5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Beach driving

JakePlissken

Reaction score
Looking for insight here before taking the new truck on the beach. Either way, I’m taking it out there but looking for insight on what to expect.

For background. The truck I drove on the beaches for years was a 2013 F150 standard cab long bed 4x4 with 5.0 V8 equipped with 17” rims and 35” tires.

My truck now is a 2022 RAM Classic Warlock crew cab with 5.7 Hemi 4x4 with 275/60/20 tire and wheel combo. It’s all stock.

My concerns are my old truck was obviously lighter in weight, had more clearance and had a small rim size so I had larger sidewalls for airing down. I’m also still trying to wrap my head around “4 lock” as 4 HI and I’m thinking I’ll want to disable the MDS when on the beach. All things new to me that I never dealt with before.

The obvious questions here are:

1) airing down to 20psi ok on these larger rims and smaller tires without losing a bead?

2) thoughts on disabling MDS when beach driving?

3) is this heavier truck a dog in the sand? Anyone have first hand experience that can provide knowledge?

4) general thoughts on capabilities.

Also, bonus points to anyone who can suggest a good, economical, portable air compressor that can be used of the 115 volt power inverter in the truck.

Thanks in advance.

mcat79

Reaction score
Not a beach, but I’ve been out on the Silver Lake sand dunes in Michigan. Airing down my 18’s to 16lbs (I think) and everything was just fine. The weight of the truck was not an issue, it performed great! Climbed all of the big hills, even test hill. For a portable compressor I use a Ridgid 18v and it works for my needs. It also has a cigarette adapter if the battery runs dry.

rick619

Reaction score
20 psi still seems high. I'd go down to 15 or so. If you don't lose a bead, you're fine. You can try 20 psi if 15 makes you nervous. Just see how it handles and go down a bit if the tires are spinning to much and not grabbing.

I like to keep in in 4hi on sand. Though if you are stuck, switch to 4lo. Generally speaking for sand, keep the foot on the gas, even a little bit to keep momentum. But don't spin the tires much when you're stuck or you'll break something. 4lo to get out if you're stuck. If you still can't get out, get a tug from someone. Don't spin the tires and bury it or break something.

I like VIAIR compressors. Though most I've seen have alligator clips to connect to the battery. If you're wheeling a lot, get one permanently installed.

kapinallinen2

5thGenRams Supporter
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Also, bonus points to anyone who can suggest a good, economical, portable air compressor that can be used of the 115 volt power inverter in the truck.
That inverter is only good for 400 watts, ie. laptop or electric shaver.
You want a compressor, look at ARB or VIAIR.
Me, if airing up frequently, would look into a CO2 system.
Lot faster and no moisture laden air getting pumped into the tires.

rick619

Reaction score
That inverter is only good for 400 watts, ie. laptop or electric shaver.
You want a compressor, look at ARB or VIAIR.
Me, if airing up frequently, would look into a CO2 system.
Lot faster and no moisture laden air getting pumped into the tires.

I wheel a lot in my Jeep, not planning to do much in the truck. I used to have a CO2 tank. It was good 2+ years ago. Now (at least in CA) the prices are too high to refill it. It went from $14 to $25 in a year. So I ended up just selling it and sticking with the air compressor.

Another issue with CO2 is it evaporates. So if you fill up to say 40 and check again in a week, you'll be down to probably around 30 and have to top it off. If you don't top off with a compressor, you will have to keep topping it off. It was just a hassle.

One more issue: There's no way to monitor how full it is other than weighing it (there is no gauge that works). So if you're not on top of it, it will be empty when you still have multiple tires to do.

All in all though, if you don't mind spending the money or taking trips to get it filled, it's quicker than any compressor and can be used more efficiently to re-seat a bead.

I have a 400p auto, it does an OK job for occasional airing up.
I have a 400H, pretty much the same thing. It's been great for around 10 years.

kapinallinen2

5thGenRams Supporter
Site Supporter
Reaction score
I wheel a lot in my Jeep, not planning to do much in the truck. I used to have a CO2 tank. It was good 2+ years ago. Now (at least in CA) the prices are too high to refill it. It went from $14 to $25 in a year. So I ended up just selling it and sticking with the air compressor.

Another issue with CO2 is it evaporates. So if you fill up to say 40 and check again in a week, you'll be down to probably around 30 and have to top it off. If you don't top off with a compressor, you will have to keep topping it off. It was just a hassle.

One more issue: There's no way to monitor how full it is other than weighing it (there is no gauge that works). So if you're not on top of it, it will be empty when you still have multiple tires to do.

All in all though, if you don't mind spending the money or taking trips to get it filled, it's quicker than any compressor and can be used more efficiently to re-seat a bead.

I have a 400H, pretty much the same thing. It's been great for around 10 years.
Good points on a CO2 system.

