5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

BED STEP FOR SIDE OF TRUCK BED

frozenropes24

Reaction score
I would like to add a bed step to my truck but would much prefer it to be towards the front of the bed near the cab. I have more trouble reaching items there than anywhere else.
Does anyone know of a specific side step or will one of the standard steps like I have pictured be able to work in it's place?

Attachments

• step.jpg
    step.jpg
    168.4 KB · Views: 54

Rlaf75

Takes potshots
Reaction score
You could always put on longer running boards or you can use a long reach stick or bar of some kind to pull the stuff from the front of the bed to the tailgate

6of36

Spends too much time on here
Reaction score
I would like to add a bed step to my truck but would much prefer it to be towards the front of the bed near the cab. I have more trouble reaching items there than anywhere else.
Does anyone know of a specific side step or will one of the standard steps like I have pictured be able to work in it's place?
It would no doubt take some major modifications to make that work. Wheel to wheel running boards are to give a step from the side.

HemiDude

Reaction score
You could always put on longer running boards or you can use a long reach stick or bar of some kind to pull the stuff from the front of the bed to the tailgate
This. I had the wheel-to-wheel running boards on my last Ram and it was great being able to stand on the board right in front of the rear wheel to reach inside the bed

410DelmonicoSport

Reaction score
Check out Amp-Research, they make the exact product you are looking for. They have a deployable bed step that mounts near the cab and can be configured for either side, so you can buy just one, or get one for each side.

Belvedere

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Check out Amp-Research, they make the exact product you are looking for. They have a deployable bed step that mounts near the cab and can be configured for either side, so you can buy just one, or get one for each side.
Had no idea this existed. Just looked it up. Want one for each side now. Much better than the old-man grabber I keep in the bed...

Dewey

Reaction score
This. I had the wheel-to-wheel running boards on my last Ram and it was great being able to stand on the board right in front of the rear wheel to reach inside the bed
These days they’re more like wheel to back of cab. I can’t reach anything in the bed using my side steps.

FF39AE5A-9E3A-477A-B4A6-880AC36D6CFC.jpeg
4th Gens were true wheel to wheel but didn’t do me any good because I ran a topper.

6133DA24-73A7-4173-A4E0-3421E963C98B.jpeg

Last edited:

6of36

Reaction score
These days they’re more like wheel to back of cab. I can’t reach anything in the bed using my side steps.

View attachment 154548
4th Gens were true wheel to wheel but didn’t do me any good because I ran a topper.

View attachment 154549
Don't they offer both ways anymore? They may not due to the different way they mount on 5th gen. They used to mount to the frame, now they mount to the rockers.

HemiDude

Reaction score
Ram still offers the wheel to wheel, but you can’t get them in just black. I did see where a member on here bought those and then painted them black

Kumba1010

Reaction score
Ram still offers the wheel to wheel, but you can’t get them in just black. I did see where a member on here bought those and then painted them black
That's true...I think if you order a running board with night package, you will get the black. For 2023, I ordered the running board with sport package and got the wheel-to-wheel.

Dewey

Reaction score
Don't they offer both ways anymore? They may not due to the different way they mount on 5th gen. They used to mount to the frame, now they mount to the rockers.
Lot of different brands available so I’m sure there are some true wheel to wheel still out there. Mine are the factory steps included in the BackCountry package.

Last edited:

Darksteel165

Legendary member
Reaction score

Quint

Reaction score
I put on foot onto the step bar, and then my other foot onto the top of the tire to reach into my truck bed. Then I pound my chest like Tarzan and climb back down.

MikeyHo808

Ram Guru
Reaction score
The only thing I miss about the OEM steps…they were wheel to wheel.

Attachments

• 04B1AE50-34AC-4A5E-8FB7-38B3EAB0826E.jpeg
    04B1AE50-34AC-4A5E-8FB7-38B3EAB0826E.jpeg
    152.3 KB · Views: 13

Users who are viewing this thread