5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Bed durability issue

805myth1

Reaction score
FC27324A-BDE8-4A42-AB3C-AC5E0C92851B.jpeg

Curious to know if this is a common problem with the bed sides? Of all of my work trucks that I have had, none have had this issue.

eye exaggerate

Reaction score
View attachment 120326

Curious to know if this is a common problem with the bed sides? Of all of my work trucks that I have had, none have had this issue.
Do you reef on ratchet straps a fair bit? I had to be careful in my 14, too much tension affected the quarters. I had some 2x10 in the box and out over the tailgate, one or two too many clicks I guess, bent the top of the tailgate in. Haven’t strapped anything down in my 19 yet and so I don’t know how they are, but I’m guessing about the same.

Sascwatch

Ram Guru
Reaction score
No problems here except the top cap on the tailgate could cover a bit more that it does, if anything hangs over the back of it it’ll touch the painted surfaces.

805myth1

Reaction score
Do you reef on ratchet straps a fair bit? I had to be careful in my 14, too much tension affected the quarters. I had some 2x10 in the box and out over the tailgate, one or two too many clicks I guess, bent the top of the tailgate in. Haven’t strapped anything down in my 19 yet and so I don’t know how they are, but I’m guessing about the same.
When I lay material on top of the tailgate like in the pic, I don’t use the ratchet straps to tie down the material. I only use them to secure ladders and other materials that are on top of the ladder rack.

SD Rebel

Spends too much time on here
Reaction score
Not the bed itself, by the plastic bed caps on my truck are the weakest I've seen on any truck I've owned. I transferred the same bed rack system I had on my aluminum bed F150, which included crossbars attached to the bedrails and comes with a kayak and bike racks.

Where the rack mounts are attached to the bed, the plastic bed rail covers are bowing out, like they are being crushed even though there isn't a lot of clamping force. I realize the inner supports of the bed caps are just rather weak. I had zero issues on my last truck with this rack, kinda irritating these plastic caps suck .

The metal parts of the bed itself however seem fine.

mikeru82

Legendary member
Reaction score
I've never had that happen on any 4th or 5th gen Ram we've owned (7 total), but we don't lay building materials over the tailgate or bed sides. After seeing your pic I'm glad LOL.

805myth1

Reaction score
Not the bed itself, by the plastic bed caps on my truck are the weakest I've seen on any truck I've owned. I transferred the same bed rack system I had on my aluminum bed F150, which included crossbars attached to the bedrails and comes with a kayak and bike racks.

Where the rack mounts are attached to the bed, the plastic bed rail covers are bowing out, like they are being crushed even though there isn't a lot of clamping force. I realize the inner supports of the bed caps are just rather weak. I had zero issues on my last truck with this rack, kinda irritating these plastic caps suck .

The metal parts of the bed itself however seem fine.

BB794F27-87E4-430A-B3BC-790EAE3F4725.jpeg
Same thing with mine, the plastic side rail caps are bowing from just the rack itself.

Users who are viewing this thread

Site Vendors

https://www.jasonlewisautomotive.com/

Members online