5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

BDS Lift kit questions/Advice

Bigdumps

Reaction score
Hey, I've tried searching this and it never shows up, directly.

So, I have a 2020 Ram Sport with 3.21 ratio.

I priced out the Mopar 2" lift at my dealer, with UCA and Fox shocks. $2100 installed would probably add the ORP struts to the front to get it properly level.

Then I read about the ready lift 3.5" - cost $2900 including alignment.

Then I went off the deep end with a BDS lifts
4"-$3900 installed and aligned. P#1663H
6" -$4100 installed and aligned. P#1661H

My questions are, I really want a great ride quality most importantly.
Why do the BDS lifts not include UCA's? Both shops say, it's not required.

Would a 6" and 35" tires be to hard on the 3.21 ratio?
Anyone who has experience/opinions with the BDS lifts, please let me know.

Any and all input welcome with what I should go with.

ksn240

Ram Guru
Reaction score
You don't need new UCAs because a true lift kit like BDS comes with new steering knuckles. These knuckles are larger and as a result keep the stock UCA in the exact same spot/angle/geometry as it was from the factory.

As far as your gears go you will be fine. I have 3.21 gears with the 6" BDS and 35" tires. There is a slight power loss. I just cranked my Pedal Commander up another notch and haven't missed a beat. There is plenty of power left, even when passing people on the highway at speed. Your gas mileage will tank though. I average about 13, but I do have a lead foot.

Bigdumps

Reaction score
Hey thank you!
My mileage is already dismal, roughly 13 mpg/18Lper100 in Canadian.(with remote starting)
On the only highway I got roughly 18mpg.
How's the ride quality with the 6"? Any pics?

Spoke with my dealer about warranty today, nothing caused by or related to the lift would be covered by warranty, even if they install...
So now I'm just weighing the choice. I don't trust dealers, I always think they'll just blame every issue(brake squeak which I've had fixed 3 times, some creak/clunk when I slow roll over bumps) on the lift.

FishOn

Reaction score
FWIW, if you're trying to do this anytime soon, you might wanna place your BDS order now. I ordered my 6" coilover kit on 9/16 and they are supposed to ship tomorrow... (11/19) Freaking COVID is killing everyone's delivery times.

Bigdumps

Reaction score
Hey, thank you! Any concerns with it conflicting with your factory warranty?

In Canada, at least where I am, a few local shops had it there warehouse.

ksn240

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Hey thank you!
My mileage is already dismal, roughly 13 mpg/18Lper100 in Canadian.(with remote starting)
On the only highway I got roughly 18mpg.
How's the ride quality with the 6"? Any pics?

Spoke with my dealer about warranty today, nothing caused by or related to the lift would be covered by warranty, even if they install...
So now I'm just weighing the choice. I don't trust dealers, I always think they'll just blame every issue(brake squeak which I've had fixed 3 times, some creak/clunk when I slow roll over bumps) on the lift.
BDS has a lifetime warranty with their products so I wouldn’t worry there. If something goes out as a result of the lift they will cover it. Ride quality is pretty good. A bit stiff but that’s due to the tires more than the lift. Only thing I don’t like about the kit is if you don’t go for coil overs then the front uses a preload spacer. I don’t want to drop the money on coil overs right now so I will end up swapping out the front struts for 5100s to ditch the preload spacer. I did get Fox shocks for the rear and they ride great.

Attachments

• 8AE5C257-C0BE-470E-A293-8582E387E880.jpeg
    8AE5C257-C0BE-470E-A293-8582E387E880.jpeg
    135.8 KB · Views: 330
  • 2B5E1C8C-CC60-4C93-BA07-5C27DDA98891.jpeg
    2B5E1C8C-CC60-4C93-BA07-5C27DDA98891.jpeg
    156.3 KB · Views: 346
  • 94B8991E-6152-4192-B81D-CB51C1E6FC27.jpeg
    94B8991E-6152-4192-B81D-CB51C1E6FC27.jpeg
    172.9 KB · Views: 331
  • 8FA9D82E-6550-458B-AEB8-D4B5BD93E0D4.jpeg
    8FA9D82E-6550-458B-AEB8-D4B5BD93E0D4.jpeg
    152.5 KB · Views: 320

Bigdumps

Reaction score
Oh wow! That looks awesome, absolute monster! I see you have 35s as well.
As for warranty, I meant more of a "oh your transfer case is clunking because of the lift" type dealer bs.

But see your truck and what I think is a Jeep Grand Cherokee beside it, I'm beginning to think a 6" is maybe to big! Lol gonna been a step ladder and crane to get my tools out of the box lol
I really like how yours looks

ksn240

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Oh wow! That looks awesome, absolute monster! I see you have 35s as well.
As for warranty, I meant more of a "oh your transfer case is clunking because of the lift" type dealer bs.

