5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Bed Rack for Roof Top Tent

2019ramrebel12

Reaction score
Finished and installed my custom bed rack. I wanted something that would allow me to put a Smittybilt overland xl (weight capacity of 700) on top but still allow use of the rambox and my bakflip bed cover. Not perfect but for about $200 in materials and a couple days work, I'm pleased. It's about 1 inch taller than the cab height, still shorter than the antenna and should hold the family and then some!

Attachments

• 20200328_140012.jpg
    20200328_140012.jpg
    133.8 KB · Views: 498
Last edited:

dacm99

Reaction score
I suspect this is something you can sell. Would love to see how it is mounted to the bed. Fantastic work!

Last edited:

2019ramrebel12

Reaction score
I suspect this is something you can sell. Would love to see how it is mounted to the bed. Fantastic work!
I popped the corner plastic pieces off the top of the bed sides and bolted it to steel pieces below that function to sandwich the factory steel between it. It takes about 2 hours to take off or on, but that includes removing the ramboxes. I tried to mimic the nuthouse industries design, but taller to allow me to use my bed cover.

smcleod417

Reaction score
I'm going to pretty much copy yours for my RTT. What size and guage of tubing did you use? I was thinking 1.25", 14 ga.

2019ramrebel12

Reaction score
I'm going to pretty much copy yours for my RTT. What size and guage of tubing did you use? I was thinking 1.25", 14 ga.
I used 2" tubing with 1/8" walls. Total overkill but I figured I would rather have it too stout than not support whatever weight might end up on top.

crazymjb

Reaction score
Dealer sent over this picture after the detail. Should be delivered tomorrow AM. $41,600, and all said and done, taxes, fees, shipping to my door (200 miles away) were at 44K. Apart from the $600 doc fee, I'm not upset. 2019 with 14K miles. Luxury package, Uconnect 12, pano sun roof, level 2 equipment group, bedliner, bed step, side steps.

Question: I have always bought factory extended warranties. The dealer is pushing for Assurant. I was planning to just get the one from Ziegler everyone talks about here. Thoughts?

wifetruck.jpg

smcleod417

Reaction score
Built up my own rambox compatible rack and happy with how it came out. Thanks 2019ramrebel12 for the inspiration. The rack mounts with no mod's to my truck and works with both the rambox's and backflip cover. Now just need to put the RTT on it. IMG_3945.JPG IMG_3947.JPG IMG_3949.JPG

2019ramrebel12

Reaction score
Built up my own rambox compatible rack and happy with how it came out. Thanks 2019ramrebel12 for the inspiration. The rack mounts with no mod's to my truck and works with both the rambox's and backflip cover. Now just need to put the RTT on it. View attachment 58568 View attachment 58569 View attachment 58570
Nice work. I'm taking the family out next week for a couple camping outings to get some use out of my rtt for the first time. Throw another picture or two up after you get a tent.

smcleod417

Reaction score
Nice work. I'm taking the family out next week for a couple camping outings to get some use out of my rtt for the first time. Throw another picture or two up after you get a tent.
Will do. We're going camping Father's Day weekend (already have a tent). Should be interesting, it's the first time I've convinced the wife to join me in the RTT.

Brownadame

Reaction score
Will do. We're going camping Father's Day weekend (already have a tent). Should be interesting, it's the first time I've convinced the wife to join me in the RTT.
I'm installing my RTT this week to Yakima OutPost HD / HD Bar system which will sit over my retraxone XR cover and have a couple of questions you might be able to help me with? 1. When you are camping and have the RTT deployed, do you do anything with the air suspension? Put it in Jack/tire mode? ... I really wish you could manually control each corner of the air suspension, would love to be able to use that to help level the bed/tent. 2. I've been trying and failing to see what weight the bed / side rails can safely hold. I'm assuming its more than the Yakima HD bars and my RTT can, but I'd love to see it in a manual somewhere. Any idea or where to look?

Going to make a video of the whole install process and my RTT tent specifically as I struggled for a long time on what to buy / how to make the set up because I couldn't find a lot of good information out there. I'll post that here when its done too.

smcleod417

Reaction score
1. When you are camping and have the RTT deployed, do you do anything with the air suspension? Put it in Jack/tire mode? ... I really wish you could manually control each corner of the air suspension, would love to be able to use that to help level the bed/tent. 2. I've been trying and failing to see what weight the bed / side rails can safely hold. I'm assuming its more than the Yakima HD bars and my RTT can, but I'd love to see it in a manual somewhere. Any idea or where to look?
1. I just put the suspension in entry/exit, to lower as much as possible. 2. I don't know where to look for the weight rating of the bed rails and I doubt you'll find it as it would be dependent on distribution of the weight. It's pretty safe to assume the bed side can handle more than the Yakima system.

2019ramrebel12

Reaction score
First time out with the family to camp. Trip went great other than a bit of damage getting to our spot. The trail (Metberry Gulch, Colorado) was much tougher than expected and ended up scraping and bending the mess out of my steps, losing a fender flare, and breaking an exhaust hanger. Got most everything patched back up when we got home. Glad I have skid plates and am eagerly awaiting the arrival of my White Knuckle sliders that will go on before our next outing.

Attachments

• Truck_tent.jpg
    Truck_tent.jpg
    194.2 KB · Views: 225
  • Truck_annex.jpg
    Truck_annex.jpg
    179.2 KB · Views: 226

RockYacht2020

Reaction score
That's pretty slick. I went the complete other route and built a separate trailer for my RTT so I could drive away after I set up camp. I installed it to a 1000 lbs lift cart chassis that I removed the casters from so I could scissor lift it with the hydraulic pump up to height and be able to walk under it. It lowers down to below the truck level for a bit more efficiency while driving. I love seeing people's solutions for camping.

You can see it here collapsed and ready to go and then a good shot of the general design while I was building it. It's a much cleaner finish. Like those Rambox racks, though! I'm trying to figure out what over-bed rack solution I want to use for my bike racks.

Attachments

• IMG_20200619_101847.jpg
    IMG_20200619_101847.jpg
    236.2 KB · Views: 232
  • IMG_20180115_163347258_HDR.jpg
    IMG_20180115_163347258_HDR.jpg
    166.2 KB · Views: 229
  • IMG_20180203_151549_01.jpg
    IMG_20180203_151549_01.jpg
    79.1 KB · Views: 224

Downytide

Reaction score
First time out with the family to camp. Trip went great other than a bit of damage getting to our spot. The trail (Metberry Gulch, Colorado) was much tougher than expected and ended up scraping and bending the mess out of my steps, losing a fender flare, and breaking an exhaust hanger. Got most everything patched back up when we got home. Glad I have skid plates and am eagerly awaiting the arrival of my White Knuckle sliders that will go on before our next outing.

That looks wicked, are you going to add mounting points for traction mats and may be jerry cans?

Users who are viewing this thread