5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Bed lighting

bocco

Reaction score
My new RAM has pop out plastic covers in the bed towards the back that look you could install bed lights in them. Does anybody know if there is a kit with lights and maybe a harness that connects into existing wiring available?

Rambro1776

Reaction score
I believe this is the mopar#82215795AC

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

21Bighornnightedition

Reaction score
My new RAM has pop out plastic covers in the bed towards the back that look you could install bed lights in them. Does anybody know if there is a kit with lights and maybe a harness that connects into existing wiring available?
I've been through this upgrade 3 times now on the new body style. There is an oem kit that includes the wiring harness and lights. They are exactly the same as the factory. The parts numbers are shown in the first response to your question. Just a couple hints to hopefully help you. First be sure to order the kit for the new body style. There are a number of sites that don't make it clear that the lower price kit is for 2016-2018. Second there are a number of videos on how to do the installation. And follow up videos on "pinning" into the wiring. It's pretty straight forward if you are handy. If not beware the dealer installation price for the complete job or just for flashing the computer to recognize the new option.
Expect to pay around $150-$160 for the kit and anywhere from $200 up for dealership install (I got one quote of $595 for dealer installed including the light kit).
Many owners are opting for LED light strips (as low as $25 on Amazon) and doing creative wiring.
These alternatives are all covered in the forums.
Try searching "alternative to open bed lights".
Good luck with the upgrade, it's a very nice addition

Rambro1776

Reaction score
Looks like this got superceded by 82215272AC. Looks pretty easy for a DIY install. I like that it's all plug and play.

Should be plug and play. I’ll be attempting soon

spdglez78

Reaction score
Should be plug and play. I’ll be attempting soon

Did you ever get around to it.
Wondering what it cost and how hard it was to install?
Thanks

Sent from my SM-G970U using Tapatalk

ferraiolo1

Spends too much time on here
Reaction score
If you search YouTube for “Oem ram bed lighting”

There is a full vid on how to install on the gen5 trucks. It’s technically plug and play. But pretty involved

mikeru82

Legendary member
Reaction score
I pinned it how this guy has it and it worked well for me.

That's the video I followed when I installed this kit as well on a previous 5th gen I owned. It's not a difficult job but there's a lot to do. I was happy with the results in the end, and it was definitely worth doing.

On a side note, During the install I discovered a wiring issue that surely would have caused problems down the road, after removing the rear wheelhouse liner as instructed. The wiring harness bundle in the left rear corner of the truck wasn't laying where it should have been, and was chafing on a fairly sharp piece of metal. I was able to relocate the wire harness and secure it with zip ties to prevent problems. But it's something that I check now when I buy a new truck. And has me wondering what other wires might be affected by similar bad installation.

Users who are viewing this thread