5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Bed Rails not yet available?

broers22

Reaction score
Just bought a new 19 Laramie crew with chrome package and off road group. They put the Limited 22" on for me at dealership. Changed the long boards for door to door, added chrome body molding and gatorback flaps. But was surprised they dont make bed rails yet???

Attachments

• 20190109_215638.jpg
    20190109_215638.jpg
    2.2 MB · Views: 168
  • 20190109_171827.jpg
    20190109_171827.jpg
    1.7 MB · Views: 160

GOATinstructor

Reaction score
I saw a Patriot Blue 2019 Ram two days ago in my area that had chrome bed rails and it looked fantastic. I don't know how they were attached or the brand as I saw it while passing.

I cannot find any for sale online that claim they fit our trucks. I would like a pair of them myself.

The front stake pockets are covered an would require routing out and the rears are not in line with the fronts; the rails would not be parallel if attached at the stake pockets. I'm not sure how to attach a set...

jkm312

Reaction score
I have a set of Putco locker bed rails on mine. They are available for sale. I bought them directly from Putco. Had a set on my last truck. They are top shelf in my opinion.

GOATinstructor

What is did was center the rubber block on the bedrail cutouts, traced a pencil line with a welder's pencil and then cut them out with a dremel.

GOATinstructor

Reaction score
I have a set of Putco locker bed rails on mine. They are available for sale. I bought them directly from Putco. Had a set on my last truck. They are top shelf in my opinion.

GOATinstructor

What is did was center the rubber block on the bedrail cutouts, traced a pencil line with a welder's pencil and then cut them out with a dremel.

Did you have to dremel into the steel bedrail to achieve this? Any pics?

I'm not afraid to cut or drill into the plastic, but cutting into the bed of the body is not my thing.

Thanks!

jkm312

Reaction score
Did you have to dremel into the steel bedrail to achieve this? Any pics?

I'm not afraid to cut or drill into the plastic, but cutting into the bed of the body is not my thing.

Thanks!
If you center the rubber block on the stake hole and cut on the line you draw around it there is plenty of clearance for the sides of the stake pockets. I used a small cutoff wheel in the dremel. Putco includes a black plastic mounting plate that sits between the bedrail and the end piece of the locker rails. That base plate is large enough to cover the entire stake hole. I understand not wanting to cut into or nick the body of the truck, I didn't want to do that either. Took me 30 minutes to do the first one, took 15 minutes to do the last 3.

GOATinstructor

Reaction score
If you center the rubber block on the stake hole and cut on the line you draw around it there is plenty of clearance for the sides of the stake pockets. I used a small cutoff wheel in the dremel. Putco includes a black plastic mounting plate that sits between the bedrail and the end piece of the locker rails. That base plate is large enough to cover the entire stake hole. I understand not wanting to cut into or nick the body of the truck, I didn't want to do that either. Took me 30 minutes to do the first one, took 15 minutes to do the last 3.
So do the stake pockets themselves actually line up and the plastic cover does not?

Did the rubber blocks "bite in" correctly? Are the rails parallel?

GOATinstructor

Reaction score
For anyone interested, Putco reached out to me and said they have a new product designed for the New 2019 models.

Putco 89872 is the item number for the new locker side rails designed for our trucks.

Bigty

Reaction score
For anyone interested, Putco reached out to me and said they have a new product designed for the New 2019 models.

Putco 89872 is the item number for the new locker side rails designed for our trucks.
Are they available for the 6-4 Box? I want a set of black one :)

ksn240

Ram Guru
Reaction score
How close do these fit towards the inside of the bed. Is there still room for the rails of a bed cover like the trifold Bakflips?

GOATinstructor

Reaction score
How close do these fit towards the inside of the bed. Is there still room for the rails of a bed cover like the trifold Bakflips?
I just ordered.

I have a truxedo X15 Pro. I will upload pics.

It should fit just fine, though, for my application. The tonneau cover doesnt sit on the lip of the bed rails. Not sure about the bakflip.

ksn240

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I just ordered.

It should fit just fine, though, for my application. The tonneau cover doesnt sit on the lip of the bed rails. Not sure about the bakflip.
I have the Bakflip MX4. The rails hang maybe a half inch over the bed. I like the look of the bed rails and would love if I could make them work with the MX4

jkm312

Reaction score
I just ordered.

What I have is the Lomax tonneau cover and they do fit. There is more space on the front of the bed than on the back because it seems to me it tapers a little. I had a set of Putco's like this on the last truck, that's why I bought another set. One of the stake holes did not tighten up like it should, front left one. What I think happened is the plate is spinning on the bottom of the rubber block. I can't tighten it or loosen it. Nothing that can't be remedied, just have to find the time to take it apart and straighten it out. I've been thru some pretty good rains lately and the Lomax does not leak except around the tail gate ever so slightly. Not enough to get excited about.

When you mount the rails make sure you have the rubber block down in the stake hole. Hold it down hard when you tighten it all up. IMG_0295.jpg IMG_0299.jpg IMG_0294.jpg IMG_0295.jpg IMG_0299.jpg IMG_0294.jpg

Bigty

Reaction score
What I have is the Lomax tonneau cover and they do fit. There is more space on the front of the bed than on the back because it seems to me it tapers a little. I had a set of Putco's like this on the last truck, that's why I bought another set. One of the stake holes did not tighten up like it should, front left one. What I think happened is the plate is spinning on the bottom of the rubber block. I can't tighten it or loosen it. Nothing that can't be remedied, just have to find the time to take it apart and straighten it out. I've been thru some pretty good rains lately and the Lomax does not leak except around the tail gate ever so slightly. Not enough to get excited about.

When you mount the rails make sure you have the rubber block down in the stake hole. Hold it down hard when you tighten it all up. View attachment 25436 View attachment 25437 View attachment 25438 View attachment 25436 View attachment 25437 View attachment 25438
Are those on a 6-4 Box? & Do they come in black? Part Number.... ?

jkm312

Reaction score
Are those on a 6-4 Box? & Do they come in black? Part Number.... ?
Yes they are on a 6-4 box. I honestly don't remember the part number, I bought them back in March of this year. The shipping box and paperwork are long gone.

rrbhokies

Reaction score
Haven't seen any updates since May on people installing bed rails on their trucks. Thinking about the Putco 88873 black rails for my 6'4" bed. As far as I can tell, these are still the only ones on the market that are made specifically for the 2019 new Rams. Anyone recently install these rails or know of any other models out there? Install pics if possible too. Thanks.

Users who are viewing this thread