5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Bed Utility Rails mounting point question

JCR1500

Reaction score
Does anyone know if the brackets on the bed utility rails are screwed onto the rails themselves so that they can be moved around or at they riveted? I cannot tell from the pictures I've seen and haven't seen one in person yet. The reason being is I have a 6'4" bed and there is a member that has a set for sale but for a 5' 6" bed so I want make sure I can move the mounts around to fit my bed. The reason I would want this is that I have a Peragon touneau cover and I think the short rails would fit better.

Thanks.

dts828

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Does anyone know if the brackets on the bed utility rails are screwed onto the rails themselves so that they can be moved around or at they riveted? I cannot tell from the pictures I've seen and haven't seen one in person yet. The reason being is I have a 6'4" bed and there is a member that has a set for sale but for a 5' 6" bed so I want make sure I can move the mounts around to fit my bed. The reason I would want this is that I have a Peragon touneau cover and I think the short rails would fit better.

Thanks.
The cargo hooks that come on the rails are able to slide and be removed completely. Just loosen the the knob, push in and slide.

Sent from my GM1917 using Tapatalk

Derlant1983

Reaction score
I don’t believe the 5’7” rails fit the 6 ft bed. Check mopar’s website I thought there was 2 different part numbers

JCR1500

Reaction score
I know there are 2 different lengths and I'm not talking about the cargo hooks. I'm talking about the brackets that mount the rail to the bed. Can those bracket be unbolted from the rail and move to different points along the rail. I don't think the spacing of the mounting holes in a 5' bed are the same as a 6' bed. Just trying to see if I can spend $140 instead of $300.

mikeru82

Legendary member
Reaction score
I know there are 2 different lengths and I'm not talking about the cargo hooks. I'm talking about the brackets that mount the rail to the bed. Can those bracket be unbolted from the rail and move to different points along the rail. I don't think the spacing of the mounting holes in a 5' bed are the same as a 6' bed. Just trying to see if I can spend $140 instead of $300.
Please provide a picture of what you've asking about. There are no brackets used to mount the rails to the bed on my truck. Bolts are used to secure the rails to the bed sides.

Jako

Spends too much time on here
Reaction score
I have the 5' 7" bed rails. The mounting points are attached to the rails in addition there is a stud on the rails that line up with a hole on the bed. This helps with lining up the rail bracket holes to the truck bed holes.

There are 4 mounting points, starting from the cab:
10 1/4" 1st to 2nd bracket
32 1/4" 1st to 3rd bracket
54" 1st to last bracket
not 100% on the money but measurements are close

Last edited:

JCR1500

Reaction score
Hi Jako. I've seen the stud you talk about on the mounting brackets. Do you know if you can disconnect the mounting bracket from the rail itself so you can move the brackets around? I cannot tell from the pictures I've seen if it is a bolt or a rivet.

I have a 6' bed and a guy in Massachusetts has a set for a 5' bed for sale cheap and I want to see if I can modify his to fit my bed.

Thanks.

Jako

Spends too much time on here
Reaction score
Hi Jako. I've seen the stud you talk about on the mounting brackets. Do you know if you can disconnect the mounting bracket from the rail itself so you can move the brackets around? I cannot tell from the pictures I've seen if it is a bolt or a rivet.

I have a 6' bed and a guy in Massachusetts has a set for a 5' bed for sale cheap and I want to see if I can modify his to fit my bed.

Thanks.
I was able to turn loose a Torx 25 head screw on the inside of the rail at the mounting point, so it appears you may be in luck. Why not ask the seller if he can disconnect the brackets?

Mike C.

Reaction score
I would be curious to know this information too. If the mounting brackets could be removed from the rails and mounted to truck, then make your own rails. Would also like to know the material the Rivnuts are made of from the factory, Plain Steel, Aluminum, or Stainless?
Thanks
Mike

mikeru82

Legendary member
Reaction score
So I just realized that you guys are talking about the utility rails on the non-rambox beds. Sorry, my bad. I mistakenly thought you were talking about the rambox bed rails. I've never seen the non-rambox utility rails, and it sounds like they are quite a bit different.

kapinallinen2

5thGenRams Supporter
Site Supporter
Reaction score

Thanks.
The rails can be unscrewed from the brackets.
If the bracket locations do not line up with your truck, then you have to drill new holes in the rails, pretty straight forward.

Users who are viewing this thread