5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Bed rails

Bigdaveincali

Reaction score
I’m looking to add the bed rails for a 2020 longhorn, 1500. Short bed .
I have these online but , they want over $100.00 for shipping .
any suggestions ?

RJS

Reaction score
Amazon has them and free shipping

I got mine from the dealer for about $220 by using the 15% off coupon through the My Mopar website when I set it up for my 19 Laramie last year.

If you plan to install them look over the forum for ways to install the nut-serts without a tool if you don't have one. Takes some time but worked well when I did mine.

Pino F

Reaction score
I installed mine and I just have one advice. If you have a factory spray in bed liner make sure u use a dremel with a diamond flat bit to router the liner around the pre drilled holes. You need to remove almost all of the thick bed liner spray around the hole or the nut-rivet will not grab on the Sheetmetal and you will waste them. I had to pay over $7.00 each to replace the few I wasted trying before I figured out that the spray in bed liner was my problem.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

flipmcgee

Reaction score
I installed mine and I just have one advice. If you have a factory spray in bed liner make sure u use a dremel with a diamond flat bit to router the liner around the pre drilled holes. You need to remove almost all of the thick bed liner spray around the hole or the nut-rivet will not grab on the Sheetmetal and you will waste them. I had to pay over $7.00 each to replace the few I wasted trying before I figured out that the spray in bed liner was my problem.

I am just beginning this project and have been trying to figure out the best way to remove the bed liner around the holes. Stuff is like concrete. This would be a half hour job if it were not for the bed liner. I was hoping there was chemical that would loosen it up because I didn't want to grind them down to the metal and risk rust under the rivnuts although I could paint afterwards, Just curious where did you find extra rivnuts like those I have looked everywhere but cant locate the exact ones only partial hex. Any other tips you can share would be appreciated.

Rsorrell2

Reaction score
I didn’t remove my line-x just hammered them in and then used the $30 rivnut kit from Amazon without any issues

Pino F

Reaction score
I am just beginning this project and have been trying to figure out the best way to remove the bed liner around the holes. Stuff is like concrete. This would be a half hour job if it were not for the bed liner. I was hoping there was chemical that would loosen it up because I didn't want to grind them down to the metal and risk rust under the rivnuts although I could paint afterwards, Just curious where did you find extra rivnuts like those I have looked everywhere but cant locate the exact ones only partial hex. Any other tips you can share would be appreciated.

I used a dremel with a diamond flat head bit with a diameter similar to the size of the rivet. I went in straight and used the top of the bit to grind because it is flat. I’ve found that the bedliner is more of a plastic rubbery type and it ground out fairly easy. You are correct I did hit metal on a few holes but I cleaned it right away and used touch up paint to paint it immediately. I purchased the extra rivets from the dealer. They had to order them for me, it took about a week to get them.

Pino

Pino F

Reaction score
I didn’t remove my line-x just hammered them in and then used the $30 rivnut kit from Amazon without any issues

I had the factory spray in bedliner, and it was too thick around the holes.

Pino

Bearman95

Reaction score
Just curious but what would the bedrails be used for? I have a cover on my Laramie so it’s not like I’m gonna be hauling a lot ! I knew they existed I just did not know what the purpose of the bedrails is!

SD Rebel

Spends too much time on here
Reaction score
Just curious but what would the bedrails be used for? I have a cover on my Laramie so it’s not like I’m gonna be hauling a lot ! I knew they existed I just did not know what the purpose of the bedrails is!

A few items that are factory accessories, such as the tool box and bed driver, which can be position throughout the length of the rails. It comes with 4 adjustable hook rings that can be easily moved around the length of the rails.

Rustin5

Reaction score
Part number for the hex riv nuts is 6104885AA. I ordered extra because I boogered a few during install.

Reaction score

I purchased a used bed rail but the guy I bought them from did not have the rivet nuts anymore so I need to buy 16 of them. Do you know where I could buy them from and what size they are?

Users who are viewing this thread