5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Bed Utility Rail System

Gearwhine

Reaction score
Anyone used this tool to install the 16 nutserts for the OEM bed rails? If not, could it be done with just using a hammer?

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B...2f5-9ae91aab54f2&pf_rd_r=SCBQ6M7EXHVJ49Y1Y5KM

The nutserts supplied with the bed rail can be installed with only a wrench/ratchet. As they are hex shapes going into a hex hole, they are held from spinning. The directions even say just to tighten them down to a certain torque, remove the bolt, install the rails, and then tighten about 2-3 N/m more.

with that said...I used this tool, and it took about 10 seconds per nutsert.

YoAdrian

Staff member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
I believe it does, but I'm making a DIY out of SuperStrut
@RichT that sounds awesome, did it come together ok? Any chance you might post your parts list, procedure, and take some pictures of your install?(y)

RichT

Reaction score
I havent spent any time on it yet, but after a quick look, I realize why they use those standoffs to connect the rail to the bed. Due to the contour of the bed, that was the only way to get them extended the full length.

My plan is to not extend them full length and snug them up to the bed. Since there are two holes for the mount bracket they use, I was planning to run two rails on each side and connect them together with a bracket for stability. That way I can attach something like a small toolbox without having it flex since I would be able to have it secured with two top and bottom bolts.

...one of these days

RichT

Reaction score
Topper came in so finally did my bedrug and DIY rails. Like the way it all worked out.

The bottom rail hits the wheel well, so had to use some spacers to bring them out about 1/2". I used superstrut washers which works perfect and give a nice solid base. Bugrug was super wrinkled in one spot, but it will settle. Hardest part was getting the holes in the bedrug for the rails in the right spot.

$40 for the strut, ~$20 for bolts and stuff, ~$10 nutserts

deanfx

Reaction score
I finally got around to installing the utility rails. I had a heck of a time working around the bed liner, tool box, and step handle. But I like them a lot. Definitely worth the time it took.

jking13

Reaction score
Topper came in so finally did my bedrug and DIY rails. Like the way it all worked out.

The bottom rail hits the wheel well, so had to use some spacers to bring them out about 1/2". I used superstrut washers which works perfect and give a nice solid base. Bugrug was super wrinkled in one spot, but it will settle. Hardest part was getting the holes in the bedrug for the rails in the right spot.

$40 for the strut, ~$20 for bolts and stuff, ~$10 nutserts

View attachment 22524

View attachment 22525

View attachment 22526

View attachment 22523
Looks great, I plan on doing the same thing. To clarify, you used rivnuts through the existing bed holes? what size did you end up using? Do you have a spray in bedliner under your rug?

RichT

Reaction score
Thanks. Yes on the rivnuts. I believe it was an M6 hex. No spray in under the bedrug, didn't want to burn the ~70 lbs of payload for it.

Scrambler

Reaction score
I purchased the bedrail system for my 2019 Ram and ruined some of the 6mm rivet nuts. Can anyone on the forum give me the Mopar p/n to order a new package of rivet nuts?

deanfx

Reaction score
I purchased the bedrail system for my 2019 Ram and ruined some of the 6mm rivet nuts. Can anyone on the forum give me the Mopar p/n to order a new package of rivet nuts?
I don't know the part number, but if you're using a nut tool you can use regular 6mm rivuts. I had to use some.

Dragon_RAM

Reaction score
Thanks. Yes on the rivnuts. I believe it was an M6 hex. No spray in under the bedrug, didn't want to burn the ~70 lbs of payload for it.
RichT - I know this post is a bit old but do you have a write up on using unistrut as a bed rail system? I put one in my Tundra and loved it, but it had a nice setup of ore-threaded holes all around the bed. The 2500 6.4’ bed doesn’t seem to have that convenience...

Users who are viewing this thread