5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Bed-Box Sizes

ksaldutti

Reaction score
I laugh at many dealer comments when asked why sell a vehicle called a pickup truck with a 5.5 foot bed-box? They answered because that’s what people want. That is ludicrous! Most full size pickups finally had to offer minimal 6.4 to 6.9 foot bed-boxes even with extended and full crew size cabs. Anything shorter than a 6.4 bed-box is not a pickup truck, it's a joke, a fat heavy stocky SUV with a useless 3 person size hot tub bed-box. In fact the 5.5 foot bed-box is a quickly dying offering. Another factors are lower box wall depths are also useless. Pickup truck Bed-boxes had started to become shallower so if you enjoyed a bed-box tonneau cover the box became a hassle to fit anything higher than 18~19 inch at the most and still close your tonneau cover especially from weather. So many forced to purchase what has become very expensive bed caps for more height when all you really needed was just a couple more inches of bed wall depth. I guess it saved on mass production of metal costs but didn't due the customer any favors. Noted, that GM/Chevy pickups have lately designed deeper bed-box wall height that really makes a well noticeable difference. There is also a ridiculous situation of the so-called backup lights. I'll admit backup lights exist as a caution to others to let others know you’re in reverse not to light the way. Let's get real and either add or at least make optional real backup lighting that actually aides the path with high intensity LED path flood lighting. I'd be a cheap simple addition from the vehicle manufacturer. Mid-sized pickups have had their infiltration into the full size market so much so many manufacturers over many years have done rotations of stopping and starting this market always considering coming back in with a mini-me full size design that ends up priced deep into the full-size truck costing. The GM Canyon and Chevy Colorado are already priced well into the full-size market with pretty much the same accessories and options only in a slightly smaller platform. Now GM/Chevy are offering a high end premium midsized pickup starting at over $40k and can reach nearly $65k. Let's also remember that your actual fuel millage and costs aren't all that impressive as far as mpg and total annual estimate fuel costs. Strangely the bed-boxes on these midsized pickups are aren't that much smaller than their full-size family pickups, in fact The Honda Ridgeline is the only midsized pickup that is borderline rated as a true half ton just barely making the standards for that criteria. I myself as most don't actually consider the Honda Ridgeline pick up as a truck being set on a car like unibody design platform. Body on frame at least in the United States is a first criteria for a true pick-up truck.

HSKR R/T

locally hated
Site Supporter
Reaction score
This actually has the potential to explode in opinions and become a thread that will not die.

5' vs 6½' is as good a topic as 3.21 vs 3.92 or what weight/brand oil should I use. ;)
All depends on what you want. A Club Cab with a 6.4" bed won't fit in most garages. Shoot, the 5.7" bed doesn't fit in most garages. Need a bigger bed to haul stuff, them buy one. It's an option. Most 1500 owners will never need anything bigger than the 5.7" bed

Talon4U2NV

Reaction score
...First half ton I have only had 3/4 and 1 ton Cummins....I will say that's one of my top gripes. Then the small tank. But I have been living with it and working around it. Upside is longer items just go on a small trailer i have and the box isn't getting beat up much HAHA!

FLiPMaRC

Ram Guru
Reaction score
All depends on what you want. A Club Cab with a 6.4" bed won't fit in most garages. Shoot, the 5.7" bed doesn't fit in most garages. Need a bigger bed to haul stuff, them buy one. It's an option. Most 1500 owners will never need anything bigger than the 5.7" bed
I have a cheap 5x8' utility trailer for those times.

56 Pontiac

Reaction score
I laugh at many dealer comments when asked why sell a ... pick-up truck.
Blah, blah, blah.

My 2022 Crew Cab seats 4 large adults in comfort, which is part of what I wanted. I didn't bother to read all of this rambling but I would not be surprised to hear the opinion "real trucks have 2 doors" but I think my 4-door with great rear leg room is just wonderful (and a comfy ride, too, not like pickups of old).

No comparison between Ram and other manufacturers, Ram has them all beat, regardless of niggling differences in beds.

My"short bed" works fine for me, I don't haul 4x8 sheets of plywood or long pieces of lumber so don't need the length, having the open bed is best for me for hauling rock salt (water softner) or fine salt (swimming pool chlorine generator) or gardening supplies (large bags of stuff for my wife) and is better for me than an SUV.

So don't knock what others like, OK?

Dave

Dewey

Spends too much time on here
Reaction score
I’ve always had the 6’4” bed even way back with my Chevy’s and always ran toppers on them. This is my first 5’7” and came with a tonneau cover so I have much less room.

Most of the time it will be plenty of room but my next hunting trip out of state will no doubt be hindered by it since I’m usually packed full even with a topper. Might have to buy a small enclosed trailer which wouldn’t be the worst thing in the world. Will give me even more room than I ever had and much easier to pack and unpack.

Yankee Echo

Reaction score
Translating OP's rant: Unless you drive an older full-size truck (to get that critical deeper box wall depth) with supplemental backup lights (to see when reversing) and that has a bed of no less than 6 feet 4 inches , you don't drive a "true" pick-up truck. Also, apparently lower box wall depths in newer trucks are a conspiracy by the manufacturers (except possibly Chevy/GMC) to force us to buy expensive bed caps instead of the tonneau covers we really wanted.

Finally just to satisfy my curiosity, I looked up bed depths for Chevy/GMC and Ram. Contrary to what OP stated, box wall depths have actually gotten deeper over the last 30 years (couldn't find depth for a 1992 Ram but confident it's close to Chevy). Not sure what the OP is up to with this nonsense, but I call shenanigans. Maybe they have ownership interest in a tonneau cover manufacturer? :ROFLMAO:

Chevy/GMC
2020 22.4"
2015 21.1"
2008 21.0"
2000 19.5"
1992 19.3"

Ram
2020 21.4"
2015 20.0"
2008 20.2"
2000 19.4"
1992 ?

Last edited:

Ramroo

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I’ve always had the 6’4” bed even way back with my Chevy’s and always ran toppers on them. This is my first 5’7” and came with a tonneau cover so I have much less room.

Most of the time it will be plenty of room but my next hunting trip out of state will no doubt be hindered by it since I’m usually packed full even with a topper. Might have to buy a small enclosed trailer which wouldn’t be the worst thing in the world. Will give me even more room than I ever had and much easier to pack and unpack.

I had a 5’7” bed 3.92 Ram before my current 6’4” bed 3.21 truck.

I’m never going back to either. I have a topper on the 6’4” bed and I love it because I can keep all my hunting stuff in there while hunting and keep it dry and somewhat secure. And also more often keep farm stuff like seed, feed, fertilizer, wood, tools etc. secure and dry. I just personally need the room.

I just had a bed cover on the 5’7” and was way too limiting on hauling volume for me. My wife thinks the topper makes my truck an “old man truck”, but I don’t do things caring about what people think anyway...

Dewey

Spends too much time on here
Reaction score
I had a 5’7” bed 3.92 Ram before my current 6’4” bed 3.21 truck.

I’m never going back to either. I have a topper on the 6’4” bed and I love it because I can keep all my hunting stuff in there while hunting and keep it dry and somewhat secure. And also more often keep farm stuff like seed, feed, fertilizer, wood, tools etc. secure and dry. I just personally need the room.

I just had a bed cover on the 5’7” and was way too limiting on hauling volume for me. My wife thinks the topper makes my truck an “old man truck”, but I don’t do things caring about what people think anyway...
I really wanted a Back Country but unfortunately they only come in a 5’7” box with a crew cab. That was almost a deal breaker but thought I would give it a try. So far I don’t miss the extra 9”.

The main disadvantage I saw with toppers was hauling very bulky items. The topper can be removed but it’s kind of a hassle. Otherwise an advantage in every other way. Who knows I might even ditch my tonneau and buy a topper eventually.

Ramroo

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I really wanted a Back Country but unfortunately they only come in a 5’7” box with a crew cab. That was almost a deal breaker but thought I would give it a try. So far I don’t miss the extra 9”.

The main disadvantage I saw with toppers was hauling very bulky items. The topper can be removed but it’s kind of a hassle. Otherwise an advantage in every other way. Who knows I might even ditch my tonneau and buy a topper eventually.
I have trailers for the heavy, bulky and tall things. I use a hand truck and just roll them up a drop gate or door.

Biga

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I agree, 8' beds are great for hauling but I prefer the Crew Cab Short Bed as it is more a jack of all trades. Not the best at hauling 12' lumber goods but for everything else I've never had an issue, I would consider a 6'4" bed in the future on a crew cab if the need arised.

jl13

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Crew 5'7" currently, previously quad 6'4" both always bed extender and cargo straps for when i need the extra space.

nc_beagle

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I'm not sure what sales look like for the 5'7" vs 6'4" but just looking at lots and what's on the road--in my area--the 5'7" is far from being a dying breed. It's like 90/10 around here in favor of 5'7". Our truck is a travel vehicle and a camper puller. I've got a 1996 F150 with an 8' bed for mulch, etc... If the Ford died, I'd get a trailer to replace it.

I actually spent a lot of time thinking about the bed lengths before I ordered and I don't regret what I got. Even my bed tent worked out pretty well with this bed. Now, I imagine a 5'7" with a RamBox would have noticeably less room inside the bed. I don't think I've ever looked, though.

PurpleRT

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Rambox does take up the area above the fender wells so depends if you need that extra area or not. Had the rambox option been offered in the 5th gens with the 6”4 bed/ free cabI would of ordered that. Instead I get more use out of my Ramboxes on a daily basis then a slightly longer bed so 5”7 w/ rambox for me.

Gone are the days of the 8” beds unless your talking commercial fleet vehicles.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Users who are viewing this thread