5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Bed light install opinions...

YellowSled

Reaction score
Truck did not come with bedlights, going to install the strip lighting. I am torn how I want to wire them up. Let me explain....

Should I hook them up to the constant power so i can just push the button in the bed anytime, or should I hook it up with the switch to running light power (so it only has power when lets say taillights are on) Thought is so kids or myself can not accidentally leave lights on indefinitely. Yes, I know I would only be able to turn the bed light on essentially when the truck lights are on(or when its unlocked), but i think that's 98% of the time I would need to use it. Thoughts?

LaxDfns15

Ram Guru
Reaction score
If you work out of the back of your truck at all, and you leave the bed lights on for an extended period, you're going to fight the tail lights turning off automatically if you wire to that. I did that once on my old truck, this one will be wired to constant power as soon as I can get myself out there to set everything up.

You'll also be adding to battery drain if you use the bed lights without the truck running by having all the lights on.

TX_Phil

Reaction score
Do a search on bed light wiring. Someone posted a while back about using what I think they called a 2 pole switch. One position was on with cargo light, other position was always on and in the middle was always off. Think I might try this approach one day.

Sent from my SM-T230NU using Tapatalk

Jako

Spends too much time on here
Reaction score
Do a search on bed light wiring. Someone posted a while back about using what I think they called a 2 pole switch. One position was on with cargo light, other position was always on and in the middle was always off. Think I might try this approach one day.

There is a SPDT - Single Pole Double Throw and also a DPDT - Double Pole Double Throw, depending on what you want to do and power. Well, there is a batch.

Last edited:

TX_Phil

Reaction score
DPDT - Double Pole Double Throw
Thanks for that. Clearly I got the switch wrong but at least I got the 2 \ double pole part, which is useless without the double throw. Yep, swing and a miss. LOL

mikeru82

Legendary member
Reaction score
Why not go with the stock lights and install them yourself? I paid $125 for the Mopar light kit. There is a thread here with instructions on how to wire it up so you won't have to take it to a dealer and pay them to activate the lights. Burned up most of a day installing them, but I'm very happy that I have factory bed lights which function exactly the way they're supposed to. Still seems odd to me that bed lights aren't standard on the Laramie or the Rebel though.

YellowSled

Reaction score
if i had the stock ones pre installed, id be content with them and move on.... but given the light output from them, i dont think i would want to spent the time and even additional cost to put the factory ones in vs strip LEDs to be honest. My concern at this point is to hook them up to rear lighting that goes off when the truck goes off or tap the constant power and risk them being left on.

mikeru82

Legendary member
Reaction score
The stock LED lights are bright enough for my use, so it was worth the hassle and cost for me. But I can see going with the strips if you want it to be brighter.

STOKED

Reaction score
Why not wire them to the cargo lights so you turn them on with the stock switch?

Richard320

Reaction score
LA County, People's Republic of California
There are so many ways to do it.

I'm going to guess you want super-smple.... no DPDT switches, no relays...

It might look kinda hillbilly, but you could get lucky and it will fit in the cutouts for the factory ligfhts. Crank the knob, you have light. Forget about it? No biggy, They'll go off in an hour. A few LEDs will hardly be noticed by the battery. I've seen some flashights that are blinding and only use a coupe D cells! Click the image for a link.

Jako

Reaction score
There are so many ways to do it.

I'm going to guess you want super-smple.... no DPDT switches, no relays...

It might look kinda hillbilly, but you could get lucky and it will fit in the cutouts for the factory ligfhts. Crank the knob, you have light. Forget about it? No biggy, They'll go off in an hour. A few LEDs will hardly be noticed by the battery. I've seen some flashights that are blinding and only use a coupe D cells! Click the image for a link.

There are many ways to do it. I wanted to install additional reverse lights and in the process I bought a set of Kafeek https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B...03__o00_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1&affid=5thgenrams-20

I eventually installed the Baja reverse lights and had the Kafeeks hanging around so I decided to install them for the bed lights at the end of the bed and tailgate. But I wanted them to come on with my Baja reverse lights.
So as you said there are many ways to do it. I put a DPDT (double pole double throw, on-off-on) switch and wired as per diagram.
Normally the switch is set so the reverse lights come on when in reverse. But if I want bed lights and reverse lights I just flip the switch. I also installed LEDs to the cargo rails, wired also to the 7 pin auxiliary.

I like the idea of lighting up the tailgate area in case I need to work on something at night. The reverse lights are an added bonus to see where I am going. They would have been nice to have back in my time with the BSA (Boy Scouts of America or whatever they call themselves these days) when unloading and laying out the gear.

Like you said a lot of ways of wiring it up, just have to decide what you want.

Ram schematic reverse bed lights.JPG

aimlowrobin

Reaction score
Replace your bed cargo lights (next to 3rd brake) with these, and it will be all you need. Takes 5 minutes or less. I did to my 19 and gave up my plans to also find LEDs for the stock slots and/or strips. Just ordered more for my new truck as well.

mikeru82

Legendary member
Reaction score
Replace your bed cargo lights (next to 3rd brake) with these, and it will be all you need. Takes 5 minutes or less. I did to my 19 and gave up my plans to also find LEDs for the stock slots and/or strips. Just ordered more for my new truck as well.
Those look like a good solution for you, but will not work for anyone with a bed cover, which was my case. I didn't want to have to roll up my cover every time I need to see inside the bed when it's dark outside.

LaxDfns15

Ram Guru
Reaction score
this got me thinking..... What if the strip lighting was hooked up to the above cab cargo light circuit...
Depends on how long you want the lights to be on if the truck's off (cargo light is on a timer). Also depends on if you want the bed lights to turn on every time that light comes on. Do you want your bed to light up every time you unlock the truck?

aimlowrobin

Reaction score
Those look like a good solution for you, but will not work for anyone with a bed cover, which was my case. I didn't want to have to roll up my cover every time I need to see inside the bed when it's dark outside.
gotcha. Sorry if I missed that in the OP.

STOKED

Reaction score
this got me thinking..... What if the strip lighting was hooked up to the above cab cargo light circuit...
That's how I did it. You can find the wire needed to tap into under the rear driver's side door sill. White wire with a tan stripe.

mikeru82

Legendary member
Reaction score
Depends on how long you want the lights to be on if the truck's off (cargo light is on a timer). Also depends on if you want the bed lights to turn on every time that light comes on. Do you want your bed to light up every time you unlock the truck?
Seems like the factory installed bed lights are on the same circuit. Mine come on and go off with the cargo light. The difference is there's a push button switch on the driver's side light so you can turn on the bed lights manually if they turn off while working back there.

That's how I did it. You can find the wire needed to tap into under the rear driver's side door sill. White wire with a tan stripe.

Tapping into the cargo light circuit at that location would have been a lot easier than the way the instructions told me to do it. I'd probably go that route if I were to do it again.

STOKED

Reaction score
Seems like the factory installed bed lights are on the same circuit. Mine come on and go off with the cargo light. The difference is there's a push button switch on the driver's side light so you can turn on the bed lights manually if they turn off while working back there.
You could probably do that with a 3 pole switch. One pole to the cargo circuit, one to a constant power, which you could steal from the 7 pin trailer harness. Just leave it switched to the cargo circuit until you need it on longer.

I might have to do that. Haha

Users who are viewing this thread