5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Bed Divider Needed for Hauling Smaller Items

dgreen1069

Reaction score
This is my first pickup and I am looking for advice from more seasoned pickup owners. I need a way to carry smaller items in the bed without them sliding everywhere. The most common purpose would be hauling groceries home from the shops. What are you guys using? Is there a must have bed divider you guys like?

OldMarine

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I bought a big plastic 20-30 gallon sized container with a cover that gets secured with snap down hinges at Walmart for about 25.00. Then got a ratcheting divider bar at Tractor supply for 30.00 works great for 50 bucks! I put the container at the end of the bed, with the divider bar right behind it. I have a rubber bed nat so the container doesn't slide. Great for groceries.

rsmeanie

Reaction score
This is my first pickup and I am looking for advice from more seasoned pickup owners. I need a way to carry smaller items in the bed without them sliding everywhere. The most common purpose would be hauling groceries home from the shops. What are you guys using? Is there a must have bed divider you guys like?

Bed extender works well for this purpose. It also doubles to make the bed longer.

B1A7EF09-44A8-484A-808B-7E8A8D2C0458.jpeg 5AEDCB59-0F0F-488C-B1B5-E799F90AAD90.jpeg B0487C71-30B6-44F1-8EE1-16C2F2E5D445.jpeg

Last edited:

Vasa1

Reaction score
Put your groceries in the back seat???

kilcher

Reaction score
This is what I'm doing. Will run you about $50 w/ tax.

Or if you're looking for something cheaper you can just cut a 2x6 to the width of the bed and drop it into the slot on each side between the wheel well and tailgate.

dgreen1069

Reaction score
Put your groceries in the back seat???
That works fine when it's just me, but I have a family of four. Having all the usable space in the bed was what had me wanting a pickup in the first place. I'm just looking for the best ways to utilize that space so I don't have fruits and veggies rolling around as I drive home :cool:

mikeru82

Legendary member
Reaction score
Should have opted for the rambox option. The bed divider works great for that, and there are multiple mounting points for different sizes of cargo.

An expensive option would be to go with the stock bed divider for non-rambox 5th gens...

But I believe it mounts to the bed utility rails that are part of the bed utility group. So you would need to add those (if you don't have them) if you want to use the stock divider...

dgreen1069

Reaction score
Should have opted for the rambox option. The bed divider works great for that, and there are multiple mounting points for different sizes of cargo.
I agree 100%, but I bought my truck from my dad who decided it was a bit big for him. I had been looking at Power Wagons and the Ram Boxes were on my must have list. My dad's truck was like new for much less so I sacrificed my list a little and bought his so he could go another direction. I don't love the way the Ram Boxes look, but the functionality it adds is awesome. Maybe on my next rig.

LaxDfns15

Ram Guru
Reaction score
If you're willing to shell out some cash then a bed cover/bed extender is the way to go. I will be buying the bed extender and hardware once my bonus drive check comes in.

SemperGumby

Reaction score
A 2x6 cut to length is all you need (go 2x8 if planning to haul higher filled bags), it fits in the side bed grooves and holds the grocery bags close enough to the tailgate that they don't shuffle around. You want to get fancy with it attach some hooks midway down the opposite side and you can simply hook the bags over it for extra stability.

mikeru82

Legendary member
Reaction score
If you're willing to shell out some cash then a bed cover/bed extender is the way to go. I will be buying the bed extender and hardware once my bonus drive check comes in.
The Mopar bed extender doesn't work well with all bed covers. It depends on how the cover is mounted. I had a roll up Truxedo LoPro cover on my previous truck. I purchased the Mopar bed extender (made by AMP Research) and installed it myself.

After installation I attempted to flip it into the bed so I could close the tailgate, and that's when I realized the bed extender hits the mounting rail on the driver's side. I had to remove the extender to flip it into the bed. Definitely inconvenient. I was able to find quick disconnect mounts for the bed extender, so removing it to flip it over was a lot easier.

stepbill

Reaction score
Like Gumby, I use a treated 2X12 cut with slight angles to fit in the cutout slots. You can even screw in handles along the top 2 inch wide part to make it easier to pull out.

Diamondback

Ram Guru
Reaction score

I just put them in my RAM BOXES :) LOL

I do have one of those collapsible hard plastic totes under the rear seat storage. It fits 2 bags and some other stuff. I got mine at my local Shopko when they closed down, but I think others said Lowes has them cheap.

dcurtis101

Reaction score
Like Gumby, I use a treated 2X12 cut with slight angles to fit in the cutout slots. You can even screw in handles along the top 2 inch wide part to make it easier to pull out.
I just ordered a 2020 Big Horn with the utility bed group. Now I'm looking at bed divider options. I asked the parts department for options and it was like $900 for an aluminum divider. It was nice because it locked and had the capability of extending out to the end of the tailgate when is lowered. But $900 goes a long way to the next set of real tires if you know what I mean.
Anyway, getting to my question. As part of the bed utility group there are rails to support additional tie downs. I've seen Mopar has a divider for $240 but appears to use a separate rail system? Honestly, I wasn't crazy about one rail system, let alone two. Are there dividers that can be used with the bed utility group?

dcurtis101

Reaction score
I was looking at this today.

For $13 it's worth a shot

Nice! Can't believe the price. The Suburban I'm retiring has a similar net so I think I'll be holding on to it to see if its useful in the RAM bed. For my original RAM '95, I just did a couple of wood rails which you could adjust from vertical slot to slot along the bed, except the wheel wells. But it seems the newer bed design doesn't have these vertical slots in the bed.

jerryw1000

Reaction score
A 2x6 cut to length is all you need (go 2x8 if planning to haul higher filled bags), it fits in the side bed grooves and holds the grocery bags close enough to the tailgate that they don't shuffle around.

I'm cheap....I just use a pressure treated full cut 2x4 in the slot just to have something to keep things from sliding to the front. If I have something a little taller I hook some bungee cords across the back and looped behind the taller items.,,,,or through the handles of my gas cans to keep them from turning over.

highgear2005

Reaction score
There’s many ways to do this! You don’t need to spend much money. Myself I have a old plastic tote that’s strapped near my tailgate. The bigger thing is buy a good bed cover to keep your stuff dry.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Users who are viewing this thread