5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

BeamTech LED in halogen non-projector lamp

NH_Ram

Reaction score
Just an FYI for those searching for LED options on trucks with the factory halogen lights. I hate the yellow lights and the factory lights are not that great at night.

These are Beamtech LED's, H11 for low beam and fog light, 9005 for high beam. $105 for all 6 bulbs on Amazon.

The only issue I ran into was the low beam fitment. The heat sink on the Beamtech bulbs is large which is a good thing for longevity and heat but putting the dust cap back on was difficult (see picture). You have to force the dust cap on which is in a tight spot then rotate it. The low beam takes the longest too as you have to go through the wheel well liner (four 8mm bolts)

Also, unlike other Beamtech bulbs I've purchased before, these cannot be rotated at all. No big deal as they are already oriented correctly.

Took about 1 hour for all the bulbs.
IMG_20200803_193616~2.jpg

Attachments

• 0803201739a.jpg
    0803201739a.jpg
    97.4 KB · Views: 57

UnloosedChewtoy

5thGenRams Supporter
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Lookin' good. You should take an evening full front shot and post it, I bet it looks even better.

How's the light pattern? Not blinding other drivers, is it? Sometimes really good LEDs in halogen housings have issues with that.

SpeedyV

Ram Connoisseur
Staff member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
How's the light pattern? Not blinding other drivers, is it? Sometimes really good LEDs in halogen housings have issues with that.
That’s why they’re illegal (though rarely enforced)...glare city. Hopefully the OP’s bulbs work well, as it sounds like they can’t be adjusted.

NH_Ram

Reaction score
Lookin' good. You should take an evening full front shot and post it, I bet it looks even better.

Haven't been able to adjust them at night yet due to rain but I have the marks setup on my garage to align them properly. I already angled them down a bit after the level kit and 35's.

NH_Ram

Reaction score
That’s why they’re illegal (though rarely enforced)...glare city. Hopefully the OP’s bulbs work well, as it sounds like they can’t be adjusted.
The housing can be adjusted from the factory for height. The orientation of the LED's can not but they are already set at the same angle as the factory bulbs.

Wsmith

Reaction score
I am one of those malcontents that put LED's in my reflector housing. I done a ton of research and had a friend that was the guinea pig. I put the GTR ulta 2 in, Low, High and fog. I taped my halogen cutoff in my garage, installed the lights. The super bright LED cutoff was as sharp as the original and matched the tape, no assembly adjustment necessary. It literally turned night into day. The GTR's place the led chip at the same location as the halogen filament to mimic the pattern and provide the sharp cutoff. Yes they are illegal but the quality ones produce as good of beam pattern as factory and are several times brighter. I have not been flashed on low beams.

ramchaser

Reaction score
Sorry to burst the LED bubble but putting these in non-projector housings turns your headlights into floodlights and blinds the oncoming vehicles. This is why they are illegal.

Wsmith

Reaction score
Sorry to burst the LED bubble but putting these in non-projector housings turns your headlights into floodlights and blinds the oncoming vehicles. This is why they are illegal.
You bursted no bubble of mine, yes they are illegal. If designed correctly and the proper adjustments are made to the assembly they are no more blinding than LED projectors, my cutoff were just as tight as with my halogens. Buying any bulb that is not designed to mimic the halogen bulb will cause a floodlight effect. Mine do not blind., but you are correct they are illegal. The proof that this can be accomplished is the upgraded light package, they are reflectors with LED bulbs that were designed correctly.

Users who are viewing this thread