5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Bed spray or bed cover?

z28oc91

Reaction score
Just curious what people have or prefer. My option will be either a spray in liner (professionally done approx 400 bucks) or a rubber bed mat (rc or weathertech). I will end up getting a bed cover shortly after. My thoughts are possibly to save some coin and get the mat and liner, and I can always spray later if I chose to do. What are your suggestions

NWRogue

Reaction score
I have the factory spray in liner, a Husky bed mat and a tonneau cover. Factory liner because it came with it, bed mat because that stuff is rough on my 60 year old knees and helps keep stuff from sliding around, tonneau cover to keep it mostly dry and secure. Mostly applying to both dry and secure, as nothing is fool-proof if someone really wants in the bed of your truck.

Sascwatch

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Spray in liner combined with the rubber bed mat and tonneau cover is the way to go. Keeps your bed protected, gear from sliding around and out of sight from thieves.

brian42

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Bed mat and cover if you are on a budget.

I have the factory spray-in and recently got a soft cover. Next up is the Rough Country bed mat.

KCViper

Reaction score
I got the factory BUG (spray-in) and added a Bedrug XLT and BAK Revolver X4s tonneau. I'm loving the combination. Regarding the Bedrug, it's soft, very durable, and easy on the knees, and reduces things sliding around with just a spray-in!

obrien

Reaction score
Definitely 100% spray. No comparison with mats. I have actually both -> spray for protection and rubber mat to provide grip so things do not slide. But the mat is very optional, while spray is must have.

if you want it to last and actually use it as a truck, get spray in bedliner!

theblet

Legendary member
Reaction score
I have the ram drop in bed liner and a retrax cover. No complaints here.

SD Rebel

Spends too much time on here
Reaction score
As mentioned earlier, if on a lower budget, get a quality rubber bed mat. They are about $100 and that's all you really need unless you really need side protection. The rubber mats are amazing at protecting the floor, while have great grip so the stuff you put in the bed don't slide around, also the rubber surface won't damage anything delicate you put in the bed.

Ideally, you should get both for the perfect combination, stuff still slides too easily on the spray-in liner and it has a rough surface like sand paper, the rubber mat fixes that.

I have the factory spray-in liner and a DeeZee rubber mat. Very happy with that combo.

z28oc91

Reaction score
Definitely 100% spray. No comparison with mats. I have actually both -> spray for protection and rubber mat to provide grip so things do not slide. But the mat is very optional, while spray is must have.

if you want it to last and actually use it as a truck, get spray in bedliner!
My thoughts as well

z28oc91

Reaction score
As mentioned earlier, if on a lower budget, get a quality rubber bed mat. They are about $100 and that's all you really need unless you really need side protection. The rubber mats are amazing at protecting the floor, while have great grip so the stuff you put in the bed don't slide around, also the rubber surface won't damage anything delicate you put in the bed.

Ideally, you should get both for the perfect combination, stuff still slides too easily on the spray-in liner and it has a rough surface like sand paper, the rubber mat fixes that.

I have the factory spray-in liner and a DeeZee rubber mat. Very happy with that combo.
I’m leaning towards spray liner, RC mat, and either gator or bak cover

Jako

Spends too much time on here
Reaction score
I’m leaning towards spray liner, RC mat, and either gator or bak cover
Can't argue with that combination. I have a 2001 Dodge Ram 1500 with just a cover and a bed mat, no spray in liner. I have done various jobs (gravel, dirt, concrete, furniture etc.) and have used a folded over (3X-4X) old pool cover. The bed is in great shape. The spray in liner will protect from scratches but the bed mat is still needed if there is going to be impacts on the bed of the truck.
I had a weathertech tailgate mat (since replaced) and I believe it has limited value for impacts, looks good however. Review the install guide for weathertech bed mat if you are leaning that way, held down with velcro and I don't believe it is that substantial.