But see your truck and what I think is a Jeep Grand Cherokee beside it, I'm beginning to think a 6" is maybe to big! Lol gonna been a step ladder and crane to get my tools out of the box lol
I really like how yours looks
Appreciate it. 6” is up there. I actually ordered the 4” kit but the wrong one was sent and the shop installed it anyway. I was going to make them swap it out, but I love the ride height though it would look better with 37s.

And yeah, that’s my wife’s Grand Cherokee next to it.

FishOn

Reaction score
6" BDS coilovers on 37x12.5x20. Roughly 46" to the top of the wheel well all around. Rides like a freaking Cadillac and I've barely played with the DSC settings. I opted for the UCAs also, can't beat a lifetime warranty.
20201129_162423.jpg

DeepH2ODriller

Reaction score
BDS has a lifetime warranty with their products so I wouldn’t worry there. If something goes out as a result of the lift they will cover it. Ride quality is pretty good. A bit stiff but that’s due to the tires more than the lift. Only thing I don’t like about the kit is if you don’t go for coil overs then the front uses a preload spacer. I don’t want to drop the money on coil overs right now so I will end up swapping out the front struts for 5100s to ditch the preload spacer. I did get Fox shocks for the rear and they ride great.
Sorry to bring up an old thread. I’m looking into buying the BDS 4” lift. Did you ever swap to 5100’s in front? Do you think there would be any difference in ride like this?

ksn240

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Sorry to bring up an old thread. I’m looking into buying the BDS 4” lift. Did you ever swap to 5100’s in front? Do you think there would be any difference in ride like this?
I haven't swapped my struts yet. The 4" kit doesn't use a preload spacer so the ride should be pretty close to stock.

FuriousDZ

Reaction score
6" BDS coilovers on 37x12.5x20. Roughly 46" to the top of the wheel well all around. Rides like a freaking Cadillac and I've barely played with the DSC settings. I opted for the UCAs also, can't beat a lifetime warranty.
I Have this same setup and love it!!! Ride is incredible!!

Attachments

• IMG-0177.jpg
    IMG-0177.jpg
    211.1 KB · Views: 173
  • IMG-0178.jpg
    IMG-0178.jpg
    183.5 KB · Views: 173

Rebel27

Reaction score
I have the 4” lift. How did you get 5100’s for yours? I called Bilstein and they said they have nothing that’ll fit my truck with the lift kit

Alxmlr789

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I have the 4” lift. How did you get 5100’s for yours? I called Bilstein and they said they have nothing that’ll fit my truck with the lift kit

the 4” uses a stock strut, so just use a 5100 at the lowest setting.

MadMater'

Reaction score
you have a Rebel? Bilstein technically doesn't list 5100s as compatible with Rebels so they will tell you it will not work. (just went thru this with them and my shop) Even tho there are alot of people here running them (including myself). They will work but for one reason or another are not listed as compatible by Bilstein.

Scmil

Reaction score
I don't have BDS to be able to speak on that, but I have the 6in Zone lift. I ditched the preload that it came with recently and put in a set of 5100s in the front instead. The ride is great, was not bad before by any means. Just an option, while not as "good" as a BDS lift, I have had Zone on other trucks as well and never had any issues. The 5100s are hard to find online, but I went through my local shop and they were able to source from two different locations and had them to me in a few days.

JerryBsizzle

Reaction score
I'll chime in. 6" Fabtech lift with 35's. Stock control arms because like previously mentioned the knuckles get changed and the control arm is in the exact alignment as stock. Rides and drives great. Turning radius suffered, but otherwise it's great!
20210411_154200.jpg
20210329_183121.jpg

Rebel27

Reaction score
I’m gonna talk to my 4x4 shop about getting the 5100’s. Thanks for the advice all! Much rather go that route and save money

Rebel27

Reaction score
Y
you have a Rebel? Bilstein technically doesn't list 5100s as compatible with Rebels so they will tell you it will not work. (just went thru this with them and my shop) Even tho there are alot of people here running them (including myself). They will work but for one reason or another are not listed as compatible by Bilstein.
Ya I have a Rebel. I’m looking at the 5100’s and am looking at the extended/collapsed lengths. I don’t see how they’ll work. Kinda new to this so can you hide me a part number? Maybe I’m looking in the wrong area. Thank you

PaulDaher

Reaction score
I am looking at leveling or lifting my new 2022 ram 1500 eco diesel with air ride. I was wondering if it would be better to get a 2.5” level kit or 3.5” or 4” level kit. With the 2.5” level kit I was going to use links to adjust the height of the air ride 1” above normal (set off-road 1 as normal to save cost). What do you guys think would be the best option.

2.5” level kit with links for 3.5” total lift cost-$2800

4” BDS lift- $5k

I will be putting on 35” Falken AT3W’s

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread