5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Bed Utility Group Rails and Tonneaus

Coolhand74

Reaction score
Hi all...
I'm a long-time RAM owner, but just stepped into a new-to-me 2019 Big Horn Sport that has the Bed Utility Group (BUG) and the soft OEM tri-fold tonneau (cover is listed on the window sticker...it wasn't an add-on after delivery). I've done some searching but haven't found anything definitive on this yet, and I'm hoping someone can shed some light for me. I've seen it mentioned that adding a tonneau cover requires changing the black factory bed tiedown rails to the silver version. Is this true on trucks that came with the factory soft tri-fold tonneau as well, or do they come with the relocated rails already? I don't have any fellow owners in my area that I can compare with.
The reason I ask is that I'd like to replace the factory tonneau with a hard-fold, most likely a BAK. Will I need to get the silver/relocated rails to run a BAK? The clamps for the factory tonneau fit above the rails...no interference.

Thanks in advance for any feedback!

BNeal

Reaction score
Not sure if this helps, but mine came with the silver already in place, and the BakFlip sits right on top of it.

1622820902530.png
1622821072398.png

mikeru82

Legendary member
Reaction score
If you have the Rambox option you'll need the silver rails for almost all aftermarket bed covers.

scottmoyer

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Is there a difference in the rails for the conventional bed?

834k3r

Reaction score
Not sure if this helps, but mine came with the silver already in place, and the BakFlip sits right on top of it.
OT, but where did you get your bed divider?

834k3r

Reaction score
Sorry, I have no idea.

The bed divider comes with the Bed Utility Group. You can buy them separately from your dealership (expensive), or maybe someone would sell you a used one.
Sounds like I'll be visiting my dealer's parts department; I've got the BUG, but don't have (and never have had) the dividers.

mikeru82

Legendary member
Reaction score
Sounds like I'll be visiting my dealer's parts department; I've got the BUG, but don't have (and never have had) the dividers.
Just to be clear, I'm only talking about the rambox bed divider. And that doesn't work in a non-rambox bed.

BNeal

Reaction score
Sorry, I have no idea.

The bed divider comes with the Bed Utility Group. You can buy them separately from your dealership (expensive), or maybe someone would sell you a used one.
Based on your sig, you have Ram Boxes and BUG - you should have gotten the divider.

Howie Dub

Reaction score
I'm in the same boat where I'm looking to replace the factory soft tonneau cover. For almost all aftermarket hard tonneau covers, you will need to replace the black rails you have with the silver ones. I saw in another thread that the only tonneau covers that will work with the black rails are diamondback covers.com and the Roll Cover at truckcoversusa.com. I didn't like the look of the Diamondback ones. I called Truck Covers USA and they said as long as the rails are factory Mopar rails, their Roll Cover will work. Looking online, it might be more cost effective to just replace the rails and get the cover you want. The Roll Cover by itself is $2,150. Add the Yakima tracks and cargo bars and the price is almost $3,100. The cheapest compatible Diamondback is $1,700 for the SE and $2,100 for the HD. Here's a sheet from Retrax showing the bedrails that will work.

Rambox Cargo Rails Compatibility.jpg

HMC8403

Reaction score
I just went through a tonneau install that required replacing the black rails with silver. The silver rail have a upside-down "T-Slot" on the top, most covers come with a rail that slides into the slot and acts like a resting platform for the cover. Side Note: After reading that some have experienced water leaks from their cover, I ran a bead of silicone caulk on the silver rail before mounting it. No idea it it will help but cheap enough that it can hurt.

Attachments

• IMG_1680.JPG
    IMG_1680.JPG
    109.9 KB · Views: 41
  • IMG_1677.JPG
    IMG_1677.JPG
    163.8 KB · Views: 40
  • IMG_1676.JPG
    IMG_1676.JPG
    135.6 KB · Views: 40

834k3r

Reaction score
Just to be clear, I'm only talking about the rambox bed divider. And that doesn't work in a non-rambox bed.
Yep, I figured that out yesterday. I don’t have the Ram Boxes, so no divider for me. Still want them, though.

Coolhand74

Reaction score
Thanks everyone for your responses. It just seems strange to me that the tonneau covers require rails when they aren't a standard item on the trucks to begin with. The RAMBOX installation I understand; my 2013 had the rambox bed configuration and needed the rails because there was no lip to clamp on. But a conventional bed should be a lot more straightforward...unless I'm misunderstanding something, which wouldn't be out of the ordinary! Are the rails needed for the tonneau cover on a non-rambox bed, or do they just interfere with the mounting components? I rarely used the rail tiedows on my 2013 anyway...I'd rather just take them out if I don't need them...

Coolhand74

Reaction score
I just went through a tonneau install that required replacing the black rails with silver. The silver rail have a upside-down "T-Slot" on the top, most covers come with a rail that slides into the slot and acts like a resting platform for the cover. Side Note: After reading that some have experienced water leaks from their cover, I ran a bead of silicone caulk on the silver rail before mounting it. No idea it it will help but cheap enough that it can hurt.
I can't tell from the pictures, but the instructions look like you're mounting on a rambox bed...is yours a rambox? My 2013 had the rambox, and my Bakflip mounted the same way; there was a gasket on the top of the aluminum rail and the cover sat on top of that. I guess it just seems strange to require a specific non-standard rail for a tonneau installation when the rails are part of a specific option package to begin with. If you didn't get the bed utility group do you still have to buy and mount the silver rails to install the cover?

HMC8403

Reaction score
I do have the RamBox and BUG so had to order the silver rails. The only reason I ordered the BUG is because I like the bed liner, divider, light and step. I too couldn't understand why they couldn't make a cover that works with the black rails; but after installing the new cover, I understand.

captainzombie

Reaction score
I am looking to order the Bak MX4. My Laramie has the black BUG, but I do not have the ramboxes on my truck. Will I have any issues with the install? Really hoping I don't need to change these out for the Silver ones.

Dragonmaster13

Reaction score
I am looking to order the Bak MX4. My Laramie has the black BUG, but I do not have the ramboxes on my truck. Will I have any issues with the install? Really hoping I don't need to change these out for the Silver ones.

Without ram box it’s a standard clamp on the bed rail, the bug rails don’t interfere.

Users who are viewing this thread