5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Bed Step: Mopar vs. AMP Research

Limo21

Reaction score
Hi,
I'm thinking adding a bed step to my 2021 Ram BigHorn 4x4. I also have the 2" Mopar lift kit on the truck. Since I didn't get the Bed Utility package when I ordered my truck, I now of come to the conclusion that a step to aid me in getting into the bed of my truck won't be such a bad idea. So, I'm asking who owns which one and what they think of the steps.
Thanks.

mikeru82

Legendary member
Reaction score
My previous truck didn't have a bed step. After a few weeks of owning it I realized I wanted one, so I did some research. The conclusion I came to was that the AMP step is plastic (actual step, not support bracketry), and can feel less than solid when using it. While the Mopar step is all metal. That was all I needed to make my decision, and went with the Mopar step. I never regretted it.

vincentw56

Spends too much time on here
Reaction score
I have the Mopar one and it is one of the best accessories added to the truck. It really helps and worth ever penny.

BilletMotoRam

Reaction score
I had the amp research on my 2500 for 6 years beat the snot out of the thing, wouldn’t hesitate to buy another one.

Blackoutram2019

Reaction score
I have the bugs (bed utility group) on my ram the mopar step has a great footprint and a nice spot to push it out with your foot. Game changer even on a stock suspension truck. I'm 26 and getting in the bed isn't hard but it makes it less work out of it.

Meadem

Reaction score
I have the amp research step, and it is plenty sturdy for my 200 lbs, the only thing that drive me slightly nuts is it doesn’t sit 100% level when retracted image.jpg
image.jpg image.jpg

Idahoktm

Spends too much time on here
Reaction score
I like how hidden the Mopar step is compared to the AMP step. Just a small tab sticking out to the side. That alone would be enough to sway me towards the Mopar step.

Andymax

5thGenRams Supporter
Site Supporter
Reaction score
I have the Mopar and LOVE it. Barely noticeable when stowed and sturdy as hell. The step pattern matches the "tread" on the plastic bumper trim, which is thoroughly unnecessary but is a really nice little touch.

BlueMoose

Reaction score
I went with Mopar because it is a lower profile when stowed and is sturdy enough for my needs.

Attachments

• 20210711_153354.jpg
    20210711_153354.jpg
    166.8 KB · Views: 94
  • 20210711_153333.jpg
    20210711_153333.jpg
    157.4 KB · Views: 93

BlueMoose

Reaction score
Like I said, depends on skill level and how fast you move and how many beers you had.
Maneuvering it into place can be tricky. Plus it's some tight quarters with the torque wrench. But all in all a simple process.

mcosub

Reaction score
Maneuvering it into place can be tricky. Plus it's some tight quarters with the torque wrench. But all in all a simple process.
Thanks. Going to source one this week and get it installed.

LakesAZ

Reaction score
I have the Mopar step and agree with the conclusion of others. It is sturdy and works great. It took me all of 15 minutes to install, so really easy.

mikeru82

Legendary member
Reaction score
Just a word on the installation of the Mopar step. If you have 5 inch aftermarket exhaust tips you'll probably need to remove the driver side to install this step. Or at least loosen it to get it out of the way.

Users who are viewing this thread