If you are getting a spray in liner there may be issues with bed lights/bed light hole caps. Also if you are thinking of getting the bed rails be aware of the hexagon holes being filled with the liner material. It would probably be best to install the rivnuts first, you could clean out the liner material but thee is a risk of scratching the paint.

z28oc91

Reaction score
Can't argue with that combination. I have a 2001 Dodge Ram 1500 with just a cover and a bed mat, no spray in liner. I have done various jobs (gravel, dirt, concrete, furniture etc.) and have used a folded over (3X-4X) old pool cover. The bed is in great shape. The spray in liner will protect from scratches but the bed mat is still needed if there is going to be impacts on the bed of the truck.
I had a weathertech tailgate mat (since replaced) and I believe it has limited value for impacts, looks good however. Review the install guide for weathertech bed mat if you are leaning that way, held down with velcro and I don't believe it is that substantial.

If you are getting a spray in liner there may be issues with bed lights/bed light hole caps. Also if you are thinking of getting the bed rails be aware of the hexagon holes being filled with the liner material. It would probably be best to install the rivnuts first, you could clean out the liner material but thee is a risk of scratching the paint.
I looked at the weathertech mat and was like damn that looks nice, and watched the video..immediately ruled it out as an option haha

Andymax

5thGenRams Supporter
Site Supporter
Reaction score
I "actually use my truck" and the Bedrug option is awesome...solves all the problems mentioned and looks/feels better than any spray-in, in my opinion. I also use the extang trifecta soft tonneau, which I bought due to budget, but will likely upgrade to a hard cover some time in the future.

BTW - before anyone gets riled up...I'm not sayin that spray-in is bad, at all. Its a great product, but FOR ME only solves one of several issues I wanted to address with the bed liner. The bedrug came the closest and at the least overall cost.

And I'd be pretty shocked if you can find a reputable spray-in for less than $500.

obrien

Reaction score
I "actually use my truck" and the Bedrug option is awesome...solves all the problems mentioned and looks/feels better than any spray-in, in my opinion. I also use the extang trifecta soft tonneau, which I bought due to budget, but will likely upgrade to a hard cover some time in the future.

BTW - before anyone gets riled up...I'm not sayin that spray-in is bad, at all. Its a great product, but FOR ME only solves one of several issues I wanted to address with the bed liner. The bedrug came the closest and at the least overall cost.

And I'd be pretty shocked if you can find a reputable spray-in for less than $500.
$299 in Austin Tx. This vendor has a very good reputation here, being recomended to me by many users and local custom truck shop. The liner is done very well and I have no complains https://www.centraltexastruckcoatings.com/

PurpleRT

Ram Guru
Reaction score
All 3.

Spray the bed to protect the bed and scratched beds look like ****.. I know, I know guys will scream it’s just a truck but I like my stuff to stay nice as long as I can help it. Rubber bed mat because it’s cheap and keeps things from sliding and a tonneau cover because I keep my work gear and toss my luggage in the back when I’m heading to another job.

I would do Line X first and then a rubber bed mat (it’s cheap). Cover can wait unless your having to keep gear in the bed.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

obrien

Reaction score
All 3.

Spray the bed to protect the bed and scratched beds look like ****.. I know, I know guys will scream it’s just a truck but I like my stuff to stay nice as long as I can help it. Rubber bed mat because it’s cheap and keeps things from sliding and a tonneau cover because I keep my work gear and toss my luggage in the back when I’m heading to another job.

I would do Line X first and then a rubber bed mat (it’s cheap). Cover can wait unless your having to keep gear in the bed.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
That is exactly what I did and works perfect. spray is a must, you will scratch you bed with rubber mat only, just matter of time. I frankly do not see any benefit of drop in over spray, the price different is not big

MxRacer965

Reaction score
Just joined the group, picked up a CPO 2019 Ram Big Horn 2 days ago that doesn’t have any sort of bed protection. No doubt going spray in. Just curious what a reasonable price would be for the service? 6’4“ bed if that makes a difference.

Any preference between Line X, Rhino, Zeibart?

KCViper

Reaction score
Just joined the group, picked up a CPO 2019 Ram Big Horn 2 days ago that doesn’t have any sort of bed protection. No doubt going spray in. Just curious what a reasonable price would be for the service? 6’4“ bed if that makes a difference.

Any preference between Line X, Rhino, Zeibart?
Line X is what comes from the factory (my understanding). I ordered the BUG and it has the spray in and looks to be of high quality. Line X seems to be a favorite, but I'm sure any major company that stands behind their work would do well. I've heard of prices from about $450 all the way to $900.....so definitely shop around.

Users who are viewing this thread