seem to opload it. IMG_20201227_145006121.jpg IMG_20201227_145830258.jpg Screenshot_20221125-013110.png Screenshot_20221125-013119~2.png IMG_20201228_165139448_HDR.jpg

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread