5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Bed Divider - Drill through for bike fork mount?

Zinger

Reaction score
I want to install a fork mount for my bicycle on top of the bed divider. Does anybody know if the divider is just plastic all the way through or if there is metal in there? It seems very sturdy, so the low load of a fork mount shouldn't require too much strength. I'm thinking drill through the side and use long bolts to secure the fork mount.

The fork mount would be something like this:

https://www.amazon.com/Delta-Bike-H...id=1543767984&sr=8-9&keywords=bike+fork+mount

I was thinking to use an aluminum plate on the backside to add strength for the bolts. So once drilled, the divider would be sandwiched between two metal plates. Mounting on the side (back) of the top rail of the divider would result in no interference with the "wings" during operation of the divider. I was thinking hose clamps at first, but those would interfere, so I think drilling is the only option.

Goatmann

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Reguardless if there is metal sandwiched inside the divider, your using the plate as additional support should work very well.
Use a drill bit for metal just incase.

Will the fork mount be a permanent fixture, or will you be needing to remove it for some reason?

Zinger

Reaction score
Reguardless if there is metal sandwiched inside the divider, your using the plate as additional support should work very well.
Use a drill bit for metal just incase.

Will the fork mount be a permanent fixture, or will you be needing to remove it for some reason?

Permanent. I can't think of why I would need to take it off. Though if I did it would just unbolt.

nilsd

Reaction score
I want to install a fork mount for my bicycle on top of the bed divider. Does anybody know if the divider is just plastic all the way through or if there is metal in there? It seems very sturdy, so the low load of a fork mount shouldn't require too much strength. I'm thinking drill through the side and use long bolts to secure the fork mount.

The fork mount would be something like this:

https://www.amazon.com/Delta-Bike-H...id=1543767984&sr=8-9&keywords=bike+fork+mount

I was thinking to use an aluminum plate on the backside to add strength for the bolts. So once drilled, the divider would be sandwiched between two metal plates. Mounting on the side (back) of the top rail of the divider would result in no interference with the "wings" during operation of the divider. I was thinking hose clamps at first, but those would interfere, so I think drilling is the only option.

Did you ever do this? I came up with the same idea a few days ago and came here to research the same thing (divider material). I was thinking that large thread screw with large delta between major and minor diameter might be sufficient to grab into the plastic. I don't anticipate much force on the fork. Would just be concerned about lateral forces if the divider wall isn't that thick.

Any experience or results you could share would be greatly appreciated!

Users who are viewing this thread