Mountain Whiskey

Spends too much time on here
Reaction score
Would not worry about the MDS, you will be leaning hard enough on the go pedal that the system should not kick in.
Should not turn on in 4X4 anyway IIRC.
I was thinking the same, I have not been on the sand in this heavy truck but have been in jeeps. Can't imagine coasting over 30 to have MDS kick in. I assume outer banks or similar. Daytona had some sand packed hard enough to take my Harley down once but it is to crowded to go fast.

kapinallinen2

5thGenRams Supporter
Site Supporter
Reaction score
I was thinking the same, I have not been on the sand in this heavy truck but have been in jeeps. Can't imagine coasting over 30 to have MDS kick in. I assume outer banks or similar. Daytona had some sand packed hard enough to take my Harley down once but it is to crowded to go fast.
OBX was pretty soft last time.
Daytona, had the access closed off due to high water level last time I was there.
edit: did take selfies at the good old Boot-hill saloon parking lot, so not a complete waste of a side excursion on my way to home from St.Pete

Last edited:

Darksteel165

Legendary member
Reaction score
20 psi still seems high. I'd go down to 15 or so. If you don't lose a bead, you're fine. You can try 20 psi if 15 makes you nervous. Just see how it handles and go down a bit if the tires are spinning to much and not grabbing.

I like to keep in in 4hi on sand. Though if you are stuck, switch to 4lo. Generally speaking for sand, keep the foot on the gas, even a little bit to keep momentum. But don't spin the tires much when you're stuck or you'll break something. 4lo to get out if you're stuck. If you still can't get out, get a tug from someone. Don't spin the tires and bury it or break something.

I like VIAIR compressors. Though most I've seen have alligator clips to connect to the battery. If you're wheeling a lot, get one permanently installed.
I agree with the driving and psi. I ran 12-14 psi when I went out on the beach and had no problems.
For airing up I just used a regular old compressor into the DC outlet.
I don't know if this make this anymore, I got it from Lowes

I have an M18 I would likely use now and just take an extra battery just in case.

You can get more expensive but it's only a few minutes to airup when you're done even with the cheaper smaller units
These are really nice if you use an regular compressor, quick connects with 1 finger release. https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B099SBMBJV

JakePlissken

Reaction score
Wow! A lot of information here. Thanks. For more background: I frequent the Cape Hatteras area, specifically Oregon Inlet in the Outer Banks. It's a little softer in those parts than the northern shores of Corolla that are typically more hard-packed from frequent drivers. My reservations lie in the fact this is a new truck to me and my first ever RAM. My F150 did marvelous. Again, it was a lighter truck (standard cab, long bed) and I equipped it more for off road adventures (Bilstein shocks, Nitto tires, 17'' rims). I'm also used to being able to just shift into my 4x4 modes on the fly with no need to transition into neutral. New technology to me. I know there have been some comments above about 20 psi not being enough air out but the larger rims and smaller rubber still concern me. Overall thoughts on the capabilities of this truck as-is in stock configuration are what I'm looking for. Thanks.

rick619

Reaction score
Wow! A lot of information here. Thanks. For more background: I frequent the Cape Hatteras area, specifically Oregon Inlet in the Outer Banks. It's a little softer in those parts than the northern shores of Corolla that are typically more hard-packed from frequent drivers. My reservations lie in the fact this is a new truck to me and my first ever RAM. My F150 did marvelous. Again, it was a lighter truck (standard cab, long bed) and I equipped it more for off road adventures (Bilstein shocks, Nitto tires, 17'' rims). I'm also used to being able to just shift into my 4x4 modes on the fly with no need to transition into neutral. New technology to me. I know there have been some comments above about 20 psi not being enough air out but the larger rims and smaller rubber still concern me. Overall thoughts on the capabilities of this truck as-is in stock configuration are what I'm looking for. Thanks.

One of the biggest problems we face when wheeling with people new to the hobby is that they don't want to air down enough to be helpful. I've been on the hardest trails in California (with a Jeep, not a Ram truck) where I'm aired down to 5psi (though I have beadlocks). Most other experienced wheelers without beadlocks are aired down 9psi or lower. Then you have one guy that can't get up any obstacle without a tug. Doesn't look to be aired down at all.

This is how the conversation usually goes:

Dude! Are you aired down?

Dude: Yes, I aired down this morning at the trail head.

Me: What did you air down to?

Dude: I aired down from 35psi to 25.

Me: Ok, that's not enough. Lets get you down to at least 12

Dude: I don't want to go that low. I might lose a bead.

Me: If you lose a bead, we can re-seat it. Lets get you down lower. 25 is street pressure for my Jeep, so not going to be enough.

It goes on and on. Bottom line, go to whatever your comfortable with. If you are getting stuck, you probably need to go lower. If others on that beach are suggesting you go lower, listen to them.

Also, probably the most important rule: Never go alone. Assume you will get stuck.

HSKR R/T

locally hated
Site Supporter
Reaction score
You don't have to shift to neutral to shift into 4wd, unless you are trying to go 4-lo, and I can't imagine your Ford let you shift to 4-lo on the fly.

No need to disable MDS, I'd be highly surprised if you ever got to a place where it would even think about turning in when wheeling in sand.

Definitely air down. You can safely go to 15psi without worry of losing a bead, unless you are hurting hard objects at higher speeds.

I'd opt for either a battery powered inflator like the Milwaukee M12 or M18 with a couple of extra batteries, or one of the 12v plug in models.
Seems you have experience driving in sand, so shouldn't need any tips on that.

Blackdog.Tx

Reaction score
I do a little light wheeling on beach, desert, and mud.... enough to share some solutions to my learning experiences. I've been snatched and I've used my boards. I've always carried recovery items in my stock trucks and when I had 34" ATs. I currently have 33" A/Ts on stock rims.

Gear I keep in truck all the time:
1. Smittybuilt air compressor - 12 volt
2. Tire deflators
3. Traction boards
4. Hitch shackle and snatch line (know how to use it)
5. Shovel
6. High lift jack and wheel lifts for jack
7. Camp out items, basics: bug spray, sun screen, water,, food, snacks, etc

If you dont have front tow hooks, consider adding them.

I expect LT tires can be aired lower than P rated...be careful going low with P rated tires. I air down no lower than rim size.... 20" = 20 psi. (I read that somewhere, good enough for me so far.)

I take off traction control and use 4H. (Completely disable - hold esc button 5 sec)

Watch the tide. I drive on the hard packed sand lower than tide line provided I know the tide isn't coming in soon, and I dont drive near waterline. Don't get stuck low on beach on incoming tide. (I saw a guy parked near waterline partying in a 2 wheel drive and tide came in... lots of shoveling and 2 trucks to pull him out... I didnt stick around to see damages.)

I wash and rinse underbody ASAP when leaving beach.

Traction boards make recovery easy if you dont get in deep. Use a shovel to clear sand before recovery.

Use your rear shackle hitch to recover someone else. Avoid using front tow hooks in reverse to recover... I understand transmission in reverse is not designed for pulling.

What he said earlier, just expect to get stuck on the beach and plan to get out on your own.

Last edited:

kapinallinen2

5thGenRams Supporter
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Going to bring up one major negative, as far as driving in any salty environment goes.
The front CV axle splines have zero grease and no seals, they will rust and become a headache to replace when they let go.

JakePlissken

Reaction score
Going to bring up one major negative, as far as driving in any salty environment goes.
The front CV axle splines have zero grease and no seals, they will rust and become a headache to replace when they let go.
That's where Fluid Film is your best friend ;)

JakePlissken

Reaction score
You don't have to shift to neutral to shift into 4wd, unless you are trying to go 4-lo, and I can't imagine your Ford let you shift to 4-lo on the fly.

No need to disable MDS, I'd be highly surprised if you ever got to a place where it would even think about turning in when wheeling in sand.

Definitely air down. You can safely go to 15psi without worry of losing a bead, unless you are hurting hard objects at higher speeds.

I'd opt for either a battery powered inflator like the Milwaukee M12 or M18 with a couple of extra batteries, or one of the 12v plug in models.
Seems you have experience driving in sand, so shouldn't need any tips on that.
You are correct with the no need for neutral prior to 4-lock/hi. Just tried yesterday.

Biggiehorn

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I was out on Daytona this past weekend and it was my first time taking this truck on the beach. Like a few mentioned above though, the sand was really compacted from all the traffic. I honestly didn't even air down and the truck handled it fine. We did park in area with some softer sand, and the ramp we used when exiting the beach had a decent incline with soft sand and the truck handled all of it without any hiccups.

I know most beaches aren't as compacted as what the sand is in Daytona, so I 100% agree with what a lot of the others suggested above. As far as a portable inflator, I have the Lasfit Air TK1 inflator and it has come in handy several times. It is part of their offroad line of products and can handle large truck tires. Not a replacement for an onboard air system obviously, but it works well for what it is.

Way2QWK

Reaction score
I had my truck out at a beach in Mexico a few months ago. Truck drove fine in the soft sand. It did need 4 wheel drive engaged to get through the sand but performed fine. No air down or anything as I wasn't planning on being able to drive on this beach.

Attachments

• 20240316_123708.jpg
    20240316_123708.jpg
    94.4 KB · Views: 13
  • 20240316_123747.jpg
    20240316_123747.jpg
    95.9 KB · Views: 13
  • 20240316_123803.jpg
    20240316_123803.jpg
    89.5 KB · Views: 13

Users who are viewing this thread