5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Bed Stiffeners?

boogielander

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Hello,
I've searched far and wide and couldn't find bed stiffeners/ brackets for the DT platform. Does anyone have any lead or who I can get in contact with to get these made?

For your info, based on my understanding and experiences:

What are bed stiffeners?
Bed stiffeners are basically brackets that you install on your beds to hold the bed together to prevent it coming apart.

Why are these needed?
For people who overland, especially with installation of bed racks, roof tents, and other gears strapped to the bed rack, it is often to see over 200lbs of weight pushing down on the side of the bed. With off road driving going over rough terrains, the bed tent to flex due to the design of the truck. That is true across all platforms regardless of make and model. The bed will flex, and with the flexing force comes with the risk of bed side disintegrating, especially at the rear where the tailgates are. This is because bed designs are not box shaped, but rather C shaped. As seen from various applications (ie: Toyota Tacoma C-frames), C shapes are not as sturdy as boxed shape and will break easily when excessive forces are applied.
Bed stiffeners are needed to help reduce the stress that end of C-shaped bed experience, and to help hold the bed together better. It is like closing off the C to a box, but without fully closing the C.

Is this really an issue?
For Ram trucks, or basically any other truck that don't use composite bed (looking at yota Tacomas), bed splitting is not really an issue, even with offroad use. However, because my build's goal is to go fast in the desert and desert terrains can be rough, bed splitting could be an issue for my application. Especially I have a 95lb bed rack bolted to the bed side, and a RTT that weights about 87lbs sitting on top. I've noticed that going over bumpy sections while on trail that the bed flexes, which leads to the bed rack and RTT shaking at a greater magnitude. My fear is that eventually that would lead to splitting of the bed due to the left and right movement from shaking.
And I'm not the only one out there who has bed rack and roof tent on their DT bed, so I feel if I want to address this issue, there are people out there looking to address this issue as well.

So, if anyone has any lead, please let me know!
IMG_2044.jpg
PFA

boogielander

Ram Guru
Reaction score
How about an easily removable cross brace low on the rack to support your setup when running and removed when chilling?
Im not 100% sure what you mean so I'm gonna guess that you mean like a X-brace on the lower side of the bed rack?

Threesuns1

Reaction score
A X cross brace would be stronger but a single brace low on the bed rack would support the bed sides from moving in and out. With a x cross brace you may be able to leave it in place because it would leave the center pretty much open. A x cross brace would stiffen up the rack itself if needed, front and rear. Just brainstorming here, I have no experience with overlanding, but it sounds pretty cool.

boogielander

Ram Guru
Reaction score
A X cross brace would be stronger but a single brace low on the bed rack would support the bed sides from moving in and out. With a x cross brace you may be able to leave it in place because it would leave the center pretty much open. A x cross brace would stiffen up the rack itself if needed, front and rear. Just brainstorming here, I have no experience with overlanding, but it sounds pretty cool.
great idea. that is something definitely worth looking into! But one concern is that eventually I will be loading up the bed as well. I have a Decked drawer system so my vertical space is limited lol

Ruger

Reaction score
great idea. that is something definitely worth looking into! But one concern is that eventually I will be loading up the bed as well. I have a Decked drawer system so my vertical space is limited lol
I had bed stiffeners on my Tacoma. You might want to reach out to one of those companies that make it for Tacoma. They might have something in the works for Ram or be willing to make one.

jent

Reaction score
The split tailgate equipped trucks come with a factory stiffner. I don't know if it would address the stresses you're worried about. I haven't seen any aftermarket stiffners myself.

boogielander

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I had bed stiffeners on my Tacoma. You might want to reach out to one of those companies that make it for Tacoma. They might have something in the works for Ram or be willing to make one.
thought about that too. which company did you go with? I came from 4R and I know there are lots of options lol

boogielander

Ram Guru
Reaction score
The split tailgate equipped trucks come with a factory stiffner. I don't know if it would address the stresses you're worried about. I haven't seen any aftermarket stiffners myself.
oh they do? didn't know that. let me see if i can look up part number!

Belvedere

Ram Guru
Reaction score
My bed rack for now is just two pieces of unistrut laid on top the rails. I made some L brackets that attach them to my accessory rails. If you don't have rails you could just C clamp to the bed rails.

wegasque

Ram Guru
Reaction score

wegasque

Ram Guru
Reaction score
The Right-on brackets are for up by the cab, so doesn't really match your concern. But maybe SHifts or Right-on or even Vice can make a bracket for you. It could be worth a call to reach out and see if they can do what you want. My $0.02 FWIW

boogielander

Ram Guru
Reaction score
You might think about checking with @Shifts And Grins Fab can fab something up for you. Otherwise, check the right-on brackets (5th Gen RAM Truck Bed Replacement Brackets | Install A Tonneau Cover) that are made for those of us with factory brackets due to the MFT.
Hmm i think im gonna try the factory brackets first to see how much they are. I like the design in which they make a little triangle for strength. If you have yours off can you let me know the part number?

boogielander

Ram Guru
Reaction score
The Right-on brackets are for up by the cab, so doesn't really match your concern. But maybe SHifts or Right-on or even Vice can make a bracket for you. It could be worth a call to reach out and see if they can do what you want. My $0.02 FWIW
shifts said they'll get to it when they can lol he's pretty much backed up with all the projects.
I'd wait for him but it's desert season and my team and I have quite a few trips coming up so need a solution asap

wegasque

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Hmm i think im gonna try the factory brackets first to see how much they are. I like the design in which they make a little triangle for strength. If you have yours off can you let me know the part number?
I'm sorry, I don't have mine off. I bought a Diamondback cover so I was able to leave mine on. I thought I saw some in the Buy/Sell forum but now I can't find them to see if there's a part # shown.

boogielander

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I'm sorry, I don't have mine off. I bought a Diamondback cover so I was able to leave mine on. I thought I saw some in the Buy/Sell forum but now I can't find them to see if there's a part # shown.
all good thank you very much for the help anyways. I'll see if I can find a part number for it

Belvedere

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Thought I remembered seeing something when looking at tonneau covers.

I don't have the MFT, but these brackets are designed to replace those brackets are on the front of the bed, but don't have the cross bar to get in the way of some covers.

boogielander

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Thought I remembered seeing something when looking at tonneau covers.

I don't have the MFT, but these brackets are designed to replace those brackets are on the front of the bed, but don't have the cross bar to get in the way of some covers.

someone recommended that above but i like the OE's design with the bar to strengthen the bracket. I'm currently attempting to see if i can find the same ones on MFTs

Azsmc

Reaction score
Heres a pic of the part numbers on my factory brackets. Just had them available.

Attachments

• 008756EF-31BD-4F6C-AF83-A194A1D03E9A.jpeg
    008756EF-31BD-4F6C-AF83-A194A1D03E9A.jpeg
    214.4 KB · Views: 39

Users who are viewing this thread