5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Bed lights

RAMBS

Reaction score
So, I know that I got a little spoiled with my 17 with all the bells and whistles. I really liked having the lights in the bed, especially with the tonneau cover on. I noticed that I have little covers where they should go. Is the wiring there? Can I just purchase some 12 volt lights from the camper supply store and install them? I have nice LED motion activated lights in my travel trailer.

jamesfg

Reaction score
I'll save ya fom the comments of "use the search button". You can get the OEM lights that fit where the plastic pieces are but your going to have to pony up at the dealer to have them turn that function on. I vaguely remember the lights being about $130. If you want to get the same result at a lower price.....get some generic under the rail lights from Amazon or Ebay. Now if you want them to turn on with your cargo light, you can find the trigger wire on the drivers side sill plate and tap into that. White wire with tan tracer. You can also just run a 12v power line to your fuse box with an add a fuse and then put a toggle switch inside the bed to turn on at your will.

Please, please, please heed my warning as I'm extremely knowledgeable with vehicle electronics.

The LED lights don't take alot of power for them to work, so make sure that if you do mount LED lights run a 5 amp fuse. I have seen where folks tap LED lights into an existing source, get a short, melt the wire and start a fire cos the fuse source they tapped into was 15/20/25 amp and it wasn't enuff to trip the fuse.

RAMBS

Reaction score
Thanks for the information. I will probably get the dealer to install them , If they will get it done for just a couple hundred?

Users who are viewing this thread