5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Bed Holding Water and other Newbie questions

wfblue

Reaction score
I am a new Ram truck owner, having recently purchased a 2019 Limited. I assume some of the answer to these questions are obvious to more seasoned owners, but google has not been forthcoming and I would appreciate any responses:
1. Each time it rains, the bed fills up (primarily toward the cab) with several inches of water. I assumed there was a drain system so that standing water wouldn't accumulate in the bed, but other than parking on an incline or waiting for the water to rush out when I start driving, is there a solution? Is this normal SOP?
2. I have the cargo utility rail. The rails seems like a great opportunity to hang tools, gas cans etc. Does anyone make attachments for it like the cleats that come with the system so you can hang stuff on it?
3. Does anyone make a bed mat that fits in the bed with ramboxes. I don't need the liners that go up the sides, just a mat for the bottom of the bed. I couldn't find anything on the MOPAR site, etc.

Thanks very much in advance. -jg-

Last edited:

Edwards

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I am a new Ram truck owner, having recently purchased a 2019 Limited. I assume some of the answer to these questions are obvious to more seasoned owners, but google has not been forthcoming and I would appreciate any responses:
1. Each time it rains, the bed fills up (primarily toward the cab) with several inches of water. I assumed there was a drain system so that standing water wouldn't accumulate in the bed, but other than parking on an incline or waiting for the water to rush out when I start driving, is there a solution? Is this normal SOP?
2. I have the cargo utility rail. The rails seems like a great opportunity to hang tools, gas cans etc. Does anyone make attachments for it like the cleats that come with the system so you can hang stuff on it?
3. Does anyone make a bed mat that fits in the bed with ramboxes. I don't need the liners that go up the sides, just a mat for the bottom of the bed. I couldn't find anything on the MOPAR site, etc.

On #1, there are several "drains" in the front of the bed. They are really just a few areas where the bottom doesn't run all the way to the front wall of the bed so that water can drain out. A few cracks maybe 1/16" or 1/32" wide? Either you have crud in there (leaves, dirt, etc.) or the folks who did your spray in bedliner went too heavy and sealed them up. Probably best if you look at a Ram without the bedliner to see where they are and then use a plastic tool to cut them back open so they drain.

No idea on the other two.

Wakesnowb

Reaction score

On #1, although there may be drains/cracks towards the front, all trucks with drop in liners would never let water drain out the front. I consider it "normal" to have water build up and sit in the truck until you start driving for it to come out near the tailgate. I do not know how my new truck acts with the OEM spray in liner but I would assume the same.

Also curious as to others input on #2.

Lize

Reaction score
For #3 I've ordered the non Rambox Bedrug mat but haven't got it or my truck yet. Believe others have done the same and there may even be a post with a photo.

I've had bedrugs in previous trucks including their universal mat that I cut to size for a truck they don't make one for. I ordered one for the non Rambox version this time rather than their universal one as it should fill the ribs and make a smoother bed surface, trimming off the wheel well excess with big scissors or a knife will be easy to do.

They are excellent, kind to the knees, non-slip for your cargo, very durable, oil resistant and can be pressure washed. They might seem a bit pricey but I'd highly recommend one.

grinch72

Reaction score

#1 There are/should be drains!
#2 None that I know and I've looked everywhere.
#3 Buy the non ram box bedbug and cut off the wings. fits perfect and the bed rails line up as well!

Wakesnowb

Reaction score

Regarding #2, I read somebody posted something here some time ago stating they really liked the cargo rails because it fits a certain universal accessory. Basically like a base that fits in the rail and then you can attach various types of mounts on top of the base to hold rakes, shovels, hooks, pretty much customize it to your need. I have searched everywhere to try and find that system again but I cannot find or remember exactly what it was..

Last edited:

wfblue

Reaction score
Regarding #2, I read somebody posted something here some time ago stating they really liked the cargo rails because it fits a certain universal accessory. Basically like a base that fits in the rail and then you can attach various types of mounts on top of the base to hold rakes, shovels, hooks, pretty much customize it to your need. I have search everywhere to try and find that system again but I cannot find or remember exactly what it was..

Yes, that slot on the upper side would seem to be perfect. I will keep researching and report back if I find something.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Users who are viewing this thread