5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Bed mat

Heminutt

Reaction score
Looking at getting a bed and tailgate mat dont wont spray in. Whats out there for options. If you have pictures of them installed that would be helpful.

Jako

Spends too much time on here
Reaction score
I bought a Westin bed mat- terrible fit and looks like chewed up tires. It looks like it was made from 3 different tires. I didn't want to go through the hassle of returning it. Total (n) to the point I wouldn't buy anything Westin based on this product. Weathertech reviews have the mat being blown out of the truck and the velcro not holding and it appears some reviews complain about keeping it clean. The Weathertech also appears to be thin but I have no personal experience.

NOW for the positive:

I hated the Westin so bad I purchased the Smartliner bed mat. Read the description. It is spot on. It has a lip that goes around the perimeter and is a tight fit. The lip also goes across the tailgate. I could see this becoming an issue when putting things in the bed. It is grippy - good and bad. Too much grip and it becomes difficult to slide things in, not enough and things slide. I have just installed the mat and have no experience placing items in the bed so I can not comment.

I have the bed rails which create an issue if I had installed the full bed rug mat or duel liner, which I thought about. I would need to remove the bed rails if I wanted to do a full OCD clean.

I have a bed mat in my 2001 1500 SLT that was made in the USA back in the day. 100% satisfied but could not ID the make and find something similar on line. I doubt it exists in our international economy.

So far a big(y) and :) for the Smartliner.

I do not have the truck with me at this time so a picture will have to wait for a later time.

VectorZ

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I have this one, heavy duty and great fit.

Attachments

• 87D7476C-1A06-49B2-81D1-E042776586AB.jpeg
    87D7476C-1A06-49B2-81D1-E042776586AB.jpeg
    79.5 KB · Views: 109

Mr. Hindsight

Reaction score
I bought a Westin bed mat- terrible fit and looks like chewed up tires. It looks like it was made from 3 different tires. I didn't want to go through the hassle of returning it. Total (n) to the point I wouldn't buy anything Westin based on this product. Weathertech reviews have the mat being blown out of the truck and the velcro not holding and it appears some reviews complain about keeping it clean. The Weathertech also appears to be thin but I have no personal experience.

NOW for the positive:

I hated the Westin so bad I purchased the Smartliner bed mat. Read the description. It is spot on. It has a lip that goes around the perimeter and is a tight fit. The lip also goes across the tailgate. I could see this becoming an issue when putting things in the bed. It is grippy - good and bad. Too much grip and it becomes difficult to slide things in, not enough and things slide. I have just installed the mat and have no experience placing items in the bed so I can not comment.

I have the bed rails which create an issue if I had installed the full bed rug mat or duel liner, which I thought about. I would need to remove the bed rails if I wanted to do a full OCD clean.

I have a bed mat in my 2001 1500 SLT that was made in the USA back in the day. 100% satisfied but could not ID the make and find something similar on line. I doubt it exists in our international economy.

So far a big(y) and :) for the Smartliner.

I do not have the truck with me at this time so a picture will have to wait for a later time.

Thanks for the link. The Smartliner seems decent. It doesn’t look like they offer the piece to cover the tailgate though. Does yours cover the tailgate?

Jako

Reaction score
Thanks for the link. The Smartliner seems decent. It doesn’t look like they offer the piece to cover the tailgate though. Does yours cover the tailgate?
No, but the weathertech tailgate can be bought separately, don't know about bed rug. I also think of bringing the tailgate to Line-X or creating my own.

No rush on my part. It took 1 1/2 years of ownership before smartliner came out with their bed mat. Who knows what future products will be out there.

AmericanRebelution

Reaction score
I have this one, heavy duty and great fit.
I have this one as well. I put it in on top of my Linex spary-in for some added protection. Fit for me isn't perfect by any means - but that is likely because it's on top of a Linex. This mat is tough and provides a non-slip surface.

VectorZ

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I have this one as well. I put it in on top of my Linex spary-in for some added protection. Fit for me isn't perfect by any means - but that is likely because it's on top of a Linex. This mat is tough and provides a non-slip surface.
I have the factory bed liner and my mat fits perfectly.

mikeru82

Legendary member
Reaction score
I had the Weathertech in my last truck, and I really liked it. I also opted for the tailgate mat. I never had any issues with it coming loose, or the velcro failing. It seemed a little thin compared with other bed mats I've had, but after a few loads of firewood there was no damage to anything. It's lighter colored, so it did have some areas which were discolored from use. I suspect that people who have had issues with them coming loose probably didn't follow the detailed installation instructions closely enough.

Last edited:

TVANVA

Reaction score
If you have a RAM Box bed and you are "thrifty".......

I bought an outdoor mat of the recycled tire bits variety at Wal-Mart. Width was perfect and required just a little trim off one end for length. Cost was about $30. Nice and grippy.

Heminutt

Reaction score
I had the Weathertech in my last truck, and I really liked it. I also opted for the tailgate mat. I never had any issues with it coming loose, or the velcro failing. It seemed a little thin compared with other bed mats I've had, but after a few loads of firewood there was no damage to anything. It's lighter colored, so it did have some areas which were discolored from use. I suspect that people who have had issues with them coming loose probably didn't follow detailed installation instructions closely enough.
How does the weathertech do for getting stuff under it.

Jako

Reaction score
Pics of Smartliner bed mat and one with Westin on top. Some may find an issue with the raised edge along the tailgate.
Ram Bed mat Snartliner 1.JPG Ram bed mat Smartliner 2.JPG Ram bed mat Smartliner 3.JPG Ram bed mat Smartliner 4.JPG Ram bed mat Smartliner 5.JPG Ram bed mat Smartliner 6.JPG Ram bed mat Smartliner 7.JPG Ram bed mat Smartliner 8.JPG Ram bed mat Smart vs Westin.JPG

Jako

Reaction score
The smartliner looks really nice
Yeah - I'm super pleased with the Smartliner fit and look.
I ordered the Westin from Carid back in December of 2018. I'm beginning to think they sent me something other than a Westin #50-6425. The "Westin bed mat" has #TM665 on it and the fit isn't even close at the tailgate and not that great around the wheel wells.. Was it Carid with a substitute product (close enough) or Westin's product back in 2018? Whatever/whoever, I won't even look at anything Westin and I am not sure of Carid.

Attachments

• Ram bed mat Smart vs Westin 2.JPG
    Ram bed mat Smart vs Westin 2.JPG
    188.2 KB · Views: 22

Clyde

Reaction score
I have a DeeZee bed mat, 038CA153-63A8-4375-965A-7DAFCB27676B.jpeg fits 6’4” bed. It’s pretty much new, I had it in my truck for less than a week before I got a bed liner. It’s heavy duty - probably 3/8” thick and fits the bed nicely.

I’m selling it for $60, I’m located 30 minutes north of San Diego. Too much of hassle to ship, local pickup only.

mikeru82

Legendary member
Reaction score
How does the weathertech do for getting stuff under it.

I honestly couldn't tell you. I never removed it in the 2+ years I had it in my truck. I never noticed any sign, like bumps or bulges, that anything was underneath it though. It fit real well to the sides of the bed. No gaps or anything, so I can't see anything very big being able to get under it. But I'm sure there were small pieces of bark, leaves, or maybe pine needles that found their way under.

Users who are viewing this thread