5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Battery Tender recommendation for our trucks?...

The 5Amp is overkill for simply maintaining a battery.

Absolutely, but manufactures and marketing people know many will blindly believe more is better and will pay more money to get it whether they need it or not. Given the need the OP expressed, a 1amp charger will be more than adequate to meet the need and a 5amp charger will provide no additional benefit, but will cost about twice as much.

And there are those that will buy the smallest cheapest crap they can get by with and try to justify it using thinly veiled insults. Then buy it again when it fails, or buy another.

I own both brands in different sizes, a larger 40/100 charger/jump, and a few portable jump boxes including a NOCO Boost X GBX155 4250A for my Cummins, and stand by my recommendation. For the price, it's the best product and can also serve as a charger if needed. The 750Ma or 1A are not going to work if a quick charge is needed.

Buy once, cry once. Two is one, one is none. Pick your poison.

And there are those that will buy the smallest cheapest crap they can get by with and try to justify it using thinly veiled insults. Then buy it again when it fails, or buy another.

Ignorant nonsense. No one is suggesting the "cheapest crap". As a matter of fact nearly all the suggestions were of the exact same manufacture; just different amp ratings.

I own both brands in different sizes, a larger 40/100 charger/jump, and a few portable jump boxes including a NOCO Boost X GBX155 4250A for my Cummins, and stand by my recommendation. For the price, it's the best product and can also serve as a charger if needed. The 750Ma or 1A are not going to work if a quick charge is needed.

Buy once, cry once. Two is one, one is none. Pick your poison.

You are completely ignoring the OP's expressed need and use. He's looking for a maintainer for when the vehicle sits for extended purposes. For his use anything more than a 1 amp maintainer is a waste of money. A 1 amp maintainer will even charge a depleted battery over a few days. If he said he need a battery charger for a quick charge then I would have suggested he buy a battery charger; not a maintainer.

I have a Noco Genius 10 charger/maintainer mounted under the hood of my 3500 plus one to use on my other vehicles. It's not overkill, it's having the ability to charge or maintain for any situation. Some of the comments on this thread about 1 amp capabilities are absurd.

I originally used the Noco Genius G7200, which has been discontinued and replaced by the G10. I still have it to loan to neighbors in need.

Some of the comments on this thread about 1 amp capabilities are absurd.

By all means, be precise and tell us exactly what comments about 1 amp capabilities are absurd and make a logical argument to support your position.

A 1 amp maintainer will charge a severely discharged car battery in about 60 hours and that's a fact. I used a 1 amp maintainer on the trolling battery for a Ranger bass boat for many years and it was more than adequate for the task. The op isn't even talking about charging a depleted battery. All he needs is a maintainer.

In this case, more is not better, it just costs more.

Man thank you guys for all the help. I greatly appreciate this. Nothing against anyone else but gona go with @Brutal_HO and go with NOCO 5amp. I have a 1amp on my toys just in my head it doesnt seem enough for the truck, didnt think people actually use them for trucks. So even though i dont have a HD im gona go with the Noco 5. Appreciate the advice

As others have correctly stated, your 1 amp maintainer would be sufficient for your need and it will charge your battery, just at a slower rate.

I use a Battery Tender Junior on one of my motorcycles. It's only 750mA, but I think even it would maintain a charged truck battery just fine.

I believe most modern vehicles only consume about 85mA an hour parked, plus or minus. I'm not sure what the Ram parked power consumption is.

The NOCO 5 just charges faster if you use it to charge a partially depleted battery.

Ignorant nonsense. No one is suggesting the "cheapest crap". As a matter of fact nearly all the suggestions were of the exact same manufacture; just different amp ratings.

You are completely ignoring the OP's expressed need and use. He's looking for a maintainer for when the vehicle sits for extended purposes. For his use anything more than a 1 amp maintainer is a waste of money. A 1 amp maintainer will even charge a depleted battery over a few days. If he said he need a battery charger for a quick charge then I would have suggested he buy a battery charger; not a maintainer.

I have a dog in this fight so I'm trying to stay impartial, but your continued use of this favorite term of yours, "Ignorant nonsense" when responding to other members needs to stop.

20240829_170746.jpg

I've used this on my Ram while it sat idle for three months last summer and three months this summer. First start was just like normal both times.

Man thank you guys for all the help. I greatly appreciate this. Nothing against anyone else but gona go with @Brutal_HO and go with NOCO 5amp. I have a 1amp on my toys just in my head it doesnt seem enough for the truck, didnt think people actually use them for trucks. So even though i dont have a HD im gona go with the Noco 5. Appreciate the advice
This is what I use too

I also use the NOCO Genius 5 for my 911. The truck gets driven much more. It may be overkill, but I'd rather have the extra juice. I once used it to completely restore dead and damaged boat batteries. I've also used it to boost up golf cat batteries.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back