5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Bed Light Kit

JRD

Reaction score
Let me start off by saying I know this is a dumb question. But I’ve never owned a truck so I’m not certain.

How do the oem bed light kits turn on? Is it a button, or similar to headlights where it uses the sensor?

Also, are there better aftermarket options or is the oem the best kit? I would like to utilize the holes in the bed vs something like strip light.

deanfx

Reaction score
The light on the left side has a button to turn them on. If you have your interior lights to come on with doors open, like the dome light, the bed lights come on with the cargo light. Also when you open the tailgate with the dome lights on, the bed lights come on.

I don't think any other lights are as nice, but I'm sure other options are out there.

Reactions: JRD

q8ram

Reaction score
I have the oem kit and i think it is the best u can turn it on from inside the cabin with the dome light button or from out side it has a button on it

Biyyadiii

Reaction score
Reviving an old thread here. OP did you end up getting the OEM lights? Also, when you install OEM lights yourself, do they work with the dome light button from inside the cab?

I just bought a 1500 and it didn’t come with bed lights, so I’m looking into adding the OEM ones from Mopar’s website.

RebelWraith

Polymath
Reaction score
Reviving an old thread here. OP did you end up getting the OEM lights? Also, when you install OEM lights yourself, do they work with the dome light button from inside the cab?

I just bought a 1500 and it didn’t come with bed lights, so I’m looking into adding the OEM ones from Mopar’s website.
If you install the OEM bed lights yourself they will not work until they are activated by the dealer or you use a system like AlfaOBD to activate them. There are wiring workarounds for this, but then you lose the integrated nature of the factory bed lights.

Biyyadiii

Reaction score
If you install the OEM bed lights yourself they will not work until they are activated by the dealer or you use a system like AlfaOBD to activate them. There are wiring workarounds for this, but then you lose the integrated nature of the factory bed lights.
And if I install it myself and drive down to the dealer and tell them to “activate it” they’ll go ahead and do that. The other factor is, I have a lease.

RebelWraith

Polymath
Reaction score
And if I install it myself and drive down to the dealer and tell them to “activate it” they’ll go ahead and do that. The other factor is, I have a lease.
Yes, they will charge to activate the lights though. Whatever their base hour rate is usually the cost the dealer will charge. If you have a lease have them quote you the cost of installing the bed lights. Might not be much more than they would charge just for the activation.

Dookie

Ram Guru
Reaction score
My dealer charged my over $500.00 for kit and installation. I may have been a$$ raped, or that is a good deal, not sure. Just FYI.

deanfx

Reaction score
My dealer charged my over $500.00 for kit and installation. I may have been a$$ raped, or that is a good deal, not sure. Just FYI.
Nah, that's terrible. I think I paid 120 for the labor

Mpickwith

Reaction score
I found the bed light kit for $124.90 (OEM) so I’m hoping the dealer only charges $120 for the light install and programming

Dookie

Ram Guru
Reaction score
First let me say...I'm electrically challenged, so please bear with me.

My bed lights are dealer-installed but do not come on automatically when I open the tailgate only. I have to push the button on the light itself, turn on the cargo light via the button in-cab, unlock button on the keyfob, or open any door. Also, I have never once seen my Tailgate Ajar warning lamp light up or chime and I have tried to make it do so without success. My sticker says I have that feature from the Level 2 Equ. Group. Does anyone know what triggers the Tailgate Ajar warning/chime? Thinking it may be something wasn't plugged back in when light kit installed, but I would think if it weren't, the light would always be on.

I have another question(s), I have some auxiliary LED reverse lights on the way and will be using a Curt 56584 to wire them in to come on when in reverse, no big deal. If I were to also add a wire running from the driver's side bed light to the blue wire on the 5 pin so the reverse light would come on with the bed/cargo lights AND also come on when in reverse, which wire would I splice into on the bed light plug? Also, would doing so also make the bed/cargo lights come on when in reverse and would it have any negative effect (CEL) or possibly blow a fuse. Would it be best to diode the wire from the bed lights going to the blue wire on 5 pin so it wouldn't allow current back to the bed/cargo lights when in reverse? The reverse lights I have coming in draw 3.3A per light, there are 2.

TIA

Last edited:

Jako

Spends too much time on here
Reaction score
First let me say...I'm electrically challenged, so please bear with me.

My bed lights are dealer-installed but do not come on automatically when I open the tailgate only. I have to push the button on the light itself, turn on the cargo light via the button in-cab, unlock button on the keyfob, or open any door. Also, I have never once seen my Tailgate Ajar warning lamp light up or chime and I have tried to make it do so without success. My sticker says I have that feature from the Level 2 Equ. Group. Does anyone know what triggers the Tailgate Ajar warning/chime? Thinking it may be something wasn't plugged back in when light kit installed, but I would think if it weren't, the light would always be on.

I have another question(s), I have some auxiliary LED reverse lights on the way and will be using a Curt 56584 to wire them in to come on when in reverse, no big deal. If I were to also add a wire running from the driver's side bed light to the blue wire on the 5 pin so the reverse light would come on with the bed/cargo lights AND also come on when in reverse, which wire would I splice into on the bed light plug? Also, would doing so also make the bed/cargo lights come on when in reverse and would it have any negative effect (CEL) or possibly blow a fuse. Would it be best to diode the wire from the bed lights going to the blue wire on 5 pin so it wouldn't allow current back to the bed/cargo lights when in reverse? The reverse lights I have coming in draw 3.3A per light, there are 2.

TIA
Think about using the Curt 56070 instead of the 56584. The 56070 will give you an auxiliary wire. I used the 5 pin flat (56584) for my auxiliary reverse lights which worked fine. However later I decided to add LED bed lights and needed a power source so I tapped into the trailer wiring harness . If I had used the 56070 the power source would be there without tapping in the trailer wiring harness.

Dookie

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Too late, already ordered. Did you tap into #4 (1 o'clock) on the 7 pin? I thought about that and just running a switch in the cab. I may just leave them as reverse lights only.

BTW, again, the dealer-installed my bed light. Was looking at them yesterday, how do they come out? Are they only held by friction? I tried to pry at the top as I know the bottom has a tab (read the install instructions) but was afraid to push it too much and cause damage. Those suckers are in there tight! maybe they also used some RTV, dunno.

Jako

Spends too much time on here
Reaction score
Too late, already ordered. Did you tap into #4 (1 o'clock) on the 7 pin? I thought about that and just running a switch in the cab. I may just leave them as reverse lights only.

BTW, again, the dealer-installed my bed light. Was looking at them yesterday, how do they come out? Are they only held by friction? I tried to pry at the top as I know the bottom has a tab (read the install instructions) but was afraid to push it too much and cause damage. Those suckers are in there tight! maybe they also used some RTV, dunno.
FYI

Reverse lights

You will probably find someone tapping into the trailer harness plug wire for the reverse lights in one of these threads. Just trace out the + from the cover for constant power.

karlh

Reaction score
Friggin' crazy IMO. If I decide I need light back there I'll get a $20 light strip and a manual switch. $200-$300 for what is a little more than a night lite? Not me.

Users who are viewing this thread