5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Bed Lighting Kit

Goodboy

Reaction score
Here is the pin switch and the mounting of it on my truck.

The switch you linked to should work but doesn't have much of a throw...
20231223_131900.jpg 20231223_131708.jpg

Goodboy

Reaction score
The only way I know of to power the bed lights are:

Taping into the cargo light
Taping into the trailer constant power circuit.

I don't know and I don't think there is constant power in the taillight circuit... But idk lol

*edit*
Those magnetic switches may work for a while... So if someone has a video of it working that doesn't surprise me... But everything I've read and looking at the current/amperage of them tells me they may work for a bit but not long lol

*edit#2*

I chose to power from the trailer because I want to control how long they are on... And I want to add a cigarette lighter plug.

My lights will be controlled by the pin switch (ground) and a toggle switch... I see no reason to have the light on without the taillight open and the pin switch gives me a little bit of redundancy if I leave it on.

Last edited:

Gren71

Reaction score

I don't know and I don't think there is constant power in the taillight circuit... But idk lol

*edit*
Those magnetic switches may work for a while... So if someone has a video of it working that doesn't surprise me... But everything I've read and looking at the current/amperage of them tells me they may work for a bit but not long lol

*edit#2*

I chose to power from the trailer because I want to control how long they are on... And I want to add a cigarette lighter plug.

My lights will be controlled by the pin switch (ground) and a toggle switch... I see no reason to have the light on without the taillight open and the pin switch gives me a little bit of redundancy if I leave it on.
You're probably right about the tail lights, it seemed like low hanging fruit and I was hoping it could work. I suppose I can give the cargo light process another look.

SShadow1974

Reaction score
Here is the pin switch and the mounting of it on my truck.

The switch you linked to should work but doesn't have much of a throw...
View attachment 173179 View attachment 173180
Do you have a link for those ones? As for the throw, I don't think I need much of a throw as long as it turns on when the tailgates opens and turns off when the tailgate is closed. It just seems better to me than a rocker switch. *shrug* I'll make a final decision after I open them up on Christmas morning. :)

Goodboy

Reaction score
You're probably right about the tail lights, it seemed like low hanging fruit and I was hoping it could work. I suppose I can give the cargo light process another look.
If you use the cargo light as a power source then the cargo switch (on the dash) is the only thing you need... Any other switches become redundant :)

I mentioned the throw because it can be a pain to adjust a small throw switch to open... Small variations can cause it to be closed/on if not mounted properly/securely...

SShadow1974

Reaction score
If you use the cargo light as a power source then the cargo switch (on the dash) is the only thing you need... Any other switches become redundant :)
I would do that, but I don't like tapping into the OEM wiring and I kind of want a switch at the tailgate.

Goodboy

Reaction score
I would do that, but I don't like tapping into the OEM wiring and I kind of want a switch at the tailgate.
Control at the tailgate can only be achieved with the oem kit (I think it has a switch) or providing constant power from somewhere

SShadow1974

Reaction score
Control at the tailgate can only be achieved with the oem kit (I think it has a switch) or providing constant power from somewhere
Yeah, that's why I've got a trailer harness that I'm going to patch into the truck and then tap into that harness for the bed lights with either a rocker switch or a momentary switch activated via the tailgate.

Gren71

Reaction score
Has anyone had ANY issues with using the trailer wiring harness? The video posted earlier in the thread uses it and that install process seems very simple. Im just nervous about potentially messing up that entire harness.

Gren71

Reaction score
Good no know and saved for later use, despite that harness not being the one for my year truck. But the question still remains.. Has anyone had any issues after tapping into it? Im less concerned with a small harness issue and more concerned with the BCM or some other component that I cant just replace having a problem. i suppose I could have worded the original question better to express that.

Rino2301

Reaction score

*edit*

*edit#2*

Goodboy, which wire does the pin switch tap into, hot or ground? I ran my bed lights to the trailer harness constant and have an on/off switch mounted, but want the peace of mind to know they turn off when the switch is closed.

SShadow1974

Reaction score
Goodboy, which wire does the pin switch tap into, hot or ground? I ran my bed lights to the trailer harness constant and have an on/off switch mounted, but want the peace of mind to know they turn off when the switch is closed.
Just put the momentary switch in line with your ground that you ran to the on/off switch.

Goodboy

Reaction score

The ground because depending on kind of switch you wouldn't want it with power.

Here's my lights and switches.

For the last week of using them every morning at work I've just gotten into the habit of flipping the toggle switch to turn on and off... But if I accidentally leave it on or it somehow got bumped the pin switch turns it off

Attachments

• 20231227_171012.jpg
    20231227_171012.jpg
    166.2 KB · Views: 35
  • 20231227_170817.jpg
    20231227_170817.jpg
    130 KB · Views: 35
  • 20231227_171934.jpg
    20231227_171934.jpg
    148.7 KB · Views: 35

JRD

Reaction score
Th
So I don't want to wire my bed lights to anything but power. I will be using a switch in the bed to turn them on and off as I want. Any suggestions to an easy place to tap into power that won't send my truck into fits? Computers are great and all, but they sure can be finicky!
is is what I’m looking to do, did it work for you? I haven’t finished reading the thread yet so forgive me if you’ve already confirmed

Users who are viewing this thread