5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Bed Utility Group - Worth it?

dannydyn

Reaction score
Any consensus thoughts about the BUG? pros? cons? worth it? aftermarket alternatives?

Mechaero19

Reaction score
I live in NY, and I just got a 2019 Ram Laramie. First truck I've owned. I guess is comes down to personal preference. I saw it as a deal breaker because I prefer a car/truck worth the money I'm about to pay the dealer/banks. I had four dealerships competing with prices, then the dealer that got my sale had a Laramie with sports appearance, with BUG, and some other add ons (that other dealer trucks didn't have). I prefer the BUG

Jako

Spends too much time on here
Reaction score
Any consensus thoughts about the BUG? pros? cons? worth it? aftermarket alternatives?
I purchased the bed rails later and I am thinking of line-x. For the cost of the two I could of had the BUG included in my build and I would have had the bed lights. BUT I may go with the Bed Rug which would reduce the cost. I have owned a tonneau covered truck for 18 years and never really needed bed lighting or line-x. I have used a folded over pool cover (3/4 flips) for removing 30+ truck loads of dirt along with transporting gravel in recent years. My bed still looks great for an 18 year old truck. For those constantly in their bed it may be a bigger plus.

There is also an issue with installing the bed rails and line x later, along with the bed light plugs not fitting or getting covered over by the line x.

I would say the BUG is priced fair for what you get and does not require you to upgrade later. If $$ is not an issue I don't think you would have regrets. It also may be a plus in trade or resale down the road. I did not really explore the package prior to ordering (salesman did not explain either) and kind of assumed I could do better on my own. I do not know how Ram warranties the bed liner where line x you can now go to any dealer for warranty work IF needed.

I've had the bed rails for 2 months now and waiting for weather or need to install (additional tie down points for motorcycle transport). Who knows how long it will be :)!

Hope this helps.

dannydyn

Reaction score
Thanks for the input. I have not seen a BUG in person, but from picture online, it seems it takes a bit of the wight space in the bed, no?

Granite5thgen

Reaction score
I love my bug, the lights on a switch are bright too. It's nice having movable tie down points along the sides. I wouldnt say it takes up much space either

Drewsky510

Reaction score
One of the things I would change in my truck is that I wish I would have got one with the BUG! Worth the money for sure.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Ram1500OwnerMaybe

Reaction score
I have it in my non-Ram truck.
Although I don't use it often, when I have needed it, it sure was a blessing.
I plan to ensure my next truck (Ram or not) has it.

ClancyO

Reaction score
Had the bed rail system in the Titan I just traded for the Ram. Loved it and used it often. Getting a spray in liner tomorrow and will order and install the rails when it starts warming up. I haven’t seen the rails on the Ram (dealer had none!) but expect they’ll be close to the same... One of the coolest things about the Nissan system was that unistrut cone nuts fit perfectly. Bicycle mounts, fishing rod, bed cover hinges - all could be added/removed/repositioned at will.

SP97

Reaction score
I went back and forth on this myself. I decided to not get it for a few reasons. Without the Rambox you don't get the bed divider. I have a rail system from my last truck that works great so I will swap that over. I've never had a bedliner and can say I have never had any regret about that decision (I can here the gasps now). A bed mat works for me. That really only left the bed lights and I like the LED strip lights that mount under the rails better than the ones that come in the package. I also added a AMP Bed Xtender.

Just my $0.02

Users who are viewing this thread