5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Bed Rails

Rupbre

Reaction score
Has anyone come across stainless bed rails yet?

WRH

Reaction score
I'd like to make a removable platform that sits on top of the bed rails for sleeping once I find a canopy. Does anyone know the weight limits of the factory installed rails?

devildodge

Staff member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Not sure on the exact weight , but mopar is providing a kayak rack that uses the bed rails, so they must be able to hold some weight.

But to be sure we are on the same page, we talking about the utility bed rails inside the box or the top sides of the bed?

WRH

Reaction score
Correct, on the sides of the bed near the top... with two sliding tie downs.

Attachments

• 20180713_043532785_iOS.jpg
    20180713_043532785_iOS.jpg
    416.1 KB · Views: 93

I Love Grits

5thGenRams Supporter
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Product description for the utility rails says the cleats are good for 320 lbs each.

Product description for the sliding toolbox says max capacity of 200 lbs. But this might be limited by the ability for it to slide, or a limitation of the separate rail system it uses.

Either way I think you'll be OK with a bed and person on top of it.

Twoamen

Reaction score
I think I read 300lb draw/pull tie down limit. Now vertical x horizontal structural integrity going to have a serious pull if your laying in middle of tour bed. It's only thin fender gauge metal with expansion lugs pulled against the sheet metal.
Using them for their intent would be safer. What about a wood frame built for the raised bed.

WRH

Reaction score
Yes, I am also considering building a frame, thanks for the input. If those bars were super solid, it just would have sure made it easy. I saw that 200 lbm rating on the toolbox too, and thought that if that means at any point along that track for the width of the toolbox it can support 200 lbs, that's pretty decent. Means every point that is bolted is able to support 100 pounds of vertical weight. I'll also have a single support down the middle, so that will support a fair amount of the weight too.

I still may go with the frame idea though :)

WRH

Reaction score
For those of you that have a bed rail, what sort of cool things have you found to attach to it? Is there a standard bolt/nut that can be used on this so we can attach/device our own creations?

Users who are viewing this thread