5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Bed Step Safety Issue

Wakesnowb

Reaction score
Hi Guys, I have the Mopar bed step that comes out from the corner underneath the bumper. I love the step in general but notice it is pretty scary stepping on it if the truck is slightly at an angle. Not even a big slope but just a slight one. My driveway is slightly sloped and if I step on the bed step like normal I have had it swing in closed on me while standing on it! Anyone else experience this? Wish it was more bullet proof when the truck is not 100% flat. Just a warning out there for you guys with this step. Be careful.

Tred

Reaction score
Thanks for the warning. I will be aware of the possibility of this issue.

vincentw56

Spends too much time on here
Reaction score
No, not at all. My driveway slopes too.

Sent from my SM-G988U using Tapatalk

Vinnie.

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I'm assuming we're talking about if the truck is facing the bottom of the slope? (i.e. backed into a driveway that slopes down towards the street)

just thought that might be an important distinction to make

Wakesnowb

Reaction score
I'm assuming we're talking about if the truck is facing the bottom of the slope? (i.e. backed into a driveway that slopes down towards the street)

just thought that might be an important distinction to make
I would say that is correct, when the front of the truck is toward the bottom of the slope.

Hrspwr88

Reaction score
Hi Guys, I have the Mopar bed step that comes out from the corner underneath the bumper. I love the step in general but notice it is pretty scary stepping on it if the truck is slightly at an angle. Not even a big slope but just a slight one. My driveway is slightly sloped and if I step on the bed step like normal I have had it swing in closed on me while standing on it! Anyone else experience this? Wish it was more bullet proof when the truck is not 100% flat. Just a warning out there for you guys with this step. Be careful.
Happened to me once, scared the **** out of me but I haven't figured out how I did it. Hasn't happened again since.

mikeru82

Legendary member
Reaction score
I've thought about that possibly happening while using it but so far I haven't had any issues with it. I also have only used it on level concrete. But I'll definitely keep it in mind. Thanks for sharing!

vincentw56

Reaction score
I think it would happen if you stepped on it while pushing forward since that's how it goes back. It is designed to have weight on it to keep it locked out.

Wakesnowb

Reaction score
I think it would happen if you stepped on it while pushing forward since that's how it goes back. It is designed to have weight on it to keep it locked out.

That is essentially what is happening when you are on a slight slope. I found that even though I have to give it a good kick when flat to get it to go back under the bumper, when I am on a slight slope I have had it swing back under on me while standing on it while consciously trying to not tilt my weight forward. It still went out from underneath me way too easy.

vincentw56

Reaction score
That is essentially what is happening when you are on a slight slope. I found that even though I have to give it a good kick when flat to get it to go back under the bumper, when I am on a slight slope I have had it swing back under on me while standing on it while consciously trying to not tilt my weight forward. It still went out from underneath me way too easy.
I've never had it happen on my sloped driveway, but I can see how it could.

jkm312

Reaction score
I had the step fold up on me once, put me on the ground without so much as a speck of dignity. Spent the day loading and unloading moving some stuff around. I got pretty quick at going in and out of the bed. I had placed my foot at the first lower pivot point and not on the very end of the step. Spun around to step up and it folded up. Moral of my story is slow down and pay attention.

Users who are viewing this thread