5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

BDS 3” Lift for Rebel (ORP)

Muter91

Reaction score
I’ve scoured the forum with the search function looking for any info on the BDS 3” lift for 2019+ Rams, to no avail.
I have a 2023 Rebel, and would like to upgrade the suspension and get a couple inches of lift to add some bigger tires. Definitely not looking to use spacers.

I’ve narrowed my search down to a few options… I have looked into Bilstein 6112’s/5160 combo and the Carli commuter system, of which there is tons of info, but I haven’t found anything relating to the BDS 3” kit. Here’s the link for reference:

Has anyone with (or without) a rebel used this kit? Any other opinions on a non spacer 2-3 inch kit?

Thanks.

mplaramie

Reaction score
I recently put this on my 24 Laramie non ORP. Have about 300 miles on it and love it. I've run spacers, bills and ICON before. The BDS 3" with Fox DSC kit is amazing. My truck seems to have settled just under 3" front and 1 1/2" rear.

If you have questions, I may have some answers to help.

Muter91

Reaction score
Thanks. I don’t think I need shocks with reservoirs since I don’t do desert running or high speed off-roading, mostly just hunting trails, logging roads, etc. but it appears to be one of the only coil over kits I can find that will actually lift the rebel a solid 2 inches.

How is the ride compared to stock? UCA Ball joint angles look good? Did you need any other parts to make it work? I see you have the suspension Maxx end links and hellwig sway bar too.

mplaramie

Reaction score
The ride is fantastic out of the box. Keep in mind, if you get cheap tires any suspension can ride like sh!t. I didn't need reservoirs either but I do like having the adjustability. They do well in both low and high speed driving. I live in upstate NY where the roads suck. Haven't done any trails and don't plan on it.

All you really need is the BDS kit and some longer rear end links. I did all the other upgrades because I have a sickness, not because it was needed. Also, Billstein amd Eibach ar good choices but you need to get angle correcting UCA'S. Personally, I liked getting the kit with it all from one source.

Attachments

• 20240516_163412.jpg
    20240516_163412.jpg
    191.2 KB · Views: 32
  • 20240516_163421.jpg
    20240516_163421.jpg
    202.7 KB · Views: 32

H2OMAN

Ram Guru
Reaction score
It's a very popular kit. I'm not a huge fan of BDS but this is a top notch kit with some of the very best shocks on the market. You will not be disappointed.

HAY-MAN

Reaction score
I'm running the BDS 3 in 2.5 Fox kit with non resI rear shocks. Method 305 -12 offset 18 in wheels and Nitto Trail Grappler muds 35x11.5 on my 21 Rebel. Had a little rub so removed front mud flap and trimmed metal tab the mud flap connects too. Perfect set up and much better ground clearance. Drives great and great hunting rig. If you don't want to trim, run 34's, not much difference.

Muter91

Reaction score
Thanks for the replies everyone. I’ll post pics when I eventually make a decision and get everything installed…

boogielander

Ram Guru
Reaction score
the thing about 3" kit is BDS doesn't publish travel stats, so that makes me think the fronts are just regular Fox 2.5 DSC EXT coilovers. With those, you do NOT want them at 3" because the suspension travel is actually limited than when set at 2" (Fox factory setting) or 2.5" (slight reduce of travel).

Assuming your shock has travel level of 1 to 10. At 2" setting, you're sitting in the middle, level 5. This gives you 5 levels of travel up and down for compression and rebound. Now, at 3" setting, your ride height/ starting point is at level 4, stretching your suspension by 1" and limits your travel since the overall available travel length remain the same. Also assuming it's the regular 2.5 DSC EXT coilovers, the spring rate is actually most suitable for 2" lift as it is the most natural ride height. When cranking the preload adjuster downward to achieve 3" lift, you're compressing the springs and therefore, storing more energy in the coils and stiffening the ride. Unfortunately, there's no correct way to achieve 3" while retaining full suspension travel at 3" lift for IFS, due to the limitation of IFS.

just something to think about... are you willing to trade "suspension travel/ full functionality" for "looks"?

i know it's based on assumption, BUT if there's something actually different from these 3" kits, the company would've announce it openly as a marketing strategy. Without suspension travel data, it is logical to assume there's nothing special done for BDS to achieve 3" other than cranking the preload.

Muter91

Reaction score
the thing about 3" kit is BDS doesn't publish travel stats, so that makes me think the fronts are just regular Fox 2.5 DSC EXT coilovers. With those, you do NOT want them at 3" because the suspension travel is actually limited than when set at 2" (Fox factory setting) or 2.5" (slight reduce of travel).

Assuming your shock has travel level of 1 to 10. At 2" setting, you're sitting in the middle, level 5. This gives you 5 levels of travel up and down for compression and rebound. Now, at 3" setting, your ride height/ starting point is at level 4, stretching your suspension by 1" and limits your travel since the overall available travel length remain the same. Also assuming it's the regular 2.5 DSC EXT coilovers, the spring rate is actually most suitable for 2" lift as it is the most natural ride height. When cranking the preload adjuster downward to achieve 3" lift, you're compressing the springs and therefore, storing more energy in the coils and stiffening the ride. Unfortunately, there's no correct way to achieve 3" while retaining full suspension travel at 3" lift for IFS, due to the limitation of IFS.

just something to think about... are you willing to trade "suspension travel/ full functionality" for "looks"?

i know it's based on assumption, BUT if there's something actually different from these 3" kits, the company would've announce it openly as a marketing strategy. Without suspension travel data, it is logical to assume there's nothing special done for BDS to achieve 3" other than cranking the preload.
Thanks for the reply, great info.

May as well just get the fox 2.5 DSC EC set at 2” and UCA.

But, I measured my height today and have only 2” of rake, so I don’t even think I would be able to have my front set at 2” without putting in some new 1.5” lift springs in the rear, and then I’d only have .5” of rake (even less on the driver side with the weight of a full gas tank, battery, e torque, and my fat ***).

Last edited:

boogielander

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Thanks for the reply, great info.

May as well just get the fox 2.5 DSC EC set at 2” and UCA.

But, I measured my height today and have only 2” of rake, so I don’t even think I would be able to have my front set at 2” without putting in some new 1.5” lift springs in the rear, and then I’d only have .5” of rake (even less on the driver side with the weight of a full gas tank, battery, e torque, and my fat ***).
hmm interesting. put in a set of Carli rear springs and you shouldn't rake as much.

1717296397726.png
With Fox 2.5 DSC EXT, Carli UCA, CArli Rebel HD springs, and Carli Rear End Links.
Springs are rated for 500lb constant while I only had about 300lb constant. Springs lift the rear .5" to level the truck out, with or without load.

Muter91

Reaction score
hmm interesting. put in a set of Carli rear springs and you shouldn't rake as much.

View attachment 184176
With Fox 2.5 DSC EXT, Carli UCA, CArli Rebel HD springs, and Carli Rear End Links.
Springs are rated for 500lb constant while I only had about 300lb constant. Springs lift the rear .5" to level the truck out, with or without load.
Sorry, was tired when i posted that last night. The fox 2.5s set at 2” would really only give me 1” over my current ride height on the rebel right?

boogielander

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Sorry, was tired when i posted that last night. The fox 2.5s set at 2” would really only give me 1” over my current ride height on the rebel right?
yes.
but that's the most functional ride height. not much you can do about that if you want more because IFS.

Users who are viewing this thread