5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

BDS worth the extra $$$ ?????

Reaction score
looking to lift my 2019 Limited with Air Ride and see only BDS and rough country are my options. Is BDS really worth the extra $1k over RC? RC has a 5” and BDS is 4”. I want to keep ride quality as close to factory (or better) as possible since 99% of my driving is commuting. There may be rare occasions where I would go on dirt, but nothing too intense. What do you guys think?

Novacain

Reaction score
IMO.
I had a 2019 that I put a 6" RC lift and ride quality seemed to go down hill, it would feel like a shudder and the front bounce to the left going over bumps or pot holes on dirt roads.
Now I have a 2020 with a BDS 6" lift and ride quality is about the same or as close to stock in my opinion, its smooth, no shudder or bounce in the front end going over the same terrain as the 2019 with the RC lift.
the only difference between the 2 trucks are the year & lift kits, everything else I had on the 19 was transferred to the 20. ie: wheels & tires + the accessories that don't effect the suspension or ride quality.

hope this helps with your decision.
regardless on which one you go with if it comes with replacement springs for the rear make sure you transfer the plastic guards off the OEM spring to the new one in the kit or you get (in my experience) a clanging sound from the back going over bumps.
The RC Kit came with blocks and retained the OEM spring but the BDS has a replacement spring.

Stevenc150

Reaction score
Found this vid which had some interesting points about RC products. But it is a youtube vid so take it fwiw...

Reaction score
IMO.
I had a 2019 that I put a 6" RC lift and ride quality seemed to go down hill, it would feel like a shudder and the front bounce to the left going over bumps or pot holes on dirt roads.
Now I have a 2020 with a BDS 6" lift and ride quality is about the same or as close to stock in my opinion, its smooth, no shudder or bounce in the front end going over the same terrain as the 2019 with the RC lift.
the only difference between the 2 trucks are the year & lift kits, everything else I had on the 19 was transferred to the 20. ie: wheels & tires + the accessories that don't effect the suspension or ride quality.

hope this helps with your decision.
regardless on which one you go with if it comes with replacement springs for the rear make sure you transfer the plastic guards off the OEM spring to the new one in the kit or you get (in my experience) a clanging sound from the back going over bumps.
The RC Kit came with blocks and retained the OEM spring but the BDS has a replacement spring.
That’s great feedback! I’ve heard much of the same, but mine has the Air Ride suspension. I haven’t been getting too much negative feedback regarding the that so I’m wondering if the Bags play any part.

SColang22

Reaction score
Realistically you’re just adding more metal. If I remember right both systems use spacers in order to reuse factory parts. If you go with the new coil overs it’s different but if you are reusing factory parts with spacers it’s the exact same thing. There use to be a huge difference in quality between rough country and the others but recently rough country has really stepped it up. If you are just going to for looks and arnt gonna beat on it I would go rough country. If you are also upgrading the coil overs and gonna go hard off-road go with BDS

Users who are viewing this thread